Effects of Biofuels on the Mixture Formation and Ignition Process in Diesel-Like Jets
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2332
In order to reduce engine out CO2 emissions it is a main subject to find new alternative fuels out of renewable sources. For this paper, several fuels were selected which can be produced out of biomass or with hydrogen which is generated directly via electrolysis with electricity from renewable sources. All fuels are compared to conventional diesel fuel and two diesel surrogates. It is well known that there can be a large effect of fuel properties on mixture formation and combustion, which may result in a completely different engine performance compared to the operation with conventional diesel fuels. Mixture formation and ignition behavior can also largely affect the pollutant formation. The knowledge of the combustion behavior is also important to design new engine geometries or implement new calibrations for an existing engine. The fuel properties of the investigated fuels comprise a large range, for example in case of the derived cetane number, from below 30 up to 100. In the study described here, different optical diagnostic methods are used simultaneously to monitor the behavior of these fuels. Measurements have been taken in a high pressure vessel at in-cylinder conditions representative for modern diesel engines. To investigate ignition and lift-off length of the fuel jets, high-speed detection of OH*-radicals was applied. In case of mixture formation analysis, Mie scattering measurement technique was used to detect the liquid penetration length and for the gas-phase, a shadowgraphy method was used. For both measurement techniques, a high speed camera was set up. By combining these optical measurement techniques, different amounts of premixed combustion have been observed for the different fuels. This can affect strongly the pollutant formation. Adding oxygen to a fuel increases the lift-off-length significantly at the same ignition delay time. Especially, the investigated fuel OME 3,4,5 seems to be a good alternative candidate regarding its sooting tendency.
CitationOttenwaelder, T. and Pischinger, S., "Effects of Biofuels on the Mixture Formation and Ignition Process in Diesel-Like Jets," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2332, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2332.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Hechinger M., Dahmen M., Victoria Villeda J.J., Marquardt W., Rigorous Generation and Model-Based Selection of Future Biofuel Candidates, pp. 1341-1345.
- Dahmen, M., Hechinger, M., Victoria Villeda, J., and Marquardt, W., "Towards Model-Based Identification of Biofuels for Compression Ignition Engines," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(3):990-1003, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1593.
- Pickett L., Bruneaux G., Payri R., Engine Combustion Network (2014): http://public.ca.sandia.gov/ecn/.
- Heuser, B., Laible, T., Jakob, M., Kremer, F. et al., "C8-Oxygenates for Clean Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1253, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1253.
- Heuser B., Mauermann P., Wankhade R., Kremer F., Pischinger S., Combustion and emission behavior of linear C 8 - oxygenates, International Journal of Engine Research 16 (5) (2015) 627-638.
- Geilen F.M.A., Engendahl B., Harwardt A., Marquardt W., Klankermayer J., Leitner W., Selective and flexible transformation of biomass-derived platform chemicals by a multifunctional catalytic system, Angewandte Chemie (International ed. in English) 49 (32) (2010) 5510-5514.
- Geilen F.M.A., Vom Stein T., Engendahl B., Winterle S., Liauw M.A., Klankermayer J., Leitner W., Highly selective decarbonylation of 5-(hydroxymethyl)furfural in the presence of compressed carbon dioxide, Angewandte Chemie (International ed. in English) 50 (30) (2011) 6831-6834.
- Idicheria, C. and Pickett, L., "Quantitative Mixing Measurements in a Vaporizing Diesel Spray by Rayleigh Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0647, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0647.
- Siebers, D. and Higgins, B., "Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0530, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0530.
- Jakob M., Hülser T., Janssen A., Adomeit P., Pischinger S., Grünefeld G., Simultaneous high-speed visualization of soot luminosity and OH* chemiluminescence of alternative-fuel combustion in a HSDI diesel engine under realistic operating conditions, Combustion and Flame 159 (7) (2012) 2516-2529.
- Chartier, C., Aronsson, U., Andersson, Ö., Egnell, R. et al., "Analysis of Smokeless Spray Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine by Combined Simultaneous Optical Diagnostics," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1353, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1353.
