This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Highly Integrated and High Efficiency Motor Controller Based on Double-sided Cooling IGBT Module
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an Integrated Power Module (IPM) and an Integrated Power Unit (IPU) based on IGBT double-sided cooling technology. The IPU can be used as the motor controller in electric vehicle applications, and the IPM integrated in the IPU is packaged with the latest trench field-stop IGBT devices and is utilized with planar bonding as well as double-sided cooling technology. By adopting the planar bonding and double-sided cooling technology, module design has achieved elimination of the traditional wire bonds, even temperature distribution for the surface of dies, and improvement of thermal performance, which results in lower junction temperature rise. Through these factors, power cycling capability and long-time reliability of the module can be significantly improved. Test results show that compared with traditional single-sided direct liquid cooling module with a pin-fin structure, thermal resistance has been reduced by 23%. Equipped with active gate driver technology utilizing di/dt control and decoupling turn-on and turn-off processes, power losses of the developed IPM have been greatly reduced and optimized. As the result, high efficiency (>95%) with wide area and vertical efficiency contour lines in the efficiency map of IPU system have been achieved, promising an extended driving range for the vehicle. In addition, 450Arms output phase current at 450V battery voltage is realized for the developed motor controller IPU, which enlarges the motor working area when is compared with traditional 400V/400Arms controllers. With the high heat dissipation performance and reduced power losses, the IPU overall structure is optimized and a power density of 27.3kW/L has been realized, which leads to a simplification of powertrain system integration.
|Technical Paper||Low-Height Differential Concepts for EVs|
|Technical Paper||Accelerated Life Test Methodology for Li-Ion Batteries in Automotive Applications|
- Yun Li - Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co., Ltd.
- Jing Shang - Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co., Ltd.
- Shiwu Zhu - Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co., Ltd.
- Alina Ma - Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co., Ltd.
- Robin Lyle - Dynex Semiconductor Ltd.
- Zijian Li - Dynex Semiconductor Ltd.
- Nannan Wang - Dynex Semiconductor Ltd.
- Hua Rong - Dynex Semiconductor Ltd.
CitationLi, Y., Shang, J., Zhu, S., Ma, A. et al., "Highly Integrated and High Efficiency Motor Controller Based on Double-sided Cooling IGBT Module," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2456, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2456.
- Liang Zhenxian Status and Trend of Automotive Power Packaging ISPSD2012 Bruges Belgium June 2012 325 331
- Nishimura Y. , Momose F. , Gohara H. , Inaba Y. , Kitamura A. Power Module Technology for Automotive Power Electronics PCIM Europe 2015 Nuremberg Germany May 2015
- Grassmann A. , Geitner O. , Hable W. , Neugirg C. , Schwarz A. , Winter F. , Yoo I. Double Sided Cooled Module concept for High Power Density in HEV Applications PCIM Europe 2015 Nuremberg Germany May 2015 442 228
- Wintrich A. , Nicolai U. , Tursky W. and Reimann T. Application Manual Power Semiconductors 2011 Semikron
- Wang Yangang Development of High Thermal Performance Automotive Power Modules with Dual Sided Cooling Capability PCIM Europe May 2017