This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Current Harmonics Impact on Torque Ripple in PM Machine Drive System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The current of an electric machine driven by PWM switching inverter is not ideal sinusoidal, containing different levels of harmonics. The current harmonics have important impact on the electrical machine torque ripple which could translate into transmission and vehicle level Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH). In this work, the current waveforms were measured from dyno test at prescribed torque and speed levels, and the electric machine torque ripple was computed with the measured current. This paper will focus on the investigation of the current harmonics behaviors and features at various torque and speed conditions, the impact on torque ripple, and the possible mitigation method to reduce torque ripple. The key findings and insights include: the current harmonics for the same torque conditions but in different motoring and regenerating conditions could have impact on torque ripple in the opposite direction; The phase angle of current harmonics tend to be more sensitive in driving the torque ripple level in comparison to the magnitude of current harmonics; the torque ripple can be lowered with appropriate values of current magnitude and phase angle compared to pure the sinusoidal-waveform current.
CitationTang, C., Limsuwan, N., Chandrasekhar, N., Ma, Z. et al., "Current Harmonics Impact on Torque Ripple in PM Machine Drive System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1231, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1231.
- Cao , Y. , Wang , D. , Zhao , T. , Liu , X. Resolution of a Low Speed Vehicle Vibration Issue in EV Mode for a Hybrid Vehicle Prototype SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9 2 482 488 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1307
- Momen , F. , Rahman , K. , Son , Y. , and Savagian , P. Electric Motor Design of General Motors’ Chevrolet Bolt Electric Vehicle SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 5 2 286 293 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1228
- Vagati , A. , Pastorelli , M. , Franceschini , G. , and Petrache , S. C. Design of low-torque-ripple synchronous reluctance motors IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application 34 4 758 765 Jul./Aug. 1998
- Jahns , T. M. and Soong , W. L. Pulsating torque minimization techniques for permanent magnet ac motor drives—A review IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics 43 2 321 330 Apr. 1996
- Han , S. H. , Jahns , T. M. , Soong , W. L. , Guven , M. K. , and Illindala , M. S. Torque ripple reduction in interior permanent magnet synchronous machines using stators with odd number of slots per pole pair IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion 25 1 118 127 Mar. 2010
- Neely , J. , Pekarek , S. , Beccue , P. , Benavides , N. Design of a Piezoelectric Sensor-Based Controller for Mitigation of Torque Ripple in a Brushless DC Machine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3223 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3223