This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Extended Range Electric Vehicle Powertrain Simulation, and Comparison with Consideration of Fuel Cell and Metal-Air Battery
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The automobile industry has been undergoing a transition from fossil fuels to a low emission platform due to stricter environmental policies and energy security considerations. Electric vehicles, powered by lithium-ion batteries, have started to attain a noticeable market share recently due to their stable performance and maturity as a technology. However, electric vehicles continue to suffer from two disadvantages that have limited widespread adoption: charging time and energy density. To mitigate these challenges, vehicle Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have developed different vehicle architectures to extend the vehicle range.
This work seeks to compare various powertrains, including: combined power battery electric vehicles (BEV) (zinc-air and lithium-ion battery), zero emission fuel cell vehicles (FCV)), conventional gasoline powered vehicles (baseline internal combustion vehicle), and ICE engine extended range hybrid electric vehicle. The parameters of comparison are: energy consumption, range, life cycle and tailpipe emissions, cost, and customer acceptance. A unique zinc-air battery model was developed using the vehicle modelling software to perform the analysis, with consideration of research data, current market status, and controls logic of the dual energy systems powertrain.
Modelling of the five powertrains was performed using the vehicle modelling software Autonomie. In correspondence with the EcoCar 3 competition , the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro was used as the vehicle architecture platform. A powertrain decision matrix was developed to compare these powertrains from the metrics of energy consumption, emissions, customer acceptance, and life cycle cost. Emissions analysis is completed as a ‘Well-to-Wheel’ analysis in order to take into account all sources of emissions production.
As expected, all powertrains devoid of a gasoline internal combustion engine had lower tailpipe and greenhouse gas emissions. Powertrains powered by battery power alone, however, were not able to achieve the total range target, but it will be shown that developments in the metal-air battery will aid in addressing this limitation.
CitationCatton, J., Wang, C., Sherman, S., Fowler, M. et al., "Extended Range Electric Vehicle Powertrain Simulation, and Comparison with Consideration of Fuel Cell and Metal-Air Battery," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1258, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1258.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) 2016 January 2016 EcoCar3 Advanced Vehicle Technology Competition http://ecocar3.org/
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2015 CAFE - Fuel Economy National Highway Traffic Safety Administration April 27 2015 http://www.nhtsa.gov/fuel-economy/
- Harpster , T. E. , Harpster , M. O. , & Savagian , P. J. 2008 The Electrification of the Automobile: From Conventional Hybrid, to Plug-in Hybrids, to Extended-Range Electric Vehicles SAE International 1 1 156 160 10.4271/2008-01-0458
- Boulanger , A. G. , Chu , C. A. , Maxx , S. , & Waltz , D. L. 2011 Vehicle Electrification: Status and Issues Proceedings of the IEEE 39 6 1116 1138 10.1109/JPROC.2011.2112750
- Ehsani , M. , Gao , Y. , & Emadi , A 2009 Modern Electric, hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fundamentals, Theory, and Design Second Boca Raton CRC Press
- Electric Vehicles Initiative (EVI) 2015 Global EV Outlook 2015 Chicago The Clean Energy Ministerial’s Electric Vehicles Initiative (EVI)
- Husain , I. 2010 In Electric and Hybrid Vehicles: Design Fundamentals Second CRC Publisher
- Whaling , C. 2013 Dec 2 Electric drive power electronics: an overview IEEE Transportantion Electrification http://tec.ieee.org/newsletter/december-2013/electric-drive-power-electronics-an-overview
- BioAge Group, LLC 2012 October 12 SAE International releases new fast-charging combo coupler standard (SAE J1772) for plug-in electric and electric vehicles BioAge Group, LLC. http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/10/j1772-20121015.html
- Tate , E. , Harpster , M. , and Savagian , P. The Electrification of the Automobile: From Conventional Hybrid, to Plug-in Hybrids, to Extended-Range Electric Vehicles SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1 1 156 166 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0458
- Murray , C. J. 2010 11 5 Automakers Opting for Model-Based Design Design News
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) 2016 January Autonomie - math-based plug-and-play software for automotive system design http://www.anl.gov/technology/project/autonomie-automotive-system-design
- Armand , M. , & Taracon , M. 2008 Building better batteries Nature 451 7179 652 657 10.1038/451652a
- Li , Y. , & Dai , H. 2014 Recent advances in zinc-air batteries Chemical Society Reviews 43 15 5257 5275 10.1039/C4CS00015C
- Linden , D. , & Reddy , T. B. 2001 Handbook of batteries (Third Edition). New York McGraw-Hill
- Lee , D. U. , Park , H. W. , Park , M. G. , Ismayilov , V. , & Chen , Z. 2014 Synergistic Bifunctional Catalyst Design based on Perovskite Oxide Nanoparticles and Intertwined Carbon Nanotubes for Rechargeable Zinc–Air Battery Applications ACS applied materials & interfaces 7 1 902 910 10.1021/am507470f
- Lee , D. U. , Choi , J.-Y. , Feng , K. , Park , H. W. , & Chen , Z. 2014 Advanced Extremely Durable 3D Bifunctional Air Electrodes for Rechargeable Zinc-Air Batteries Advanced Energy Materials 4 6 1 5 10.1002/aenm.201301389
- Independent Electricity System Operator 2015 ONTARIO ENERGY REPORT Q1 2015 Quarterly Energy Report Ontario Energy Board
- Ontario GasBuddy 2016 Mar. 1 Ontario gas prices Ontario GasBuddy http://www.ontariogasprices.com/
- U.S. Department of Energy 2014 DOE Fuel Cell Technologies Office Record U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Energy 2014 2013 Fuel Cell Technologies Market Report Washington, D.C. Breakthrough Technologies
- U.S. Department of Energy 2015 Pathways to commercial Success. Washington, D.C. Breakthrough Technologies