This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Battery Thermal Management System Using Water as a Phase Change Material
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In these years, the advantages of using phase change material (PCM) in the thermal management of electric power battery has been wide spread. Because of the thermal conductivity of most phase change material (eg.wax) is low, many researchers choose to add high conductivity materials (such as black lead). However, the solid-liquid change material has large mass, poor flow-ability and corrosively. Therefore, it still stays on experiential stage. In this paper, the Thermal characteristics of power battery firstly be invested and the requirements of thermal management system also be discussed. Then a new PCM thermal management has been designed which uses pure water as liquid phase change material, adopts PCM with a reflux device for thermal management. Meanwhile, utilizing the characteristics of pure water which are economical, easy to prepare, light weight, strong liquidity and hardly corrode the battery to explore the feasibility for water as a PCM for battery thermal management system. It is expected that the battery temperature could be kept around 45°C and the maximum temperature is not more than 50°C in this thermal management system. By the way, the difference of battery wall temperature and PCM should lower than 5°C.
CitationJia, Y., Tan, G., Liu, C., Xiong, S. et al., "Battery Thermal Management System Using Water as a Phase Change Material," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2454, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2454.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1
- Guo-qing ZHANG , Hai-yan ZHANG Progress in Application of Phase Change Materials in Battery Module Thermal Management System [J] Materials Herald 2006 20 8
- Yue-hong HU Numerical simulation of thermal characteristics and heat dissipation device for lithium-ion battery for electric vehicle [D] South China University of Technology 2104
- Pesaran A A Battery Thermal management in EVs and HEVs Issues and Solutions Advanced Automotive Battery Conference Las Vegas, Nevada 2001
- Lian-ge HE , ZHENG-xing Zuo , Jian-hua XIANG Effect of Bubble Size on Boiling Heat Transfer of Cylinder Head [J] Journal of Internal Combustion Engineering 2013 01 72 77
- Jian WANG , Yun-fei SHEN , Jun-wei Cheng Study on the Application of Phase Change Materials in Thermal Management System of Lithium - ion Battery Pack for Electric Vehicles [J] New Energy Vehicle 2011
- Jun-wei LU Research on Heat Transfer of Battery Cooling Technology with Phase Change Material and Heat Pipe [D] Jilin University 2014
- Zhong-hao RAO Research on power battery thermal management based on solid-liquid phase change heat transfer medium [D] South China University of Technology 2013
- Si-hui HONG Review on application of heat pipe technology in lithium-ion power battery thermal management system [J] Chemical Industry and Engineering Progress 2014
- A R K , Sabbaha R , Robert J. Selmana B et al. An alternative cooling system to enhance the safety of Li-ion battery packs [J] Journal of Power Sources 2009 194 9 1105