This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Similarity Evaluation Metric for Mesh Based CAE Model Simplification and Its Application on Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
To obtain higher efficiency in analysis process, simplification methods for computer-aided engineering (CAE) models are required in engineering. Current model simplification methods can meet certain precision and efficiency requirement, but these methods mainly concentrate on model features while ignoring model mesh which is also critical to efficiency of the analysis process and preciseness of the results. To address such issues, an integrated mesh simplification and evaluation process is proposed in this paper. The mesh is simplified to fewer features (e.g. faces, edges, and vertices) through edge collapsing based on quadric error metric. Then curvatures and normal vectors which are the objects to be evaluated are extracted from the original and simplified models for comparison. To obtain accurate results, the geometric information of mesh nodes and elements are both considered in this evaluation process. The proposed method is implemented on a vehicle crash test. The results demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed integrated method.
CitationYang, X., Zhan, Z., Jiang, N., Yang, J. et al., "A Similarity Evaluation Metric for Mesh Based CAE Model Simplification and Its Application on Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1332, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1332.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Sheffer , A. Model simplification for meshing using face clustering Computer-Aided Design 2001 13 925 934
- Zhu , H. and Menq , C.H. B-Rep model simplification by automatic fillet/round suppressing for efficient automatic feature recognition Computer Aided Design -London-Butterworth 2002 2 109 123
- Satoshi , K. , Daisuke , I. , Yui , E. , Hideki , S. , Naoki , K. Appearance preserving simplification of 3D CAD model with large-scale assembly structures International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing 2012 3 139 154
- Hoppe , H. , Derose , T. , Duchamp , T. , McDonald , J. , Stuetzle , W. Mesh optimization Anaheim, CA 1993
- Hoppe , H. New Quadric Metric for Simplifying Meshes with Appearance Attributes Proc. IEEE Visualization '99 1999
- Hoppe , H. View-dependent refinement of progressive meshes Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH) 1997 189 198
- Ronfard R. , Rossignac , J. Full-range approximation of triangulated polyhedral Computer Graphics Forum 1996 3 67 76
- Garland , M. Surface Simplification Using Quadric Error Metrics Computer Graphics (Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH) 1997 209 216
- Popescu , D. and Dobrescu , R. Plastic surface similarity measurement based on textural and fractal features MATERIALE PLASTICE 2008 2 158 162
- Bo , L. and Yijuan L. A comparison of methods for sketch-based 3D shape retrieval COMPUTER VISION AND IMAGE UNDERSTANDING 2014 57 80
- Cardone , A. , Gupta , S.K. , Deshmukh , A. , Karnik , M. Machining feature-based similarity assessment algorithms for prismatic machined parts Computer-Aided Design 2006 9 954 972
- Cardone , A. , Gupta , S.K. , Karnik , M. A Survey of Shape Similarity Assessment Algorithms for Product Design and Manufacturing Applications Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering 2003 2 109 118