This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Particle Characteristics and Engine Conditions on Deposit-Induced Pre-Ignition and Superknock in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines
ISSN: 1946-3952, e-ISSN: 1946-3960
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Gupta, A., Seeley, R., Shao, H., Remias, J. et al., "Impact of Particle Characteristics and Engine Conditions on Deposit-Induced Pre-Ignition and Superknock in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(3):2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2345.
- Wang, Zhi, Liu Hui, and Reitz Rolf D.. "Knocking combustion in spark-ignition engines." Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 61 (2017): 78-112.
- Vangraefschepe, F., and Zaccardi J. M.. "Analysis of destructive abnormal combustions appearing at high load and low engine speed on high performance gasoline engines." In The Spark Ignition Engine of the Future, SIA Congress. 2007.
- Dahnz, C., Han, K., Spicher, U., Magar, M. et al., "Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):214-224, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0355.
- Kalghatgi, Gautam T., and Bradley Derek. "Pre-ignition and ‘super-knock’in turbo-charged spark-ignition engines." International Journal of Engine Research 13, no. 4 (2012): 399-414.
- Amann, M. and Alger, T., "Lubricant Reactivity Effects on Gasoline Spark Ignition Engine Knock," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(2):760-771, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1140.
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M. et al., "Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):246-273, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Dahnz, C., and Spicher U.. "Irregular combustion in supercharged spark ignition engines-pre-ignition and other phenomena." International Journal of Engine Research 11, no. 6 (2010): 485-498.
- Peters, N., Kerschgens, B., and Paczko, G., "Super-Knock Prediction Using a Refined Theory of Turbulence," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):953-967, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1109.
- Amann, M., Alger, T., and Mehta, D., "The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):235-245, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0339.
- Gupta, A., Shao, H., Remias, J., Roos, J. et al., "Relative Impact of Chemical and Physical Properties of the Oil-Fuel Droplet on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2278, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2278.
- Qi, Y., Xu, Y., Wang, Z., and Wang, J., "The Effect of Oil Intrusion on Super Knock in Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1224, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1224.
- Long, Y., Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Xiang, S. et al., "Effect of Oil and Gasoline Properties on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in a Thermal Research Engine (TRE) and an Optical Rapid Compression Machine (RCM)," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0720, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0720.
- Takeuchi, K., Fujimoto, K., Hirano, S., and Yamashita, M., "Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(3):1017-1024, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1615.
- Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Liu, H., Long, Y. et al., "Experimental Study on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Gasoline Engine Combustion with Carbon Particle at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0752, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0752.
- Okada, Y., Miyashita, S., Izumi, Y., and Hayakawa, Y., "Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):584-594, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1218.
- Dumont, L., "Possible Mechanisms by which Combustion-Chamber Deposits Accumulate and Influence Knock," SAE Technical Paper 510209, 1951, https://doi.org/10.4271/510209.
- Nakic, D., Assanis, D., and White, R., "Effect of Elevated Piston Temperature on Combustion Chamber Deposit Growth," SAE Technical Paper 940948, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940948.
- Cheng, S., "A Physical Mechanism for Deposit Formation in a Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 941892, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941892.
- Nishiwaki, K. and Hafnan, M., "The Determination of Thermal Properties of Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1215, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1215.
- Caceres, D., Reisel J. R., Sklyarov A., and Poehlman A.. "Exhaust emission deterioration and combustion chamber deposit composition over the life cycle of small utility engines." Journal of Engineering for Gas turbines and power 125, no. 1 (2003): 358-364.
- Harpster, M., Matas, S., Fry, J., and Litzinger, T., "An Experimental Study of Fuel Composition and Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on Emissions from a Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 950740, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950740.
- Kalghatgi, G. and Price, R., "Combustion Chamber Deposit Flaking," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2858, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2858.
- Kalghatgi, G., "Combustion Chamber Deposit Flaking Studies Using a Road Test Procedure," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2833, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2833.
- Kalghatgi, G., "Combustion Chamber Deposit Flaking and Startability Problems in Three Different Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3187, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3187.
- Eckert E. and Drake J., Robert M. Analysis of Heat and Mass Transfer. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1972.
- Incropera F. P. and DeWitt D. P.. Introduction to Heat Transfer. Wiley, New York, fifth edition, 2002.
- Miyamoto, N., Hou, Z., and Ogawa, H., "Catalytic Effects of Metallic Fuel Additives on Oxidation Characteristics of Trapped Diesel Soot," SAE Technical Paper 881224, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881224.
- Jung, Heejung, Kittelson David B., and Zachariah Michael R.. "Characteristics of SME biodiesel-fueled diesel particle emissions and the kinetics of oxidation." Environmental science & technology 40, no. 16 (2006): 4949-4955.
- Livengood, J. C., and Wu. P. C. "Correlation of autoignition phenomena in internal combustion engines and rapid compression machines." In Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 347-356. Elsevier, 1955.
- Douaud, A. and Eyzat, P., "Four-Octane-Number Method for Predicting the Anti-Knock Behavior of Fuels and Engines," SAE Technical Paper 780080, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780080.
- Henning, Klaus-Dirk, and von Kienle Hartmut. "Carbon, 5. Activated Carbon." Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry (2010).
- Parikh, Jigisha, Channiwala S. A., and Ghosal G. K.. "A correlation for calculating HHV from proximate analysis of solid fuels." Fuel 84, no. 5 (2005): 487-494.