This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hybrid Camera-Radar Vehicle Tracking with Image Perceptual Hash Encoding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
For sensing system, the trustworthiness of the variant sensors is the crucial point when dealing with advanced driving assistant system application. In this paper, an approach to a hybrid camera-radar application of vehicle tracking is presented, able to meet the requirement of such demand. Most of the time, different types of commercial sensors available nowadays specialize in different situations, such as the ability of offering a wealth of detailed information about the scene for the camera or the powerful resistance to the severe weather for the millimeter-wave (MMW) radar. The detection and tracking in different sensors are usually independent. Thus, the work here that combines the variant information provided by different sensors is indispensable and worthwhile. For the real-time requirement of merging the measurement of automotive MMW radar in high speed, this paper first proposes a fast vehicle tracking algorithm based on image perceptual hash encoding. Then, for sake of efficiency, the tracked target scale is estimated by utilizing the target range measurement from the MMW radar. A series of publicly challenging benchmark image sequences have been tested. The tracking results indicate that the proposed tracker is feasible and effective. Plus, the actual experiments about vehicle tracking are taken to further testify the tracker’s performance. The results show that the proposed tracker can track the vehicle well and update the scale correctly.
CitationChen, S., Huang, L., Bi, X., and Bai, J., "Hybrid Camera-Radar Vehicle Tracking with Image Perceptual Hash Encoding," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1971, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1971.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Garcia F , Cerri P , Broggi A et al. Data fusion for overtaking vehicle detection based on radar and optical flow[C] Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2012 IEEE IEEE 2012 494 499
- Kato T , Ninomiya Y , Masaki I An obstacle detection method by fusion of radar and motion stereo[J] IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2002 3 3 182 188
- Gu C , Wang G , Li Y et al. A hybrid radar-camera sensing system with phase compensation for random body movement cancellation in Doppler vital sign detection[J] IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 2013 61 12 4678 4688
- Kim D Y , Jeon M Data fusion of radar and image measurements for multi-object tracking via Kalman filtering[J] Information Sciences 2014 278 641 652
- Laneurit J , Blanc C , Chapuis R et al. Multisensorial data fusion for global vehicle and obstacles absolute positioning[C] Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2003. Proceedings IEEE 2003 138 143
- Sugimoto S , Tateda H , Takahashi H et al. Obstacle detection using millimeter-wave radar and its visualization on image sequence[C] Pattern Recognition, 2004. ICPR 2004. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on IEEE 2004 3 342 345
- Hofmann U , Rieder A , Dickmanns E D Radar and vision data fusion for hybrid adaptive cruise control on highways[J] Machine Vision and Applications 2003 14 1 42 49
- Mori K , Takahashi T , Ide I et al. Recognition of foggy conditions by in-vehicle camera and millimeter wave radar[C] Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2007 IEEE IEEE 2007 87 92
- Mori K , Kato T , Takahashi T et al. Visibility estimation in foggy conditions by in-vehicle camera and radar[C] Innovative Computing, Information and Control, 2006. ICICIC'06. First International Conference on IEEE 2006 2 548 551
- Alessandretti G , Broggi A , Cerri P Vehicle and guard rail detection using radar and vision data fusion[J] IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2007 8 1 95 105
- Du D , Zhang L , Lu H et al. Discriminative hash tracking with group sparsity[J] IEEE transactions on cybernetics 2016 46 8 1914 1925