This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unsteady Performance Simulation Analysis of a Waste-Gated Turbocharger Turbine under Different Valve Opening Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An electronic waste-gated turbocharger for automotive application can accurately control the boost pressure and effectively reduce turbo-lag. It can improve the transient responsive performance of engine and the acceleration performance of vehicle, which makes vehicle have a better adaptation to the complex traffic environment. A detailed analysis of aerodynamic working principle of electronic wastegate is the foundation for designing the control strategy of electronic wastegate. Putting turbine with electronic wastegate under unsteady condition that simulates the pulse exhaust gas of engine and studying influences of different valve opening on the performance of turbine has the practical value.
This paper sets fixed and periodical unsteady conditions and adopts numerical methods to explore the performance of turbine in twin-entry turbocharger and the flow loss of bypass. Steady simulation structure is given for reference. The influence and change rule of wastegate valve opening on turbine performance are researched comprehensively. The results show that the nearer the valve opening approximates to full close, the greater the influence on the turbine unsteady performance is, and the bigger the flow loss in per degree is. The flow loss in the turbine and the bypass are evaluated to reveal the mechanism of influence on turbine performance of valve opening and flow loss. This paper is helpful to optimize the structure of electronic actuator and design the control strategy.
CitationFan, H., Ni, J., Shi, X., Jiang, N. et al., "Unsteady Performance Simulation Analysis of a Waste-Gated Turbocharger Turbine under Different Valve Opening Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2417, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2417.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Korpela , S. Principles of Turbomachinery Hoboken, New Jersey, USA John Wiley & Sons 2011 978-0-470-53672-8
- Rakopoulos , C. and Giakoumis , E. Diesel Engine Transient Operation London, UK Springer-Verlag 2009 978-1-84882-374-7
- Wallace , F. and Blair , G. The pulsating flow performance of inward radial-flow turbines ASME 65 gtp-21 1 19 1965
- Capobianco , M. and Gambarotta , A. Unsteady flow performance of turbocharger radial turbines 4th International Conference on Turbocharging and Turbochargers, Instn. of Mech. Engrs London paper C405/017 1990
- Rajoo , S. , Romagnoli , A. and Martinez-Botas , R. Unsteady performance analysis of a twin-entry variable geometry turbocharger turbine Energy 38 176 189 2012
- Yu , L. , Ma C. , Shi X. , Zhang , Z. et al. Experimental Investigation on Vehicular Turbocharger Turbine Characteristics under Unsteady Flow Condition Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering (China) 5 36 40 2010
- Yang , M. , Martinez-Botas , R. , Rajoo S. , Yokoyama , T. et al An investigation of volute cross-sectional shape on turbocharger turbine under pulsating conditions in internal combustion engine Energy Conversion and Management 105 167 177 2015
- Yang , M. , Deng , K. , Martinez-Botas , R. and Zhuge , W. An investigation on unsteadiness of a mixed-flow turbine under pulsating conditions Energy Conversion and Management 110 51 58 2016
- Hakeem , I. , Su , C. , Costall , A. et al. Effect of volute geometry on the steady and unsteady performance of mixed-flow turbines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Power and Energy 221 535 549 2007
- Padzillah , M. , Rajoo S. and Martinez-Botas , F. Influence of speed and frequency towards the automotive turbocharger turbine performance under pulsating flow conditions Energy Conversion and Management 80 416 428 2014
- Marelli , S. and Capobianco , M. Steady and pulsating flow efficiency of a waste-gated turbocharger radial flow turbine for automotive application Energy 36 459 465 2011
- Newton , P. , Copeland , C. , Martinez-Botas , R. and Seiler , M. An audit of aerodynamic loss in a double entry turbine under full and partial admission International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 33 70 80 2012
- Hamel , M. , Abidat , M. and Litim , S. Investigation of the mixed flow turbine performance under inlet pulsating flow conditions Comptes Rendus Mecanique 340 165 176 2012
- Galindo , J. , Tiseira , A. , Fajardo , P. and García-Cuevas , L. Development and validation of aradial variable geometry turbine model for transient pulsating flow applications Energy Conversion and Management 85 190 203 2014
- Anderson , J. Computational Fluid Dynamics London McGraw-Hill Education 1995 9780071132107
- Fan , H. , Ni , J. , Wang , H. , Zhu , Z. et al. Numerical Study of Unsteady Performance of a Double-entry Turbocharger Turbine under Different A/R Value Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1031 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1031
- Olmeda , P. , Tiseira , A. , Dolz , V. and García-Cuevas , L. Uncertainties in power computations in a turbocharger test bench Measurement 59 363 371 2015
- Lavagnoli , S. , Maesschalck , C. and Paniagua , G. Uncertainty analysis of adiabatic wall temperature measurements in turbine experiments Applied Thermal Engineering 82 170 181 2015
- Bontempo , R. , Cardone , M. , Manna , M. and Vorraro , G. Steady and unsteady experimental analysis of a turbocharger for automotive applications Energy Conversion and Management 99 72 80 2015
- Brinkert , N. , Sumser , S. , Schulz , A. , Weber , S. et al Understanding the twin scroll turbine - flow similarity Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2011 (GT2011) Vancouver, Canada June 6-10, 2011