This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Janus V3 After Market Vehicle Camera with Global Positioning and 3-Axis Accelerometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study presents a method to characterize the accuracy and precision of video-acceleration-position (VAP) devices, and presents results from testing of one such vehicle camera (“dashcam”) with global positioning system (GPS) used by taxi companies nationwide. Tests were performed in which vehicle kinematic data were recorded in a variety of real world conditions simultaneously by the VAP device, accelerometers, and a proven GPS-based speed sensing and data acquisition system. Data from the VAP device was compared to data collected by the reference instruments to assess timing, precision, and accuracy of reported parameters. Still images from the VAP video recording were compared with three dimensional laser scan data in order to analyze field of view. Several case studies are discussed, and some guidelines and cautions are provided for use of VAP data in accident reconstruction applications.
CitationWhite, K. and Merala, R., "Characterization of Janus V3 After Market Vehicle Camera with Global Positioning and 3-Axis Accelerometer," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1420, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1420.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Rose , N. A. , Neale , W.T.C. , and Carter , N.R. Using Data From A DriveCam Video Event Recorder to Reconstruct a Hard Braking Event Collision 7 1 110 120 2012
- Rose , N. A. , Carter , N. R. , Pentecost , D. , Bortles , W. , and Voitel , T. Using Data from a DriveCam Event Recorder to Reconstruct a Vehicle-to-Vehicle Impact SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0778 2013
- Nexar , https://www.getnexar.com/about/ September 2016
- Neale , W. , Danaher , D. , McDonough , S. , and Owens , T. Data Acquisition using Smart Phone Applications SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1461 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1461
- Jones , A. , Sealey , R. , Crowe , M. , and Gordon , S. Concurrent validity and reliability of the Simple Goniometer iPhone app compared with the Universal Goniometer Physiotherapy Theory and Practice 30 7 512 516 2014
- Wolfgang , R. , and Burgess-Limerick , R. Using consumer electronic devices to estimate whole-body vibration exposure Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 11 6 D77 D81 2014
- Roenitz , E. , Happer , A. , Johal , R. , and Overgaard , R. Characteristic Vehicular Deceleration for Known Hazards SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0098 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0098