This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Safety Concept to Mitigate Slippery Road Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 30, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Antilock braking systems (ABS) are inherently limited by the static coefficient of friction (µ) between a vehicle’s tires and the road surface. This paper explores a unique active safety concept, Integrated Coefficient Enhancement (ICE), which works to improve ABS well beyond their present limits. The ICE concept was developed using a basic physics principle: to change µ between two surfaces, at least one of the surfaces must be altered in some way. By quickly deploying a specially designed tractive medium (TM) to aid in directional stability and braking, hazardous situations can be greatly mitigated. This paper describes the features and testing results of this TM and its aerodynamic-mechanical-electronic deployment apparatus. Under all slippery road conditions tested, the developed TM mitigated skidding, with improvements that ranged from 20% to several hundred percent, depending on conditions and deployment rates.
CitationSkarie, J., "Active Safety Concept to Mitigate Slippery Road Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-5002, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-5002.
- Schumacher , C. and McConnell , D. Technical Leadership Challenges for Highly Automated Driving: Technology Leadership Brief SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-9003 2012 10.4271/2012-01-9003
- Wikipedia, Braking Distance, by Wikipedia contributors Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia 13 April 2017
- Mondal , P. , Sharma , N. , Kumar , A. , Bhangale , U. et al. Effect of Rainfall and Wet Road Condition on Road Crashes : A Critical Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0104 2011 10.4271/2011-26-0104
- Schulson , P. , Duval , P. Creep and Fracture of Ice 246 Cambridge University Press first 2009 978-521-80620-6
- Macnabb , M. , Baerg , R. , Sanderson , S. , Chafe , B. et al. Tire/Ice Friction Values SAE Technical Paper 960959 1996 10.4271/960959
- Bhoopalam , A. , Sandu , C. , and Taheri , S. Tire Traction of Commercial Vehicles on Icy Roads SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 2 357 365 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2292