This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle-GIS Assistant Driving System for Real-time Safety Speed Warning on Mountain Roads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Downhill mountain roads are the accident prone sections because of their complexity and variety. Drivers rely more on driving experience and it is very easy to cause traffic accidents due to the negligence or the judgment failure. Traditional active safety systems, such as ABS, having subjecting to the driver's visual feedback, can’t fully guarantee the downhill driving safety in complex terrain environments.
To enhance the safety of vehicles in the downhill, this study combines the characteristics of vehicle dynamics and the geographic information. Thus, through which the drivers could obtain the safety speed specified for his/her vehicle in the given downhill terrains and operate in advance to reduce traffic accidents due to driver's judgment failure and avoid the brake overheating and enhance the safety of vehicles in the downhill.
Firstly, the characteristics of the driving conditions under the change of various slope lengths and gradients are studied based on models of both engine braking and wheel braking. The real-time information and characteristics of the vehicle on the mountainous area, such as the weight, the speed, the gear and the engine RPM, the vehicle braking torque characteristics on the mountainous area are analyzed. Meanwhile, the electronic map and GPS positioning are utilized to calculate the road gradient information. Finally, geographic information, road traffic speed limits and the brake efficiency will be combined to obtain a suggested safe speed at the top of the downhill roads and give as safety speed pre-warning to the driver.
Simulation results and case studies the pre-warning scheme works well for downhill roads, especially for the length from 1 km to 1.5 km and the slope gradient ranged between 3% and 6%. It suggests that the proposed scheme is more effective for improvement of the safety driving in the hilly slope area, where the slope is not too steep and the slope length is not too long and can be widely used in such areas to protect the safety of downhill driving.
|Technical Paper||An Investigation of Anti-lock Braking System for Automobiles|
|Technical Paper||Stability-Control And Traction-Control At Four-Wheel-Drive Cars|
CitationQian, K., Tan, G., Zhou, R., Mei, B. et al., "Vehicle-GIS Assistant Driving System for Real-time Safety Speed Warning on Mountain Roads," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1400, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1400.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Situ Liying The Driver Visual speed controlling Design Method of the Long Steep Downgrade Considering the Temperature Rise of Drum Break[D] Wuhan University of Technology 2010
- Haworth N. , Rechnitzer G. Description of fatal crashes involving various casual variables (Report No CR 119) [J] Canberra Federal Office of Road Safety 1993
- AASHTO Green Book: A Policy on Geometric Design of Highway and Street
- Sheng Li Design of Mountain Highway Emergency Lane [D] Chang’an University 2015
- Xiangdong Zhang Analysis on the Causes of Common Accidents and Design Defects in Safe Haven [J] Gansu science and technology 2013 02 74 76
- Block. H. Theoretical studies of temperature rise at surfaces of actual contact underoilness lubricating conditions [M] Proceeding of General Discussion of Lubricants, The Institute of Mechanical Engineer 1937 2 225 235
- Yuming Sheng Safety Hidden Trouble of Air Pressure Water Spraying Device and its Improvement Measures [J] Highways Automotive Applications 2007 02 5 7
- Jun Yan Research on High Power Hydraulic Retarder Design and Brake Torque Control Algorithm [D] Wuhan University of Technology 2010
- Xuexun Guo and Wei Zheng Modern vehicle retarder [J] Automobile Research & Development 2005 05 39 42
- Construction of the highway Committee Technical Standard of Highway Engineering[M] China Communications Press 2014
- Xiaofei Pei , Zhaodu Liu and Zhiquan Qi Road surface identification method for vehicle longitudinal integrated control system [J] China Journal of Highway and Transport 2014 05 177 182
- Sheng Yan Performance Simulation Research of Engine Supplementary Brake [D] Hunan University 2013
- Guangzhao Luo , Limei Huang , Wei Shi Research on measurement technology of static load based on tire pressure [J] Acta Metrologica Sinica 2011 32 4 333 337
- Yongtian Gu The Experimental Research on the Temperature Rise of Drum Brake [D] Chang’an University 2008 Continuance Brake in Long Downhill Mountains
- Bowman Brain L. Grade Severity Rating System (GSRS)-Users Manual [R] Federal Highway Administration Office of Safety & Traffic Operation Research and Development 1989
- Xiaosong Bai , Ruifang Zhang , Damai Zhou Study on Distribution Law of Slope Land in Mountainous Area of Northern China [J] Soil and Water Conservation in China 2010 05 39 40