This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reactive-Replay Approach for Verification and Validation of Closed-Loop Control Systems in Early Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Enhanced technological capabilities render the application of various, increasingly complex, functional concepts for automated driving possible. In the process, the significance of automotive software for a satisfactory driving experience is growing. To benefit from these new opportunities, thorough assessment in early development stages is highly important. It enables manufacturers to focus resources on the most promising concepts. For early assessment, a common approach is to set up vehicles with additional prototyping hardware and perform real world testing. While this approach is essential to assess the look-and-feel of newly developed concepts, its drawbacks are reduced reproducibility and high expenses to achieve a sufficient and balanced sample. To overcome these drawbacks, new flexible, realistic and preferably automated virtual test methods to complement real world verification and validation are especially required during early development phases. In this contribution, we present a method for automated system assessments based on the reuse of recorded driving data in closed-loop simulation and its application in early development of a predictive cruise control system. Firstly, we identify the requirements for early assessment of closed-loop system concepts, analyze the eligibility of established methods regarding the identified requirements and describe open challenges for development of automotive software systems with focus on early development stages. Our previously introduced Reactive-Replay approach addresses these challenges by enabling reuse of recorded driving data in closed-loop simulation. We complement this approach by introducing automated assessments for evaluation of software increments. By integrating periodic assessments into the development process, we achieve continuous tracking of software quality with very small effort. It is shown that the provision of a broad data pool for simulation based evaluation of new and refined concepts contributes to a substantial reduction of real world test mileage in early development stages.
CitationBach, J., Holzäpfel, M., Otten, S., and Sax, E., "Reactive-Replay Approach for Verification and Validation of Closed-Loop Control Systems in Early Development," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1671, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1671.
- Kammel, S, Pitzer, B., Vacek, S., Schroeder, J. , “Darpa urban challenge, team annieway, technical system description.” Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), 2007. http://archive.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/TechPapers/Team_Annieway.pdf
- Lehmann, E., “Time Partition Testing - Systematischer Test des kontinuierlichen Verhaltens von eingebetteten Systemen.” Ph.D. dissertation, Technische Universität Berlin, Fakultät IV - Elektrotechnik und Informatik, Berlin, 2004.
- Schwab, S. Leichsenring, T. Zofka, and M. Bär, T. “Consistent test method for assistance systems,.” ATZ worldwide, vol. 116, no. 9, pp. 38–43, 2014, doi:10.1007/s38311-014-0216-x
- Oral, H., "An Effective Modeling Architecture for MIL, HIL and VDIL Testing," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Electron. Electr. Syst.6(1):34–45, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0154.
- Albers, A., Düser, T., Sander, O., Roth, C. , “X-in-the-Loop-Framework für Fahrzeuge, Steuergeräte und Kommunikationssysteme,.” ATZelektronik, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 60–65, Oct 2010, doi:10.1007/BF03224034
- Boehm, B., Software Risk Management, Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1989, ISBN:0-8186-8906-4
- Markschläger, P., Wahl, H.-G., Weberbauer, F. and Lederer, M., “Assistance system for higher fuel efficiency,.” ATZ worldwide, vol 114, no. 11, pp. 8–13, 2012, doi:10.1007/s38311-012-0241-6
- Bach, J., Bauer, K.-L., Holzäpfel, M., Hillenbrand, M. , “Control based driving assistant functions test using recorded in field data.” presented at 7. Tagung Fahrerassistenzsysteme, 2015, https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/node?id=1285215
- Ardelt, M., Coester, C., and Kaempchen, N. “Highly automated driving on freeways in real traffic using a probabilistic framework,.” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1576–1585, 2012.
- Nilsson, J., Brännström, M., Fredriksson, J. and Coelingh, E., “Longitudinal and lateral control for automated yielding maneuvers,.” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1404–1414, 2016.
- Bauer, K. and Gauterin, F., "A Two-Layer Approach for Predictive Optimal Cruise Control," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0634, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0634.
- Automotive SPICE Process Assessment / Reference Model, 3rd ed., VDA QMC Working Group 13 and Automotive SIG, Berlin, Germany, 7 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.automotivespice.com/
- Cordts, M., Omran, M., Ramos, S., Rehfeld, T. , “The cityscapes dataset for semantic urban scene understanding.” presented at IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2016, https://www.cityscapes-dataset.com/
- Lomonaco, J., Ganesan, S., and Cheok, K., "Model-Based Embedded Controls Test and Verification," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0487, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0487
- Neumann-Cosel, K., “Virtual Test Drive - Simulation umfeldbasierter Fahrzeugfunktionen.” Ph.D. dissertation, Technische Universität München, Fakultät für Informatik, 2013.
- Bach, J., Otten, S., and Sax, E., “A model-based scenario specification method to support development and test of automated driving functions.” presented at IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2016.
- Piketec GmbH, “TPT assessment manual - Version 8”, Berlin, 2015.
- Zofka, M., Kuhnt, F., Kohlhaas, R., Rist, C. , “Data-driven simulation and parametrization of traffic scenarios for the development of advanced driver assistance systems,” presented at 18th international conference on information fusion (fusion), 2015.