This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Performance of an SI Engine Fueled with Methanol-Gasoline and Ethanol-Gasoline Blend with Hydrogen Boosting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Dependency and increase in use of fossil fuels is leading to its depletion and raises serious environmental concerns. There are international obligations to reduce emissions and requirements to strengthen security of fuel supply which is pressuring the automobile industry to use cleaner and more sustainable fuels. Hydrogen fits these criteria as it is not just an abundant alternative but also a clean propellant and Hydrogen engines represent an economic alternative to fuel cells. In the present investigation, EGR has been used on hydrogen boosted SI engine running on gasoline-methanol and ethanol-gasoline blends to determine the additional advantages of the same compared to pure gasoline operation and gasoline-methanol and ethanol-gasoline blends without EGR. The engine selected for experimental analysis is a single cylinder, air cooled spark ignition engine that has been modified for hydrogen injection in the intake manifold prior to the port with the injection timing being held constant throughout the experiment. The fuels were selected according to the individual advantages that these alcohols offer on blending and the effect of hydrogen addition on the parameters is reported. Parameters such as brake power, Brake Thermal Efficiency and emissions were compared for both methanol and ethanol with hydrogen boosting and EGR.
CitationJaiswal, A., Mehra, T., Alam, M., Agarwal, J. et al., "Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Performance of an SI Engine Fueled with Methanol-Gasoline and Ethanol-Gasoline Blend with Hydrogen Boosting," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1282, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1282.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Internal combustion engines, by: M. L. Mathur. And R.P. Sharma, pub.: Dhanpat Rai& sons.
- Hui Liu, Zhi Wang, Jianxin Wang, Methanol-gasoline DFSI (dual-fuel spark ignition) combustion with dual-injection for engine knock suppression, Energy, Volume 73, 14 August 2014, Pages 686–693, ISSN 0360-5442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.06.072.
- Hong Zhao, Yunshan Ge, Chunxiao Hao, Xiukun Han, Mingliang Fu, Linxiao Yu, Naeem Shah Asad, Carbonyl compound emissions from passenger cars fueled with methanol/gasoline blends, Science of The Total Environment, Volume 408, Issue 17, 1 August 2010, Pages 3607–3613, ISSN 0048-9697, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.03.046.
- Turner J.W.G., Pearson R.J., Dekker E., Iosefa B., Johansson K., ac Bergström K., Extending the role of alcohols as transport fuels using iso-stoichiometric ternary blends of gasoline, ethanol and methanol, Applied Energy, Volume 102, February 2013, Pages 72–86, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.07.044.
- Muharrem Eyidogan, Necati Ozsezen Ahmet, Mustafa Canakci, Ali Turkcan, Impact of alcohol-gasoline fuel blends on the performance and combustion characteristics of an SI engine, Fuel, Volume 89, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 2713–2720, ISSN 0016-2361, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.01.032.
- Sebastian Verhelst, Thomas Wallner, Hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engines, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Volume 35, Issue 6, December 2009, Pages 490–527, ISSN 0360-1285, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2009.08.001.
- Pearson RJ, Eisaman MD, Turner JW, Edwards PP, Jiang Z, Kuznetsov VL, Energy storage via carbon-neutral fuels made from CO2, water, and renewable energy. Proc IEEE 2012;100(2):440e60.
- Bhaskar, V. V. N., Prakash R. Hari, and Prasad B. Durga. "HYDROGEN FUELLED IC ENGINE–AN OVERVIEW." IJITR 1, no. 1 (2013): 046–053.
- Ali Mohammadi, Masahiro Shioji, Yasuyuki Nakai, Wataru Ishikura Performance and combustion characteristics of a direct injection SI hydrogen engine, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 32, Issue 2, February 2007, Pages 296–304, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2006.06.005.
- Kosmadakis G.M., Rakopoulos C.D., Demuynck J., De Paepe M., Verhelst S. , CFD modeling and experimental study of combustion and nitric oxide emissions in hydrogen-fueled spark-ignition engine operating in a very wide range of EGR rates, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 37, Issue 14, July 2012, Pages 10917–10934, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.04.067.
- Liu Xiaolong, Ji Changwei, Gao Binbin, Wang Shuofeng, Liang Chen, Yang Jinxin, A laminar flame speed correlation of hydrogen–methanol blends valid at engine-like conditions, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 38, Issue 35, 22 November 2013, Pages 15500–15509, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.09.031.
- Shenghua Liu, Cuty Clemente Eddy R., Tiegang Hu, Yanjv Wei, “Study of spark ignition engine fueled with methanol/gasoline fuel blends”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 27, Issues 11–12, August 2007, Pages 1904–1910, ISSN 1359-4311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.12.024.
- Ma F, Liu H, Wang Y, Li Y, “Combustion and emission characteristics of a port-injection HCNG engine under various ignition timings”. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2008;33(2):816e22.
- Bo Zhang, Changwei Ji, Shuofeng Wang, Xiaolong Liu, “Combustion and emissions characteristics of a spark-ignition engine fueled with hydrogen-methanol blend sunder lean and various loads conditions”, Energy, Volume 74, 1 September 2014, Pages 829–835, ISSN 0360-5442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.07.055.
- Bo Zhang, Changwei Ji, Shuofeng Wang, Yuchen Xiao, “Investigation on the cold start characteristics of a hydrogenenriched methanol engine”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 39, Issue 26, 3 September 2014, Pages 14466–14471, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.04.012.
- Lee Sunyoup, Park Seunghyun, Kim Changgi, Kim Young-Min, Kim Yongrae, Park Cheolwoong, Comparative study on EGR and lean burn strategies employed in an SI engine fueled by low calorific gas, Applied Energy, Volume 129, 15 September 2014, Pages 10–16, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.04.082.
- Luján José Manuel, Climent Héctor, Novella Ricardo, Rivas-Perea Manuel Eduardo, Influence of a low pressure EGR loop on a gasoline turbocharged direct injection engine, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 89, 5 October 2015, Pages 432–443, ISSN 1359-4311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.06.039.
- Ji Changwei, Zhang Bo, Wang Shuofeng, Enhancing the performance of a spark-ignition methanol engine with hydrogen addition, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 38, Issue 18, 18 June 2013, Pages 7490–7498, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.04.001.
- Bo Zhang, Changwei Ji, Shuofeng Wang, Yuchen Xiao, “Investigation on the cold start characteristics of a hydrogen enriched methanol engine”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 39, Issue 26, 3 September 2014, Pages 14466–14471, ISSN 0360-3199, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.04.012.
- Canakci Mustafa, Ozsezen Ahmet Necati, Alptekin Ertan, Eyidogan Muharrem, Impact of alcohol–gasoline fuel blends on the exhaust emission of an SI engine, Renewable Energy, Volume 52, April 2013, Pages 111–117, ISSN 0960-1481, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.09.062.
- Kak, A., Kumar, N., Singh, B., Singh, S. , "Comparative Study of Emissions and Performance of Hydrogen Boosted SI Engine Powered by Gasoline Methanol Blend and Gasoline Ethanol Blend," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1677, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1677.