This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Method of Target Detection Based on Autonomous Radar and Camera Data Fusion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle and pedestrian detection technology is the most important part of advanced driving assistance system (ADAS) and automatic driving. The fusion of millimeter wave radar and camera is an important trend to enhance the environmental perception performance. In this paper, we propose a method of vehicle and pedestrian detection based on millimeter wave radar and camera. Moreover, the proposed method complete the detection of vehicle and pedestrian based on dynamic region generated by the radar data and sliding window. First, the radar target information is mapped to the image by means of coordinate transformation. Then by analyzing the scene, we obtain the sliding windows. Next, the sliding windows are detected by HOG features and SVM classifier in a rough detect. Then using the match function to confirm the target. Finally detecting the windows in a precision detection and merging the detecting windows. The target detection process is carried out in the following three steps. The first step is to read the radar signal and capture the camera data at the same time. The second step is to frame and fuse the data. The third step is to detect the target and display the result. Through experiments, it is proved that the fusion algorithm we proposed can detect vehicle and pedestrian better, and provide the basis for the following target tracking research.
CitationBi, X., Tan, B., Xu, Z., and Huang, L., "A New Method of Target Detection Based on Autonomous Radar and Camera Data Fusion," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1977, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1977.
- Sugimoto S , Tateda H , Takahashi H et al. Obstacle detection using millimeter-wave radar and its visualization on image sequence Pattern Recognition, 2004. ICPR 2004. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on IEEE 2004 3 342 345
- Alessandretti G , Broggi A , Cerri P Vehicle and guard rail detection using radar and vision data fusion IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2007 8 1 95 105
- Vu T D , Aycard O , Tango F Object perception for intelligent vehicle applications: A multi-sensor fusion approach Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, 2014 IEEE IEEE 2014 774 780
- Lisheng JIN , Lei CHENG , Bo CHENG Leading vehicle detection at night based on millimeter-wave radar and machine vision Journal of Automobile Safety and Energy Conservation 2016 7 02 167 174
- Liu , Xin , Sun Zhenping , and He Hangen On-road vehicle detection fusing radar and vision Vehicular Electronics and Safety (ICVES), 2011 IEEE International Conference on IEEE 2011
- Kejia ZHOU Research on pedestrian detection and tracking based on HOG and template matching Jilin University 2014
- Pei Ma Research on detection technology of HOG feature based vehicle MS thesis South China University of Technology 2015
- Dalal , Navneet , and Triggs Bill Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2005. CVPR 2005. IEEE Computer Society Conference on 1 IEEE 2005
- Geiger A , Lenz P , Urtasun R Are we ready for autonomous driving? the kitti vision benchmark suite Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2012 IEEE Conference on IEEE 2012 3354 3361
- Arróspide J. , Salgado L. , Nieto M. Video analysis based vehicle detection and tracking using an MCMC sampling framework EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2012 Jan. 2012 10.1186/1687-6180-2012-2
- Gonzalez A. , Fang Z. , Socarras Y. , Serrat J. , Vazquez D. , Xu J. & Lopez A. Pedestrian Detection at Day/Night Time with Visible and FIR Cameras: A Comparison In Sensors Journal (Sensors) 2016