This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wear of D2 Tool Steel Dies during Trimming DP980-type Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS) for Automotive Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automobile body panels made from advanced high strength steel (AHSS) provide high strength-to-mass ratio and thus AHSS are important for automotive light-weighting strategy. However, in order to increase their use, the significant wear damage that AHSS sheets cause to the trim dies should be reduced. The wear of dies has undesirable consequences including deterioration of trimmed parts' edges. In this research, die wear measurement techniques that consisted of white-light optical interferometry methods supported by large depth-of-field optical microscopy were developed. 1.4 mm-thick DP980-type AHSS sheets were trimmed using dies made from AISI D2 steel. A clearance of 10% of the thickness of the sheets was maintained between the upper and lower dies. The wear of the upper and lower dies was evaluated and material abrasion and chipping were identified as the main damage features at the trim edges. This paper quantifies the wear on the upper and lower dies between 20,000 - 230,000 trimming cycles and notes the observed differences between the wear characteristics in the upper and lower dies.
CitationBhattacharya, S., Green, D., Sohmshetty, R., and Alpas, A., "Wear of D2 Tool Steel Dies during Trimming DP980-type Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS) for Automotive Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1706, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1706.
- Wang, C., Chen, J., Xia, Z.C., and Ren, F., “Die Wear prediction by defining three-stage coefficient K for AHSS sheet metal forming process,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Tech. 69: 797-803, 2013, doi:10.1007/s00170-013-5069-8.
- Eriksen, M., “The influence of die geometry on tool wear in deep drawing,” Wear, 207: 10-15, 1997, doi:10.1016/S0043-1648(96)07461-3.
- Hortig, D. and Schmoeckel, D., “Analyses of local loads on the draw die profile with regard to wear using the FEM and experimental investigations,” J. Mater. Process. Tech. 115: 153-158, 2001, doi:10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00757-9.
- Wang, X.Z. and Masood, S.H., “Optimisation of die radius geometry in sheet metal stamping,” Adv. Mater. Res. 337: 350-353, 2011, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.337.350.
- Hall, J., Mulholland, T., Young, D., and McGuire, J., "Investigation of Stamping Tooling Durability for Dual Phase Steels," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1060, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1060.
- Gillespie, L.K., “Deburring and edge finishing handbook,” Dearborn, MI: Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1999.
- Hoffmann, H., Hwang, C., and Ersoy, K., “Advanced Wear simulation in sheet metal forming,” CIRP Annals-Manuf. Tech. 54: 217-220, 2005, doi:10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60087-0.
- Christiansen, S. and De Chiffre, L., “Topographic characterization of progressive wear on deep drawing dies,” Tribol. Trans. 40: 346-352, 1997, doi:10.1080/10402009708983664.
- Pereira, M.P., Yan, W., and Rolfe, B.F., “Contact pressure evolution and its relation to wear in sheet metal forming,” Wear, 265: 1687-1699, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2008.04.042.
- Pereira, M.P., Yan, W., and Rolfe, B.F., “Wear at the die radius in sheet metal stamping,” Wear, 274-275: 355-367, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2011.10.006.
- Shahani, A.R., Salehinia, I., “Analysis of wear in deep-drawing process of a cylindrical cup,” J. Mater. Process. Tech. 200: 451-459, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.08.076.
- Archard, J., “Contact and rubbing of flat surfaces,” J. Appl. Phys. 24: 981-988, 1953, doi:10.1063/1.1721448.
- Archard, J. and Hirst, W., “The wear of materials under unlubricated conditions,” Proc. Royal Soc. 236: 397-410, 1956, doi:10.1098/rspa.1956.0144.
- Ersoy-Nurnberg, K., Nürnberg, G., Golle, M., and Hoffmann, H., “Simulation of wear on sheet metal forming tools - An energy approach,” Wear, 265: 1801-1807, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2008.04.039.
- Pereira, M.P., Duncan, J., and Yan, W., “Contact pressure evolution at the die radius in sheet metal stamping,” J. Mater. Process. Tech. 209: 3532-3541, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.08.010.
- Andreasen, J.L., Bay, N., and Chiffre, L.D., “Quantification of galling in sheet metal forming by surface topography characterization,” Int. J. Mach. Tool Manuf. 38: 503-510, 1998, doi:10.1016/S0890-6955(97)00095-3.
- Karlsson, P., Gaard, A., Krakhmalev, P., and Bergstrom, J., “Galling resistance and wear mechanisms for cold-work tool steels in lubricated sliding against high strength stainless steel sheets,” Wear, 286-287: 92-97, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2011.04.002.
- Merchant, H.D. and Bhansali, K.J., “Metal transfer and Galling in Metallic Systems,” The Metallurgical Society, Warrendale, PA, 1981.
- Gaard, A., Krakhmalev, P., and Bergstrom, J., “Influence of tool steel microstructure on origin of galling initiation and wear mechanisms under dry sliding against a carbon steel sheet,” Wear, 267: 387-393, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2008.11.013.
- Schedin, E. and Lethinen, B., “Galling mechanisms in lubricated system: a study of sheet metal forming,” Wear, 170: 119-130, 1993, doi:10.1016/0043-1648(93)90358-S.
- Van der Heide, E. and Schipper, D.J., “Galling initiation due to frictional heating,” Wear, 254: 1127-1133, 2003, doi:10.1016/S0043-1648(03)00324-7.
- Cora, O. and Koç, M., “Experimental investigations on wear resistance characteristics of alternative die materials for stamping of advanced high strength steels (AHSS),” Int. J. Mach. Tool Manuf. 49: 897-905, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2009.07.003.
- Golovashchenko, S.F., “A study on trimming of aluminum autobody sheet and development of a new robust process eliminating burrs and slivers,” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 48: 1384-1400, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2006.07.007.
- Bunshah, R.F., “Deposition technologies for films and coatings: developments and applications”, Noyes Publications, 1982.
- Munz, W., “Titanium aluminum nitride films: A new alternative to TiN coatings”, J. Vac. Sci. Tech. A 4: 2717-2725, 1986, doi:10.1116/1.573713.
- Knotek, O., Bohmer, M. and Leyendecker, T., “On structure and properties of sputtered Ti and Al based hard compound films”, J. Vac. Sci. Tech. A 4: 2695-2700, 1986, doi:10.1116/1.573708.
- Ikeda, T. and Satoh, H., “Phase formation and characterization of hard coatings in the Ti-Al-N system prepared by cathodic arc ion plating method”, Thin Solid Films, 195: 99-100, 1991, doi:10.1016/0040-6090(91)90262-V.