This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Pre-Turbine Catalyst Placement on Methane Oxidation in Lean-Burn Gas Engines: An Experimental and Numerical Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The effect of increased pressure relevant to pre-turbine catalyst positioning on catalytic oxidation of methane over a commercial Pd-Pt model catalyst under lean conditions is investigated both experimentally and numerically. The possible gas phase reactions due to high temperature and pressure were tested with an inert monolith. Catalyst activity tests were conducted for both wet and dry gas mixtures and the effect of pressure was investigated at 1, 2 and 4 bar. Aside from the water in the inlet stream, the water produced by oxidation of methane in dry feed inhibited the activity of the catalyst as well. Experiments were carried out to check the effect of added water in the concentration range of water produced by methane oxidation on the catalyst activity. Based on the experimental results, a global oxidation rate equation is proposed. The reaction rate expression is first order with respect to methane and -1.15 with respect to water. Although higher pressure leads to longer residence time, the higher pressure also increases the water concentration on the catalyst surface. Thus, the beneficial effect of pressure is affected by the inhibitory effect of water on the catalyst activity, particularly at lower temperatures.
|Technical Paper||Cold-Start Hydrocarbon Speciation and Trap Materials for Gasoline Engines|
|Technical Paper||Methane Production over Three-Way Catalysts in E85-Fuelled Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study on Unsteady Gas Jet|
- Bentolhoda Torkashvand - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Andreas Gremminger - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Simone Valchera - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Maria Casapu - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Jan-Dierk Grunwaldt - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Olaf Deutschmann - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
CitationTorkashvand, B., Gremminger, A., Valchera, S., Casapu, M. et al., "The Impact of Pre-Turbine Catalyst Placement on Methane Oxidation in Lean-Burn Gas Engines: An Experimental and Numerical Study," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1019, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Ciuparu D., Lyubovsky M.R., Altman E., Pfefferle L.D., Datye A., "Catalytic combustion of methane over palladium-based catalysts," Catal. Rev. Sci.Eng. 44: 593-649, 2002, doi: 10.1081/CR-120015482.
- Gelin P., Primet M., "Complete oxidation of methane at low temperature over noble metal based catalysts: a review," Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 39:1-37, 2002. doi: 10.1016/S0926-3373(02)00076-0.
- Ciuparu D., Perkins E., Pfefferle L., "In situ DR-FTIR investigation of surface hydroxyls on γ-Al2O3 supported PdO catalysts during methane combustion," Appl. Catal. A: Gen. 263: 145-153, 2004, doi: 10.1016/j.apcata.2003.12.006.
- Cullis C.F., Nevell T.G., Trimm D.L., "Role of the catalyst support in the oxidation of methane over palladium," J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans. 1: Phys. Chem.Condens. Phases 68: 1406-1412, 1972, doi: 10.1039/F19726801406.
- Eriksson S., Boutonnet M., Jaras S., "Catalytic combustion of methane in steam and carbon dioxide-diluted reaction mixtures," Appl. Catal. A-Gen. 312: 95-101, 2006, doi: 10.1016/j.apcata.2006.06.032.
- Escandon L.S., Nino D., Diaz E., Ordonez S., Diez F.V., "Effect of hydrothermal ageing on the performance of Ce-promoted PdO/ZrO2 for methane combustion," Catal. Commun. 9: 2291-2296, 2008, doi: 10.1016/j.catcom.2008.05.026.
- Gremminger A. T., Pereira de Carvalho H. W., Popescu R., Grunwaldt J.-D., Deutschmann O.. "Influence of gas composition on activity and durability of bimetallic Pd-Pt/Al2O3 catalysts for total oxidation of methane, "Catal. Today 258:470-480, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.cattod.2015.01.034.
- Schwartz W.R., Ciuparu D., Pfefferle L.D., "Combustion of Methane over Palladium-Based Catalysts: "Catalytic Deactivation and Role of the Support," J. Phys. Chem. C 116: 8587-8593, 2012, doi: 10.1021/jp212236e.
- Gholami R., Alyani M., Smith K.J., "Deactivation of Pd Catalysts by Water during Low Temperature Methane Oxidation Relevant to Natural Gas Vehicle Converters," Catalysts 5(2): 561-594, 2015, doi: 10.3390/catal5020561.
- Satterfield C.N., "Heterogeneous catalysis in practice," McGraw-Hill Company, 1980, doi: 10.1002/aic.690270223.
- Günter T., Schäfer K., Pesek J., Bertótiné Abai A., Casapu M., Deutschmann O., Grunwaldt J.-D.. "Cu-SSZ-13 as pre-turbine NOx-removal-catalyst: Impact of pressure and catalyst poisons". Appl. Catal. B 198: 548-557, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2016.06.005.
- Kröcher O., Elsener M., Bothien M.R., Dölling W., "Pre-Turbo Scr - Influence of Pressure on NOx Reduction," MTZ worldwide 75(4): 46-51, 2014, doi: 10.1007/s38313-014-0140-x.
