This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the Effect of Air-Mat Seat Pressure Level on Seating Comfort
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Seat cushions are considered as one of the important factors influence the seating comfort. In the automotive seat cushions, flexible polyurethane foams have been widely used due to the cushioning performance. Automotive seat designers are paying more attention to the improvement of seat cushion properties. This study introduces an automotive seat that uses an air-mat in the seat cushion along with polyurethane foam. The air-mat can be adjusted with its internal air pressure. The objective of this paper is to examine air-mat seat pressure level on seating comfort. Vibration experiments have been performed on the BSR simulator with random vibration. Tri-axial accelerometers were used to measure vibration at the foot and hip. All measured vibration were about the vertical direction (z-axis). The whole-body vibration exposure parameters (weighted root-mean-square (RMS), vibration dose value (VDV), transmissibility (SEAT value)) were calculated per ISO 2631-1 standard. The air-mat internal air pressures considered were 0.017, 0.035, 0.053, and 0.07 MPa. Twelve healthy individuals who had more than ten years of driving experience participated. The participants were grouped into four weight groups were ~45 kg, 60-70 kg, 70-80 kg, and 90-100 kg. Results showed that weighted RMS, VDV, and SEAT value decreased with increased internal air pressure level for 45 kg weight group. However, a different trend of results observed for other weight groups. The possible explanation could be hip muscle characteristics includes muscle thickness, muscle strength, fat (i.e., damping effect). This paper will discuss the seat development, seating comfort evaluation method, results, and suggestions.
- Se Jin Park - Korea Research Institute of Standards & Science
- Murali Subramaniyam - Korea Research Institute of Standards & Science
- Seunghee Hong - Korea Research Institute of Standards & Science
- Damee Kim - Korea Research Institute of Standards & Science
- Tae Hyun Kim - Daewon Kang Up Co., Ltd.
- Dong Woo Cho - Daewon Kang Up Co., Ltd.
- Bum Il Shim - Daewon Kang Up Co., Ltd.
CitationPark, S., Subramaniyam, M., Hong, S., Kim, D. et al., "A Study of the Effect of Air-Mat Seat Pressure Level on Seating Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1395, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1395.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Park , S. , Subramaniyam , M. , Kim , S. E. et al. Enhancement of Automotive Seating Comfort using Double-wall 3D Air Mat Cushion SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1430 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1430
- Park , S. and Kim , C. The Evaluation of Seating Comfort by the Objective Measures SAE Technical Paper 970595 1997 10.4271/970595
- Park , S. , Cheung , W. , Cho , Y. , and Yoon , Y. Dynamic Ride Quality Investigation for Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 980660 1998 10.4271/980660
- Park , S. , Min , B. , Lee , J. , and Kang , E. Development of the Evaluating System for Ride Comfort and Fatigue in Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0388 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0388
- Park , S. , Min , S. , Subramaniyam , M. , Lee , H. et al. Vibration Effect Investigation in Baby Car Seats and Automobile Seats SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0462 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0462
- Park , S. , Min , S. , Subramaniyam , M. , Lee , D. et al. Analysis of Body Pressure Ratio for Evaluation of Automotive Seating Comfort SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0456 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0456
- Park , S. and Subramaniyam , M. Evaluating Methods of Vibration Exposure and Ride Comfort in Car J Ergon Soc Korea 32 4 381 387 2013 10.5143/JESK.2013.32.4.381
- Hong , K. T. , Hwang , S. H. and Hong , K. S. 2003, August Automotive ride-comfort improvement with an air cushion seat In Proceedings of SICE Annual Conference in Fukui 2043 2048
- Huston , D. , Johnson , C. , Wood , M. and Zhao , X. Vibration Attenuating Characteristics of Air Filled Seat Cushions Journal of Sound and Vibration 22 333 340 1999 10.1006/jsvi.1998.2016
- Griffin , M. Handbook of Human Vibration Academic Press London 1990
- Griffin , M. A comparison of standardized methods for predicting the hazards of Whole-body vibration and shocks J. of Sound and Vibration 215 4 883 914 1998 10.1006/jsvi.1998.1600
- ISO 2631-1:1997 Mechanical vibration and shock - Evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration - Part 1: General requirements