This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding Limits to the Mechanical Efficiency of Opposed Piston Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the crank and gear-train dynamics of a two-stroke opposed piston diesel engine design uncovered a disconnect between the thermodynamic process and its conversion to mechanical work. The classic two-stroke opposed piston design phases the intake piston to lag the exhaust piston in order to achieve favorable gas exchange, overcoming the disadvantage of piston-controlled ports. One result of this is that significantly more of the engine torque is delivered by the leading crank than from the trailing one. This paper will examine why this torque difference occurs showing that it is not simply a proportioning of the available thermodynamic work but a result of a fundamental mechanical loss mechanism that limits the achievable brake efficiency of this engine architecture. This analysis will provide a basis for developing effective design solutions to overcome the mechanical loss by providing an understanding of this loss mechanism.
CitationMorton, R., Riviere, R., and Geyer, S., "Understanding Limits to the Mechanical Efficiency of Opposed Piston Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1026, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1026.
- Pirault , J-P. , and Flint , M. Opposed Piston Engines: Evolution, Use and Future Applications Warrendale, Pa SAE International 2010 978-0-7680-1800-4
- Fairbanks-Morse Engine Opposed Piston Engine Model 38 8 1/8 http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engines/opposed-piston-model-38/ Jan. 2017
- Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau KMDB Oplot Main Battle Tank http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/body/oplot_mbt.php Jan. 2017
- Gemini Diesel Gemini Diesel Home Page http://www.geminidiesel.aero Jan. 2017
- Cox Powertrain Cox Powertrain: CXO300, the latest in diesel outboard technology http://www.coxpowertrain.com Jan. 2017
- Cox , D. Internal Combustion Engine United States of America Patent US-8499726-B2 January 4 2010
- Sharma , A. and Redon , F. Multi-Cylinder Opposed-Piston Engine Results on Transient Test Cycle SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1019 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1019
- Achates Power Inc. Achates Power - Fundamentally Better Engines http://achatespower.com Jan. 2017
- EcoMotors EcoMotors - opoc engine, fuel efficient 2-stroke, modular powertrain technology http://ecomotors.com Jan. 2017
- Herold , R. , Wahl , M. , Regner , G. , Lemke , J. et al. Thermodynamic Benefits of Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2216 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2216
- Schweitzer , P. Scavenging of Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines New York The Macmillan Company 1949
- Junker , H. Engine United Sates of America Patent 2031318 February 18 1936
- Taylor , C. The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, Volume 1: Thermodynamics, Fluid Flow, Performance Second 1 2 Cambridge, Massachusetts The M.I.T Press 1985 0-262-70026-3
- Paul , B. Kinematics and Dynamics of Planar Machinery Englewood Cliffs, N.J. Prentice Hall 1979 0-13-516062-6
- Morton , R. Uniflow Engine with Intake and/or Exhaust Valves Patent applied for