This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lane-Keeping Behavior and Cognitive Load with Use of Lane Departure Warning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lane Departure Warning (LDW) systems, along with other types of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), are becoming more common in passenger vehicles, with the general aim of improving driver safety through automation of various aspects of the driving task. Drivers have generally reported satisfaction with ADAS with the exception of LDW systems, which are often rated poorly or even deactivated by drivers. One potential contributor to this negative response may be an increase in the cognitive load associated with lane-keeping when LDW is in use. The present study sought to examine the relationship between LDW, lane-keeping behavior, and concurrent cognitive load, as measured by performance on a secondary task. Participants drove a vehicle equipped with LDW in a demarcated lane on a closed-course test track with and without the LDW system in use over multiple sessions. On a subset of laps, participants were required to perform a secondary task requiring mental arithmetic while driving. The frequency and duration of lane line crossings and the participants’ accuracy on the secondary arithmetic task were recorded for each lap in two sessions. LDW successfully enhanced lane-keeping behavior in the earlier session, but this effect was eliminated in the later session. Secondary task performance showed no effect of LDW on the earlier session, but significantly declined when LDW was in use during the second session. Implications of these preliminary results are discussed with regard to overall driver performance with LDW and other ADAS, as well as driver acceptance of more fully autonomous vehicle systems.
- Helene G. Moorman - Exponent Inc.
- Andrea Niles - Exponent Inc.
- Caroline Crump - Exponent Inc.
- Audra Krake - California State University Long Beach
- Benjamin Lester - Exponent Inc.
- Laurene Milan - Exponent Inc.
- Christy Cloninger - Exponent Inc.
- David Cades - Exponent Inc.
- Douglas Young - Exponent Inc.
CitationMoorman, H., Niles, A., Crump, C., Krake, A. et al., "Lane-Keeping Behavior and Cognitive Load with Use of Lane Departure Warning," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1407, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1407.
- Bengler , K. , Dietmayer , K. , Farber , B. , Maurer , M. et al. Three decades of driver assistance systems: Review and future perspectives IEEE Intell. Transp. Syst. Mag. 6 4 6 22 2014
- Predicted availability of safety features on registered vehicles -an update Highw. Loss Data Inst. Bull. 31 5 2014
- Paul , A. , Chauhan , R. , Srivastava , R. , and Baruah , M. Advanced driver assistance systems SAE Tech. Pap. 2016-28-0223 2006
- NHTSA Traffic safety facts 2014: A compilation of motor vehicle crash data from the fatality analysis reporting system and the general estimates system DOT HS 812 261 2014
- Sternlund , S. , Strandroth , J. , Rizzi , M. , Lie , A. et al. The effectiveness of lane departure warning systems - a reduction in real-world passenger car injury crashes Traffic Inj. Prev. 0 2016 10.1080/15389588.2016.1230672
- LeBlanc , D. , Sayer , J. , Winkler , C. , Ervin , R. et al. Road Departure Crash Warning System Field Operational Test: Methodology and Results. Volume 2: Appendices 2006
- Deroo , M. , Hoc , J.-M. , and Mars , F. Influence of risk expectation on haptically cued corrective manoeuvres during near lane departure Ergonomics 55 4 465 475 2012
- Navarro , J. , Yousfi , E. , Deniel , J. , Jallais , C. et al. The impact of false warnings on partial and full lane departure warnings effectiveness and acceptance in car driving Ergonomics 1 12 2016 10.1080/00140139.2016.1158323
- Rimini-Doering , M. , Altmueller , T. , Ladstaetter , U. , and Rossmeier , M. Effects of lane departure warning on drowsy drivers’ performance and state in a simulator Oct. 2016
- Kozak , K. , Pohl , J. , Birk , W. , Greenberg , J. et al. Evaluation of lane departure warnings for drowsy drivers Proceedings of the human factors and ergonomics society annual meeting 2006
- Luxury owners embrace systems to skirt crashes IIHS Status Rep. 44 10 2009
- Sanchez , D. , Garcia , E. , Saez , M. , Benmimoun , M. et al. European large-scale field operational tests on in-vehicle systems EuroFot 2012
- Reagan , I.J. and McCartt , A.T. Observed activation status of lane departure warning and forward collision warning of Honda vehicles at dealership service centers Traffic Inj. Prev. 17 8 827 832 2016 10.1080/15389588.2016.1149698
- Ranney , T.A. Models of driving behavior: a review of their evolution Accid. Anal. Prev. 26 6 733 750 1994
- Dinges , D. , Maislin , G. , Brewster , R. , Krueger , G. et al. Pilot test of fatigue management technologies Transp. Res. Rec. J. Transp. Res. Board 1922 175 182 2005
- Young , M.S. and Stanton , N.A. Malleable attentional resources theory: a new explanation for the effects of mental underload on performance Hum. Factors 44 3 365 375 2002
- Merat , N. , Jamson , A.H. , Lai , F.C.H. , and Carsten , O. Highly automated driving, secondary task performance, and driver state Hum. Factors 54 5 762 771 2012
- Ma , R. and Kaber , D.B. Situation awareness and workload in driving while using adaptive cruise control and a cell phone Int. J. Ind. Ergon. 35 10 939 953 2005 10.1016/j.ergon.2005.04.002
- Rudin-Brown , C.M. and Parker , H.A. Behavioural adaptation to adaptive cruise control (ACC): implications for preventive strategies Transp. Res. Part F Traffic Psychol. Behav. 7 2 59 76 2004 10.1016/j.trf.2004.02.001
- Cades , D.M. , Crump , C. , Lester , B.D. , and Young , D. Driver Distraction and Advanced Vehicle Assistive Systems (ADAS): Investigating Effects on Driver Behavior Stanton , N. A. , Landry , S. , Bucchianico , G. D. , and Vallicelli , A. Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation Springer International Publishing 978-3-319-41681-6 1015 1022 2017 10.1007/978-3-319-41682-3_83
- Crump , C. , Cades , D. , Rauschenberger , R. , Hildebrand , H. , Schwark , J. , Barakat , B. , and Young , D. Driver Reactions in a Vehicle with Collision Warning and Mitigation Technology SAE Technical Paper , No. 2015-01-1411 2015
- El Jaafari , M. , Forzy , J.F. , Navarro , J. , Mars , F. et al. User acceptance and effectiveness of warning and motor priming assistance devices in car driving Proceedings of European conference on human centred design for intelligent transport systems 311 2008
- Crump , C. , Cades , D. , Lester , B. , Reed , S. et al. Differing perceptions of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 60 1 SAGE Publications 2016