This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancing Transmission NVH Performance through Powertrain Control Integration with Active Braking System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper explores the potentiality of reducing noise and vibration of a vehicle transmission thanks to powertrain control integration with active braking. Due to external disturbances, coming from the driver, e.g. during tip-in / tip-out maneuvers, or from the road, e.g. crossing a speed bump or driving on a rough road, the torsional backlashes between transmission rotating components (gears, synchronizers, splines, CV joints), may lead to NVH issues known as clonk. This study initially focuses on the positive effect on transmission NVH performance of a concurrent application of a braking torque at the driving wheels and of an engine torque increase during these maneuvers; then a powertrain/brake integrated control strategy is proposed. The braking system is activated in advance with respect to the perturbation and it is deactivated immediately after to minimize losses. The powertrain control compensates for the added resistance and reestablishes the vehicle longitudinal performance according to driver’s commands. The torsional preload created in the driveline is effective in preventing/reducing vibrations and associated noise. It is worth underlining that the proposed methodology can be directly applied to existing ABS/ESC units, composed of digital solenoid valves, and does not require additional hardware components. The effectiveness of this method has been experimentally validated by means of a Hardware In the Loop (HIL) test bench which includes a Dual Clutch (DCT) transmission and a hydraulic brake system with a customized ABS/ESC unit.
CitationGalvagno, E., Tota, A., Velardocchia, M., and Vigliani, A., "Enhancing Transmission NVH Performance through Powertrain Control Integration with Active Braking System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1778, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1778.
- Galvagno , E. , Morina , D. , Sorniotti , A. , Velardocchia , M. Drivability analysis of through-the-road-parallel hybrid vehicles Meccanica March 2013 48 2 351 366 10.1007/s11012-012-9606-6
- Sorniotti , A. , Galvagno , E. , Morgando , A. , Velardocchia , M. et al. An Objective Evaluation of the Comfort During the Gear Change Process SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1584 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1584
- Capra , D. , Galvagno , E. , Ondrak , V , Van Leeuwen , B. , Vigliani , A. An ABS control logic based on wheel force measurement VEHICLE SYSTEM DYNAMICS 50 12 1779 1796 0042-3114
- Osella G. , Cimmino F. , Galvagno E. , Vafidis C. , Velardocchia M. , Vigliani A. , and Tota A. A method for reducing noise in a driveline of a motor vehicle Dec. 29 2016 WO 2016207806 A1, Patent App. PCT/IB2016/053,701
- Herter , P. et al. Method and device for determining and dampening juddering vibrations of a drivetrain U.S. Patent No 8,352,140 2013
- Ramm , N. , Zimmermann , F. Method and apparatus for controlling engagement and disengagement of the clutch as a function of displacements between engine and vehicle body U.S. Patent No 5,439,425 1995
- Winkel , M. et al. Method and device for actively reducing clutch grabbings in a motor vehicle U.S. Patent No 7,396,314 2008
- Lindström , J. , Fredriksson , K. Method and arrangement for controlling a drive system U.S. Patent No 6,870,335 2005
- Yokouchi , Y. , Hori , T. , Watanabe , H. Vehicle control device and vehicle control method U.S. Patent No 8,909,401 2014
- Qatu , M.S. Recent Research on Vehicle Noise and Vibration International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 8 4 289 301 Dec. 2012
- Galvagno , E. , Guercioni , G. , and Vigliani , A. Sensitivity Analysis of the Design Parameters of a Dual-Clutch Transmission Focused on NVH Performance SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1127 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1127
- Galvagno , E. , Gutierrez , P. , Velardocchia , M. , and Vigliani , A. A Theoretical Investigation of the Influence of Powertrain Mounts on Transmission Torsional Dynamics SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn., Stab., and NVH 1 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1124
- Pacejka , H.B. Tyre and vehicle dynamics 2006 Butterworth, Stoneham
- Krenz , R. Vehicle Response to Throttle Tip-In/Tip-Out SAE Technical Paper 850967 1985 10.4271/850967
- Galvagno Enrico , Velardocchia Mauro , and Vigliani Alessandro Torsional Oscillations in Automotive Transmissions: Experimental Analysis and Modelling Shock and Vibration 2016 2016 10.1155/2016/5721960
- Tota , A. , Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M. , & Vigliani , A. Passenger car active braking system: model and experimental validation (Part I) Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2017
- Tota , A. , Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M. , & Vigliani , A. Passenger car active braking system: pressure control design and experimental results (Part II) Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2017