This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
3D CFD Model of DI Diesel Low Pressure Fuel Pump System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper discusses the holistic approach of simulating a low pressure pump (LPP) including test stand flow dynamics. The simulation includes all lines and valves of the test stand representing realistic test operating conditions in the simulation. The capability to capture all line dynamics enables a robust design against resonances and delivers high-quality performance data. Comparison with actual test data agrees very well giving us confidence in the prediction capability of proposed method and CFD package used in the study. Despite the large spatial extent of the simulation domain, Simerics-MP+ (aka PumpLinx) is able to generate a feasible mesh, together with fast running speed, resulting in acceptable turn-around times. The ability to still model small gaps and clearance of the LPP very efficiently enables inclusion of realistic tolerances as experienced on hardware. This allows designers and engineers to translate simulation results for limit sample runs without procurement of hardware reducing development time and cost.
CitationDing, H., Husmeier, F., Gudekar, J., Bobade, A. et al., "3D CFD Model of DI Diesel Low Pressure Fuel Pump System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2304, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2304.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Jiang , Y. , Furmanczyk , M. , Lowry , S. , Zhang , D. et al. A Three-Dimensional Design Tool for Crescent Oil Pumps SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0003 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0003
- Singhal , AK , Athavale , M.M. , Li , H.Y. , and Jiang , Y. Mathematical Basis and Validation of the Full Cavitation Model ASME J. Fluids Engg. 124 617 624 2002
- Dhar , S. , Afjeh , H. , Srinivasan , C. , Ranganathan , R. et al. Transient, Three Dimensional CFD Model of the Complete Engine Lubrication System SAE Int. J. Engines 9 3 1854 1862 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1091
- Ding , H. , & Gao , H. 2014 3-D Transient CFD Model For A Rolling Piston Compressor With A Dynamic Reed Valve Proceedings of the International Compressor Engineering Conference at Purdue West Lafayette, IN, USA
- Wang , D. , Ding , H. , Jiang , Y. , and Xiang , X. Numerical Modeling of Vane Oil Pump with Variable Displacement SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0637 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0637
- Ni , W. , Heitz , S. , Bartholme , D. , and Cass , M. Compensation Force CFD Analysis of Pressure Regulating Valve Applied in FMU of Engine and System Controls SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 4 2 1057 1063 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2641