This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Scavenging Process in a Large Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
For uniflow scavenged two-stroke marine diesel engines, the main function of scavenging process is to replace the burned gas with fresh charge. The end state of scavenging process is integral to the subsequent compression and combustion, thereby affecting the engine’s fuel economy, power output and emissions.
In this paper, a complete working cycle of a large marine diesel engine was simulated by using the 3D-CFD software CONVERGE. The model was validated by mesh sensitivity test and experiment data. Based on this calibrated model, the influences of swirl ratio and exhaust valve closing (EVC) timing on the scavenging process were investigated. The parameters evaluating the performance of scavenging process were introduced.
The results show that, by adjusting the swirl orientation angle(SOA) from SOA=10° to SOA=30°, different swirl ratios are generated and have obvious differences in flow characteristics and scavenging performance. Advancing or delaying the EVC has limited effects on scavenging efficiency, but have obvious effects on the retaining and charging efficiency. In addition, adjusting the EVC timings also have obvious effects on the in-cylinder pressure and temperature, thus affecting the engine’s fuel economy and emission.
CitationCao, Z., Wang, T., Sun, K., Cui, L. et al., "Numerical Analysis of Scavenging Process in a Large Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2201, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2201.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- MEPC 58/23/Add. 1, Annex 13: Resolution MEPC.176(58) 10 October 2008
- Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) 70th session 24 28 October 2016 http://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/MeetingSummaries/MEPC/Pages/MEPC-70th-session.aspx
- Heywood , J. B. and Sher , E. The two-stroke cycle engine: its development, operation, and design Taylor & Francis, SAE International 1999
- Nishimoto , K. and Kamimoto , T. A Study on the Influnce of Intel Angel and Reynolds Number on the Flow-Pattern of Uniflow Scavenging Air SAE Technical Paper 841056 1984 10.4271/841056
- Hult , J. , Matlok , S. , and Mayer , S. Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements of Swirl and Scavenging in a Large Marine Two-Stroke Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1173 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1173
- Haider , S. , Meyer , K. E. , Cavar , D. , Schramm , J. , and Mayer , S. PIV study of in-cylinder confined swirling flow for scavenging two-stroke marine diesel engines 8th International Symposium on Particle Image Velocimetry Melbourne Victoria, Australia 1 4 2009
- Hult , J. , Mayer , S. A methodology for laser diagnostics in large-bore two-stroke diesel engines Measurement Science and Technology 2013 10.1088/0957-0233/24/4/045204
- Ingvorsen , K. M. , Meyer , K. E. , Walther , J. H. , and Mayer , S. Turbulent swirling flow in a dynamic model of a uniflow-scavenged two-stroke engine Experiments in Fluids 55 6 1 18 2014 10.1007/s00348-014-1748-y
- Sanborn , D. , Blair , G. , Kenny , R. , and Kingsbury , A. Experimental Assessment of Scavenging Efficiency of Two-Stroke Cycle Engines SAE Technical Paper 800975 1980 10.4271/800975
- Sher , E. , Hossain , I. , Zhang , Q. , and Winterbone , D. E. Calculations and measurements in the cylinder of a two-stroke uniflow-scavenged engine under steady flow conditions Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 4 4 418 431 1991 10.1016/0894-1777(91)90005-C
- Stone , R. Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines the Macmillan Press LTD 1992
- Sigurdsson E. , Ingvorsen K. M. and Jensen M. V. et al. Numerical analysis of the scavenge flow and convective heat transfer in large two-stroke marine diesel engines Applied Energy 2014 123 0 37 46
- Cui , L. , Wang , T. , Sun , K. , Lu , Z. et al. Numerical Analysis of the Steady-State Scavenging Flow Characteristics of a Two-Stroke Marine Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0558 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0558
- Wang , X. , Ma , J. , and Zhao , H. Analysis of the Effect of Intake Plenum Design on the Scavenging Process in a 2-Stroke Boosted Uniflow Scavenged Direct Injection Gasoline (BUSDIG) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1031 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1031
- Wang , X. , Ma , J. , and Zhao , H. Evaluations of Scavenge Port Designs for a Boosted Uniflow Scavenged Direct Injection Gasoline (BUSDIG) Engine by 3D CFD Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1049 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1049
- Liu , H. , Zhang , H. , Wang , H. , Zou , X. et al. A Numerical Study on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Marine Engine through Miller Cycle Coupled with EGR and Water Emulsified Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2187 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2187