This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An FEA Implementation of Energy Flow for Brake Squeal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The standard method for using FEA to predict and eliminate brake squeal has been to use complex eigenvalue analysis (CEA). Energy flow analysis has been adapted for use with FEA for brake squeal as an alternate mechanism for squeal prediction. This paper demonstrates an implementation of energy flow analysis with commercially available FEA software. The approach leverages the ability of commercial FEA solvers to obtain a quasi-static, pre-loaded brake model, as well as their eigenvalue extraction algorithms to create a modal space for energy flow calculations. The modal spaces as well as the pre-loaded stiffness matrix are then utilized to calculate energy flow values between nearby system modes. Three case studies are presented that compare the results of CEA and energy flow to different systems and countermeasures adopted to reduce noise occurrence in physical testing.
CitationBall, C., Lee, L., and Wang, W., "An FEA Implementation of Energy Flow for Brake Squeal," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2489, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2489.
- Liles , G. Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods SAE Technical Paper 891150 1989 10.4271/891150
- Yuan Y. An Eigenvalue Analysis Approach to Brake Squeal Problems Proceedings of the Dedicated Conf. On Automotive Brake Systems, 29th ISATA Florence, Italy June, 1996
- Lee , L. , Xu , K. , Malott , B. , Izumihara , T. An Advanced Approach to Disk Brake Squeal Simulation presented at 18th SAE Brake Colloquium San Diego, CA Oct. 2000
- Lee , L. , Xu , K. , Malott , B. , Matsuzaki , M. et al. A Systematic Approach to Brake Squeal Simulation Using MacNeal Method SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2610 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2610
- Lee , L. , Lou , G. , Xu , K. , Matsuzaki , M. et al. Direct Finite Element Analysis on Disc Brake Squeal Using the ABLE Algorithm SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3350 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3350
- Xu , K. , Lee , L. , and Lou , G. Brake Squeal Simulation by Energy Flow Analysis SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 4 1161 1170 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2657
- Xu , K. , Lee , L. , Los , R. and Lou , G. Brake Squeal Simulation by Energy Flow Analysis 21st SAE Brake Colloquium Hollywood, Florida Oct. 2003
- McDaniel , J. , Li , X. , Moore , J. , and Chen , S. Analysis of Instabilities and Power Flow in Brake Systems with Coupled Rotor Modes SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1602 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1602
- Chung , C. and Donley , M. Mode Coupling Phenomenon of Brake Squeal Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1624 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1624
- Abaqus Example Problems Guide (Version 2016) Dassault Systèmes, Vélizy-Villacoublay France 2015