This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition Improvement for Ultra-Lean Dilute Gasoline Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this work, a spatially distributed spark ignition strategy was employed to improve the ignition process of well-mixed ultra-lean dilute gasoline combustion in a high compression ratio (13.1:1) single cylinder engine at partial loads. The ignition energy was distributed in the perimeter of a 3-pole igniter. It was identified that on the basis of similar total spark energy, the 3-pole ignition mode can significantly shorten the early flame kernel development period and reduce the cyclic variation of combustion phasing, for the spark timing sweep tests at λ 1.5. The effect of ignition energy level on lean-burn operation was investigated at λ 1.6. Within a relatively low ignition energy range, i.e. below 46 mJ per pole, the increase in ignition energy via ether 1 pole or 3 pole can improve the controllability over combustion phasing and reduce the variability of lean burn combustion. Higher ignition energy was required in order to enable ultra-lean engine operation with λ above 1.6. With the highest ignition energy achievable for the tested ignition system, the stable operable lean limits at a nominal engine load of 3 bar indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) was extended by using 3-pole ignition, which consequently increased the thermal efficiency.
|Technical Paper||Combustion Optimization in a Hydrogen-Enhanced Lean-Burn SI Engine|
|Journal Article||Ultra-Lean Pre-Chamber Gasoline Engine for Future Hybrid Powertrains|
|Technical Paper||Ignition Systems for Highly Diluted Mixtures in SI-Engines|
CitationYu, S., Yu, X., Yang, Z., Wang, M. et al., "Ignition Improvement for Ultra-Lean Dilute Gasoline Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2244, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2244.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Wei, H., Zhu, T., Shu, G., Tan, L., et al. "Gasoline Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation-A Review," Applied Energy. 99:534-44, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.05.011.
- Gallon, E., Fontana, G., Palmaccio, R., "Effects of Exhaust Gas Recycle in a Downsized Gasoline Engine," Applied Energy. 105:99-107, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.12.046.
- Takahashi, D., Nakata, K., Yoshihara, Y., Ohta, Y. et al., "Combustion Development to Achieve Engine Thermal Efficiency of 40% for Hybrid Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1254, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1254.
- Rohwein, G. J., "An Efficient Power-Enhanced Ignition System," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 25(2): 306-310, 1997, doi:10.1109/27.602504.
- Yoshida, K., Shoji, H., and Tanaka, H., "Performance of Newly Developed Plasma Jet Igniter," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3327, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3327.
- Dale, J.D., Checkel, M.D., Smy, P.R., "Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines," Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 23(5-6): 379-398, 1997, doi:10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7.
- Hall, M., Matthews, R., and Ezekoye, O., "Railplug Ignition Operating Characteristics and Performance:A Review," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1832, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1832.
- Alger, T., Gingrich, J., Mangold, B., and Roberts, C., "A Continuous Discharge Ignition System for EGR Limit Extension in SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):677-692, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0661.
- Gukelberger, R., Alger, T., Gingrich, J., and Mangold, B., "Impact of Operating Parameters on Ignition System Energy Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1233, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1233.
- Shiraishi, T., Urushihara, T., Gundersen, M., "A Trial of Ignition Innovation of Gasoline Engine by Nanosecond Pulsed Low Temperature Plasma Ignition," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 2009, 42: 135208; doi: 10.1088/00223727/42/13/135208.
- Sjöberg, M., Zeng, W., Singleton, D., Sanders, J. et al., "Combined Effects of Multi-Pulse Transient Plasma Ignition and Intake Heating on Lean Limits of Well-Mixed E85 DISI Engine Operation," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(4):1781-1801, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2615.
- Hampe, C., Kubach, H., Spicher, U., Rixecker, G. et al., "Investigations of Ignition Processes Using High Frequency Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1633, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1633.
- Heise, V., Farah, P., Husted, H., and Wolf, E., "High Frequency Ignition System for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1223, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1223.
- Suess, M, Guenthner, M, Schenk, M, et al., "Investigation of the Potential of Corona Ignition to Control Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion," P I MECH ENG D-J AUT, 2011, 226(2): 275-286, doi: 10.1177/0954407011416905.
- Yu, S., Xie, K., Yu, X., Wang, M. et al., "High Energy Ignition Strategies for Diluted Mixtures via a Three-Pole Igniter," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2175, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2175.
- Yu, S., Wang, M., and Zheng, M., "Distributed Electrical Discharge to Improve the Ignition of Premixed Quiescent and Turbulent Mixtures," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0706, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0706.
- Xie, K., Yu, S., Yu, X., Bryden, G. et al., "Investigation of Multi-Pole Spark Ignition Under Lean Conditions and with EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0679, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0679.
- Xie, K., Yu, S., Zheng, M., "Investigation of Multi-pole Spark Ignition on Flame Kernel Development and in Engine Operation," Proceedings of the ASME 2016 Internal Combustion Fall Technical Conference, Oct 9-12, 2016, Greenville, SC, USA, ICEF2016-9474
- Hayashi, N., Sugiura, A., Abe, Y., and Suzuki, K., "Development of Ignition Technology for Dilute Combustion Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0676.
- Huang, C.C., Shy, S.S., Liu, C.C., Yan, Y.Y., "A Transition on Minimum Ignition Energy for Lean Turbulent Methane Combustion in Flamelet and Distributed Regimes, " Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2006, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2006.08.024.
- Splitter, D. and Szybist, J., "Intermediate Alcohol-Gasoline Blends, Fuels for Enabling Increased Engine Efficiency and Powertrain Possibilities," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(1):29-47, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1231.
- Attard, W., Blaxill, H., Anderson, E., and Litke, P., "Knock Limit Extension with a Gasoline Fueled Pre-Chamber Jet Igniter in a Modern Vehicle Powertrain," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(3):1201-1215, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1143.