- Subramaniam, M., Hayes, C., Tomazic, D., Downey, M. et al., "Pre-Turbo Aftertreatment Position for Large Bore Diesel Engines - Compact & Cost-Effective Aftertreatment with a Fuel Consumption Advantage," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):106-116, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0299.
- Groppi G., Ibashi W., Valentini M., Forzatti P., "High-temperature combustion of CH4 over PdO/Al2O3: kinetic measurements in a structural annular reactor, "Chem. Eng. Sc. 56:831-839,2001,doi: 10.1016/S0009-2509(00)00295-5
- Persson K., Pfefferle L.D., Schwart W., Ersson A., Jaeras S.G., "Stability of palladium-based catalysts during catalytic combustion of methane: The influence of water, " Appl. Catal. B-Env 74:242-250, 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2007.02.015
- Deutschmann O., Tischer S., Kleditzsch S., Janardhanan V.M., Correa C., Chatterjee D., Mladenov N., Minh H.D., DETCHEM Software package, version 2.3, www.detchem.com, 2013
- Mladenov N., Koop J., Tischer S., Deutschmann O., "Modeling of transport and chemistry in channel flows of automotive catalytic converters, "Chem. Eng. Sc. 65:812-826, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.ces.2009.09.034.
- Raja L.L., Kee R.J., Deutschmann O., Warnatz J., Schmidt L.D., "A critical evaluation of Navier-Stokes, boundary-layer, and plug-flow models of the flow and chemistry in a catalytic-combustion monolith, "Catal. Today 59:47-60, 2000, doi: 10.1016/S0920-5861(00)00271-6.
- Kee R.J., Dixon-Lewis G., Warnatz J., Coltrin M.E., Miller J.A., Sandia Report SAND86-8246, Sandia National Laboratories, New Mexico, 1986.
- Fujimoto K., Ribeiro F.H., Avalos-Borja M., Iglesia E., "Structure and Reactivity of PdOx/ZrO2 Catalysts for Methane Oxidation at Low Temperatures," J. Catalysis 179:431-442, 1998
- Trinchero A., Hellman A., Gröneck H., "Methane oxidation over Pd and Pt studied by DFT and kinetic modeling," Surf. Sc 616:206-213, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.susc.2013.06.014.
- Xin Y., Wang H., Law C.K., "Kinetics of catalytic oxidation of methane, ethane and propane over palladium oxide," Combustion and Flame 161:1048-1054, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2013.10.023.
- Bergeret G., Gallezot P., Particle size and dispersion measurements, in: Ertl G., Knözinger H., Schüth F., Weitkamp J. (Eds.), Handbook of Heterogeneous Catalysis,2nd ed., Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 2008, pp. 738-765.
- Castellazzi P., Groppi G., Forzatti P., Baylet A., Marecot P., Duprez D., "Role of Pd loading and dispersion on redox behaviour and CH4 combustion activity of Al2O3 supported catalysts, "Catal. Today155:18-26, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.cattod.2009.02.029.
- Müller C.A., Maciejewski M., Koeppel R.A., Baiker A., "Combustion of methane over palladium/zirconia: effect of Pd-particle size and role of lattice oxygen," Catal. Today 47:245-252, 1999, doi: 10.1016/S0920-5861(98)00305-8.
- Hayes R.E., Kolaczkowski S.T., Li P.K.C., Awdry S., "The palladium catalysed oxidation of methane: reaction kinetics and the effect of diffusion barriers, "Chem. Eng. Sc 56: 4815-4835, 2001, doi: 10.1016/S0009-2509(01)00131-2
- Kolaczkowski, S. T., Thomas, W. J., Titiloye, J., & Worth, D. J. "Catalytic combustion of methane in a monolith reactor: Heat and mass transfer under laminar flow and pseudo-steady-state reaction conditions, "Combustion Science and Technology, 118:79-100, 1996, doi: 10.1080/00102209608951973
- Liu, B., Hayes, R. E., Checkel, M. D., Zheng, M., & Mirosh, E. "Reversing How catalytic converter for a natural gas/diesel dual fuel engine, ". Chemical Engineering Science, 56(8): 2641-2658, 2001, doi: 10.1016/S0009-2509(00)00535-2
- Hurtado P., Ordonez S., Sastre H., Diez F.V., "Combustion of methane over palladium catalyst in the presence of inorganic compounds: inhibition and deactivation phenomena, "Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 47:85-93, 2004, doi: 10.1016/S0926-3373(03)00328-X.
- Narui K., Yata H., Furuta K., Nishida A., Kohtoku Y., Matsuzaki T., "Effects of addition of Pt to PdO/Al2O3 catalyst on catalytic activity for methane combustion and TEM observations of supported particles, "Appl. Catal. A-Gen 179(1-2):165-173, 1999, doi: 10.1016/S0926-860X(98)00306-8
- Coller D.H., Vincente B.C., Scott S.L., "Rapid extraction of quantitative kinetic information from variable-temperature reaction profiles, "Chem. Eng. J 303:182-193, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2016.05.136.