This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Robust Database for Measuring Human Gaze Behavior and Performance during Naturalistic Driving
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vision plays a key role in the safe and proper operation of vehicles. To safely navigate, drivers constantly scan their environments, which includes attending to the outside environment as well as the inside of the driver compartment. For example, a driver may monitor various instruments and road signage to ensure that they are traveling at an appropriate speed. Although there has been work done on naturalistic driver gaze behavior, little is known about what information drivers glean while driving. Here, we present a methodology that has been used to build a database that seeks to provide a framework to supply answers to various ongoing questions regarding gaze and driver behavior. We discuss the simultaneous recording of eye-tracking, head rotation kinematics, and vehicle dynamics during naturalistic driving in order to examine driver behavior with a particular focus on how this correlates with gaze behavior. This paper serves as a proof of concept for the development of a robust dataset to study driver behavior across a wide range of roadway environments, including but not limited to, signalized and unsignalized intersections, and freeways.
|Journal Article||Accuracy of SUAS Photogrammetry for Use in Accident Scene Diagramming|
|Technical Paper||Introduction to Traffic Signal Data Loggers and their Application to Accident Reconstruction|
CitationTavassoli, A., Perlmutter, S., Bui, D., Todd, J. et al., "Development of a Robust Database for Measuring Human Gaze Behavior and Performance during Naturalistic Driving," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1369, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1369.
- Land , M. F. & Tatler , B. W. Looking and Acting: Vision and Eye Movements in Natural Behavior New York, NY Oxford University Press 2009 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198570943.001.0001
- Land , M. F. & Lee , D. N. Where We Look When We Steer Nature 369 6483 742 744 1994 10.1038/369742a0
- Lappi , Otto , and Lehtonen Esko Tangent Point Orientation and Anticipated Trajectory Curvature-a field study on the visual control of high speed steering Proceedings of CogSci 2012, the thirtyfourth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society 1851 1846
- Ren , Yuan-yuan , Li Xian-sheng , Zheng Xue-lian , Li Zhe , Zhao Qichao , and Chen Xiao-Xia Analysis and Modeling of Driver's Gaze Trajectories in Curves Driving Advances in Mechanical Engineering 6 129601 2014 10.1155/2014/129601
- Land , M. F. Eye Movements and the Control of Actions in Everyday Life Progress in Retinal and Eye Research 25 3 296 324 2006 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2006.01.002
- Kito , Tsuneo , Haraguchi Masahiro , Funatsu Takayuki , Sato Motoharu , and Kondo Michiaki Measurements of Gaze Movements while Driving Perceptual and motor skills 68 1 19 25 1989 10.2466/pms.1918.104.22.168
- Kettwich , C. & Fors , C. Driver Gaze Behaviour at Cycle Crossings in Daylight and at Night VTI (Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute) 2011
- Chapman , Peter R. , and Underwood Geoffrey Visual search of driving situations: Danger and experience Perception 27 8 951 964 1998 10.1068/p270951
- Krauss , D.A. , Tavassoli , A. , & Olson , P. 2015 Driver Eye Movements and Visual Attention Forensic Aspects of Driver Perception and Response 4th Krauss D Tucson, AZ Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc. 2015
- Harbluk , J. L. , Noy , Y. I. , Trbovich , P. L. , & Eizenman , M. An On-Road Assessment of Cognitive Distraction: Impacts on Drivers’ Visual Behavior and Braking Performance Accident Analysis & Prevention 39 2 372 379 2007 10.1016/j.aap.2006.08.013
- Sodhi , M. , Reimer , B. , & Llamazares , I. Glance analysis of driver eye movements to evaluate distraction Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers 34 4 2002 529 538 10.3758/BF03195482
- Bar-Yehuda , Z. Plot Google Map Matlab Central