This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Volume Automated Spar Assembly Line (SAL)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 19, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The decision to replace a successful automated production system at the heart of a high volume aircraft factory does not come easily. A point is reached when upgrades and retrofits are insufficient to meet increasing capacity demands and additional floor space is simply unavailable. The goals of this project were to increase production volume, reduce floor space usage, improve the build process, and smooth factory flow without disrupting today’s manufacturing. Two decades of lessons learned were leveraged along with advancements in the aircraft assembly industry, modern machine control technologies, and maturing safety standards to justify the risk and expense of a ground-up redesign. This paper will describe how an automated wing spar fastening system that has performed well for 20 years is analyzed and ultimately replaced without disturbing the high manufacturing rate of a single aisle commercial aircraft program.
CitationCalawa, R. and Smith, G., "High Volume Automated Spar Assembly Line (SAL)," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2073, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2073.
- Rediger, J., Fitzpatrick, K., McDonald, R., and Uebele, D., “Fully Automated Robotic Tool Change”, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2508, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2508.
- Boad, C. and Brandenstein, K., "Plate Cartridge Compact Flexible Automatic Feed System," SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 9(1):163-168, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2080..
- Boad, C., “Fully Automated Off-Line Cartridge Filling Station” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2100, 2017, In Press.
- Assadi, M., Martin, C., Siegel, E., and Mathis, D., "Body Join Drilling for One-Up-Assembly," SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 6(1):188-194, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2296.
- Peck, J. and Massey, K., "Next Generation Composite Wing Drilling Machine for Vertical Builds," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2613, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2613.
- Hempstead, B., Thayer, B., and Williams, S., "Composite Automatic Wing Drilling Equipment (CAWDE)," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3162, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3162.
- ANSI / RIA R15.06 -2012, “Industrial Robots and Robot Systems - Safety Requirements”, 2013, ISBN 978-0-578-12360-8