This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of the Effect of Vortex Generation on Flow Structure and Heat Transfer Enhancement using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this experimental work, a flow field test system embedded with different vortex generators was installed to investigate the impact of vortex generation on heat transfer of air flow in a horizontal channel, and the flow structure was evaluated using a particle image velocimetry (PIV) system. Three different configurations of vortex generators were fitted vertically on a flat plate, at attack angles of 15o, 30o, and 45o, and tested at four different incoming air velocities. An axial fan was used to supply the flow of air through the test section. The effects of Reynolds number, attack angle, and the shape of vortex generators were examined in this work. The experimental results showed that, the presence of vortex generators had considerable effect on temperature distribution, pressure drop, and heat transfer augmentation in the channel flow. Compared with the smooth channel, the heat transfer rate was enhanced by (6.7% - 30.1%), (9% - 36.8%), and (8.7% - 31%) while the pressure drop increased by (2.1% - 26.3%), (7.6% - 52.7%), and (14.5% - 48.3%) with a small single delta winglet pair, a large single delta winglet pair, and two small VG pairs deployed in a V-formation array, respectively. The PIV experimental results showed that the flow field produced from a winglet pair of vortex generators is a counter-rotating pair of vortices that formed at the location immediately following the trailing edge of VGs, and the vortices pair disperses while moving downstream. These vortices are much larger with a large single winglet pair type compared to the other two VG types.
CitationMorjan, S., Jawad, B., and Liu, L., "Investigation of the Effect of Vortex Generation on Flow Structure and Heat Transfer Enhancement using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1609, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1609.
- Edwards F. J. and Alker G. J. R., The improvement of Forced Convection Surface Heat Transfer using Surface Protrusions in the Form of (a) Cubes and (b) Vortex Generators, Proceedings of the Fifth International Heat Transfer Conference, 2 (1974) 2244-2248.
- Gentry M. C. and Jacobi A. M., Heat Transfer Enhancement by Delta-Wing Vortex Generators on a Flat Plate: Vortex Interactions with the Boundary Layer, Experimental Thermal and fluid science, 14 (1997) 231-242.
- Wang Q., Chena Q., Wang L., Zenga M., Huangc Y., and Xiao Zejun, Experimental Study of Heat Transfer Enhancement in Narrow Rectangular Channel with Longitudinal Vortex generators, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 237 (2007) 686 - 693.
- Li H. Y., Chen C. L., Chao S. M., and Liang G. F., Enhancing Heat Transfer in Plate-Fin Heat Sink Using Delta Winglet Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 67 (2013) 666-677.
- Wu J. M. and Tao W.Q., Numerical Study on Laminar Convection Heat Transfer in a Rectangular Channel with Longitudinal Vortex Generator, Part A: Verification of Field Synergy Principle, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 51 (2008) 1179-1191.
- He J. and Jacobi A. M., Air-Side Heat Transfer Enhancement by a V-formation Delta-Winglet Array in a Developing Channel flow, International Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Conference at Purdue, (2010) 2484/1-8.
- Zhou G. and Ye Q., Experimental Investigations of Thermal and Flow Characteristics of Curved Trapezoidal Winglet Type Vortex Generators, Applied Thermal Engineering, 37 (2012) 241-248.
- Zhou G. and Feng Z., Experimental Investigations of Heat Transfer Enhancement by Plane and Curved Winglet Type Vortex Generators with Punched Holes, International Journal of thermal Sciences, 78 (2014) 26-35.
- Dafedar M. A., Najeem M., Fakruddin Y., and Chirag P., Heat Transfer Augmentation in Different Geometries of Dimpled Surface under Natural Convection an Experimental Approach, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 2 (2013) 937-940.
- Promvonge P., Chompookham T., Kwankaomeng S., and Thianpong C., Enhanced Heat Transfer in a Triangular Ribbed Channel with Longitudinal Vortex Generators, Energy Conversion and Management, 51 (2010) 1242-1249.
- Min C., Qi C., Wang E., Tian L., and Qin Y., Numerical Investigation of Turbulent Flow and Heat Transfer in Channel with Novel Longitudinal Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 55 (2012) 7268-7277.
- Liu C., Teng J. T., Chu J. C., Chiu Y. L., Huang S., Jin S., Dang T., Greif R., and Pang H. H., Experimental Investigations on Liquid Flow and Heat Transfer in Rectangular Micro channel with Longitudinal Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (2011) 3069-3080.
- Chen C., Teng J.T., Cheng C. H., Jin S., Huang S., Liu C., Lee M. T., Pan H.H., and Greif R., A study on Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Rectangular Micro- Channels with various Longitudinal Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 69 (2014) 203-214.
- Leu J.S., Wu Y. H., and Jang J.Y., Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Analysis in Plate-fin and Tube Heat Exchangers with a Pair of Block Shape Vortex Venerators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 47 (2004) 4327-4338.
- Wu J. M. and Tao W.Q., Effect of Longitudinal Vortex Generator on Heat Transfer in Rectangular Channels, Applied Thermal Engineering, 37 (2012) 67-72.
- Kattea W. A., an Experimental Study on the Effect of Shape and Location of Vortex Generators Ahead of a Heat Exchanger, AL-Khwarizmi Engineering Journal, 8(2012)12-29.
- Du X., Feng L., Yang Y. and, Yang L., Experimental Study on Heat Transfer Enhancement of Wavy Finned Flat Tube with Longitudinal Vortex Generators, Applied Thermal Engineering Vol. 50 (2013) 55-62.
- Smotrys M. L., Ge H., Jacobi A. M., and Dutton J. C., Flow and Heat Transfer Behavior for a Vortex-Enhanced Interrupted Fin, Journal of Heat Transfer, 125 (2003) 788-794.
- Henze M., Dietz C., Neumann S. O., Wolfersdorf J. V., and Weigand B., Heat Transfer Enhancement from Single Vortex Generators, ASME Turbo Expo 2005: Power for Land, Sea and Air, (2005) 1-9.
- Min C., Qi C., Kong X., and Don J., Experimental Study of Rectangular Channel with Modified Rectangular Longitudinal Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53 (2010) 3023-3029.
- Henze M., and Wolfersdorf J. V., Influence of Approach Flow Conditions on Heat Transfer Behind Vortex Generators, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54(2011) 279-287.
- Henze M., Wolfersdorf J. V., Weigand B., Dietz C.F., and Neumann S. O., Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics Behind Vortex Venerators, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 32 (2011) 318-328.
- Cui C. C., Cheng T. M., Min Z. G., and Li L. X., Experimental study by PIV of Swirling Flow Induced by Trapezoid Winglets, Journal of Hydrodynamic, 25 (2013) 919-928.
- Mikielewicz D., Stasiek A., Jewartowski M., and Stasiek J., Measurements of Heat Transfer Enhanced by the Use of Transverse Vortex Generators, Applied Thermal Engineering 49 (2012) 61-72.