- Musculus, M., "Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0079, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0079.
- Mueller, C., Pitz, W., Pickett, L., Martin, G. et al., "Effects of Oxygenates on Soot Processes in DI Diesel Engines: Experiments and Numerical Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1791, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1791.
- Pickett, L., Siebers, D., and Idicheria, C., "Relationship Between Ignition Processes and the Lift-Off Length of Diesel Fuel Jets," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3843, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3843.
- Julis J., Leitner W., Synthesis of 1-octanol and 1,1-dioctyl ether from biomass-derived platform chemicals, Angewandte Chemie (International ed. in English) 51 (34) (2012) 8615-8619.
- Lautenschütz L., Oestreich D., Seidenspinner P., Arnold U., Dinjus E., Sauer J., Physico-chemical properties and fuel characteristics of oxymethylene dialkyl ethers, Fuel 173 (2016) 129-137.
- Seidenspinner, P., Härtl, M., Wilharm, T., and Wachtmeister, G., "Cetane Number Determination by Advanced Fuel Ignition Delay Analysis in a New Constant Volume Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0798, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0798.
- Manin, J., Skeen, S., Pickett, L., Kurtz, E. et al., "Effects of Oxygenated Fuels on Combustion and Soot Formation/Oxidation Processes," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3):704-717, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2657.
- Härtl M., Seidenspinner P., Jacob E., Wachtmeister G., Oxygenate screening on a heavy-duty diesel engine and emission characteristics of highly oxygenated oxymethylene ether fuel, Fuel 153 (2015) 328-335.
- Dahmen M., Marquardt W., A Novel Group Contribution Method for the Prediction of the Derived Cetane Number of Oxygenated Hydrocarbons, Energy Fuels 29 (9) (2015) 5781-5801.
- Daubert T.E., Danner R.P., Physical and thermodynamic properties of pure chemicals: Data compilation, Taylor & Francis, Washington, 1989.
- Huelser T., Jakob M., Gruenefeld G., Adomeit P., Pischinger S., Klein D., Optical investigation of fuel and in-cylinder air-swirl effects in a high-speed direct-injection engine, International Journal of Engine Research 16 (6) (2015) 716-737.
- Siebers, D., "Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 980809, 1998, doi:10.4271/980809.
- Siebers, D., "Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0528, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0528.
- Westlye, F., Battistoni, M., Skeen, S., Manin, J. et al., "Penetration and combustion characterization of cavitating and non-cavitating fuel injectors under diesel engine conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0860, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0860.
- Pickett L.M., Genzale C.L., Manin J., Uncertainty Quantification for Liquid Penetration of Evaporating Sprays at Diesel-Like Conditions, Atomiz Spr 25 (5) (2015) 425-452.
- Jung, Y., Manin, J., Skeen, S., and Pickett, L., "Measurement of Liquid and Vapor Penetration of Diesel Sprays with a Variation in Spreading Angle," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0946, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0946.
- Blessinger M., Manin J., Skeen S.A., Meijer M., Parrish S., Pickett L.M., Quantitative mixing measurements and stochastic variability of a vaporizing gasoline direct-injection spray, International Journal of Engine Research 16 (2) (2015) 238-252.
- Schulz, C., Ottenwaelder, T., Raffius, T., Brands, T. et al., "Nitric Oxide Measurements in the Core of Diesel Jets Using a Biofuel Blend," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 8(2):458-471, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0597.
- Ottenwaelder, T., Raffius, T., Schulz, C., Adomeit, P. et al., "Optical Investigation of Biofuel Effects on NO and PAH Formation in Diesel-Like Jets," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2485, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2485.
- Jakob M., Klein D., Graziano B., Kremer F., Pischinger S., Simultaneous Shadowgraphic and Chemiluminescent Visualization to Determine the Mixture Formation Quality and Ignition Stability of Diesel Engine Related Surrogate Fuels, 14th Grazer Congress “The Working Process of the Combustion Engine” Technical University Graz, Austria: 362-377, 2013.