Port Fuel Injection of CNG for Downsized 1-Liter 3-Cylinder Turbocharged Engine with High Efficiency
Published October 8, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
In order to meet increasingly stringent emission regulations and reduce fuel consumption, development of modern powertrain is becoming more complicated, combining many advanced technologies. Gasoline engine downsizing is already established as a proven technology to reduce vehicle fleet CO2 emissions. Compressed natural gas (CNG) offers increased potential to further reduce both tailpipe CO2 and other regulated exhaust gas emissions without compromising driving performance.
In this study, a turbocharged CNG port fuel injection (PFI) engine was developed based on gasoline version. Making most use of positive fuel properties of CNG, the paper quantifies the performance characteristics of downsized CNG engine considering reduced knock sensitivity, adaption of compression ratio and combustion efficiency. While peak cylinder pressure was controlled below 120 bar, peak torque 180Nm, same level as gasoline variant, was realized from 3000rpm.
The results achieved from the test engine whilst operating with CNG are also compared to measurements from turbocharged gasoline PFI and turbocharged gasoline direct injection (TGDI).With adapted compression ratio for CNG operation, effective combustion efficiency is over 38%, which is even higher than TGDI version. Finally, it was concluded that compared to gasoline application, operation with CNG will lead to 24.2% CO2 emission reduction as well as 46.4% mileage-specific fuel cost saving.
CitationYang, C., li, W., Yin, J., and Shen, Y., "Port Fuel Injection of CNG for Downsized 1-Liter 3-Cylinder Turbocharged Engine with High Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2275, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2275.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Monitoring CO2 emissions from new passenger cars in the EU: summary of data for 2012, European Environment Agency, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Husted Harry L., Karl Guenter, Schilling Sebastian, and Weber Carsten, Direct injection of CNG for driving performance with low CO2, 4th Aachen Colloquium China Automobile and Engine Technology, 2014.
- Hall, J., Bassett, M., Hibberd, B., and Streng, S., "Heavily Downsized Demonstrator Engine Optimised for CNG Operation," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(4):2250-2261, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2363.
- Alt Matthias, Damen Marco, Noe Arno, Groeniger Jens etc. The new turbocharged direct injection for opel ADAM, 22nd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2013.
- Ernst Roland, Friedfeldt Rainer, Lamb Steve BEng Hons, Lloyd-Thomas David MA etc. The new 3 cylinder 1.0L gasoline direct injection turbo engine from Ford. 20th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2013.
- Yonekawa, A., Ueno, M., Watanabe, O., and Ishikawa, N., "Development of New Gasoline Engine for ACCORD Plug-in Hybrid," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1738, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1738.
- Matsuo, S., Ikeda, E., Ito, Y., and Nishiura, H., "The New Toyota Inline 4 Cylinder 1.8L ESTEC 2ZR-FXE Gasoline Engine for Hybrid Car," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0684, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0684.
- World wide natural gas vehicle market shares, www.ngva.eu, 2015.
- Weber Carsten, Kramer Ulrich, Klein Rolf, Hofmann Christian, Berkemeier Oliver, Dunstheimer Jens et al. CNG-specific downsizing - potentials and challenges, 36th international Vienna Motor Symposium, 2015.
- Eichler Friedrich, Szengel Rudiger, helbing Carsten and Worm Jorg, The new EA211 1.4L TSI CNG, 22nd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2013.
- Yang, C., Cheng, H., fan, Z., Yin, J. et al., "Development of a 1-Liter Advanced Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection 3-Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0632, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0632.
- Yang, C., Cheng, H., Fan, Z., Yin, J. et al., "Development of Combustion System for a 1-Liter Advanced Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection 3-Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2243, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2243.