This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Shadowgraph Imaging, Laser-Doppler Anemometry and X-Ray Imaging for the Analysis of Near Nozzle Velocities of GDI Fuel Injectors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The fuel spray behavior in the near nozzle region of a gasoline injector is challenging to predict due to existing pressure gradients and turbulences of the internal flow and in-nozzle cavitation. Therefore, statistical parameters for spray characterization through experiments must be considered. The characterization of spray velocity fields in the near-nozzle region is of particular importance as the velocity information is crucial in understanding the hydrodynamic processes which take place further downstream during fuel atomization and mixture formation. This knowledge is needed in order to optimize injector nozzles for future requirements.
In this study, the results of three experimental approaches for determination of spray velocity in the near-nozzle region are presented. Two different injector nozzle types were measured through high-speed shadowgraph imaging, Laser Doppler Anemometry (LDA) and X-ray imaging. Correlation among these three methods is used to classify the benefits and limitations of each measurement technique. The combination of these conceptually different measurement approaches provides a better insight into the complex phenomena of spray penetration and mixture preparation along with near-nozzle effects such as tip wetting in order to optimize future HDEV injector generations.
CitationKnorsch, T., Mamaikin, D., Leick, P., Rogler, P. et al., "Comparison of Shadowgraph Imaging, Laser-Doppler Anemometry and X-Ray Imaging for the Analysis of Near Nozzle Velocities of GDI Fuel Injectors," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2302, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2302.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Kufferath A. , Wiese W. , Samenfink W. , Dageförde H. , Knorsch T. and Jochmann P. Assessment of feasible system solutions for future particle emission requirements Fuel systems for IC engines, IMechE London, UK 2015
- Knorsch , T. , Rogler , P. , Miller , M. , and Wiese , W. On the Evaluation Methods for Systematic Further Development of Direct-Injection Nozzles SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2200 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2200
- Raffel M. , Willert C.E. , Wereley S.T. and Kompenhans J. Particle Image Velocimetry: A Practical Guide Springer 2007
- Weber D. and Leick P. Structure and Velocity Field of Individual Plumes of Flashing Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays Proc. 26th ILASS Europe Bremen 2014 10.13140/RG.2.1.1227.2724
- Albrecht H.-E. , Borys. M. , Damaschke N. and Tropea C. Laser Doppler and Phase Doppler Measurement Techniques Springer 2002
- Wang Y. , Liu X. , Im K.-S. , Lee W.-K. , Wang J. , Fezzaa K. , Hung D.L.S. and Winkelman J.R. Ultrafast X-ray study of dense-liquid-jet flow dynamics using structure-tracking velocimetry Nat Phys 2008 4 305 309
- Moon S. , Gao Y. , Wang J. , Fezzaa K. and Tsujimura T. Near-field dynamics of high-speed diesel sprays: effects of orifice inlet geometry and injection pressure Fuel 2014 133 299 309
- Moon S. , Zhang X.S. , Gao J. , Fezzaa K. , Dufresne E. , Wang J. , Xie X.B. , Wang F.K. and Lai M.C. Morphological exploration of emerging jet flows from multi-hole diesel injectors at different needle lifts Atomization Sprays 2015 25 375 396
- Wilkins S.W. , Gureyev T.E. , Gao D. , Pogany A. and Stevenson A.W. Phase-contrast imaging using polychromatic hard X-rays Nature 1996 384 335 338
- Cloetens P. , Pateyron-Salomé M. , Buffiè J.Y. , Peix G. , Baruchel J. , Peyrin F. and Schlenker M. Observation of microstructure and damage in materials by phase sensitive radiography and tomography Journal of Applied Physics 1997 81 5878 5886
- Moon S. , Tsujimura T. , Gao Y. , Park S. , Wang J. , Kurimoto N. , Nishijima Y. and Oguma M. Biodiesel effects on transient needle motion and near-exit flow characteristics of a high pressure diesel injector Int. J Engine Res. 2013 15 504 518
- Moon S. , Gao Y. , Park S. , Wang J. , Kurimoto N. and Nishijima Y. Effect of the number and position of nozzle holes on in-and near-nozzle dynamic characteristics of diesel injection Fuel 2015 150 112 122
- Leick P. , Bittlinger G. , and Tropea C. Velocity measurements in the near nozzle region of common-rail diesel sprays at elevated back-pressures Proc. 19th ILASS Europe Nottingham, UK 2004
- Bornschlegel S. , Conrad C. , Durst A. , and Wensing M. Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injection: In-Nozzle Flow and Primary Breakup Investigated in Transparent Nozzles and with X-Ray BEV Heft 17.1, 13th Engine Combustion Processes - Current Problems and Modern Techniques Ludwigsburg 2017