This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Axial NO 2 Utilization Measurements within a Partial Flow Filter during Passive Regeneration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Measuring axial exhaust species concentration distributions within a wall-flow aftertreatment device provides unique and significant insights regarding the performance of complex devices like the SCR-on-filter. In this particular study, a less complex aftertreatment configuration which includes a DOC followed by two uncoated partial flow filters (PFF) was used to demonstrate the potential and challenges. The PFF design in this study was a particulate filter with alternating open and plugged channels. A SpaciMS  instrument was used to measure the axial NO2 profiles within adjacent open and plugged channels of each filter element during an extended passive regeneration event using a full-scale engine and catalyst system. By estimating the mass flow through the open and plugged channels, the axial soot load profile history could be assessed. This paper describes the catalyst system, measurement and analysis, and gives insights regarding the spatiotemporal evolution of a passive regeneration event within the PFF system.
CitationCunningham, M., Kim, M., Lakkireddy, V., and Partridge, W., "Axial NO2 Utilization Measurements within a Partial Flow Filter during Passive Regeneration," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0988, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0988.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Partridge , W. , Storey , J. , Lewis , S. , Smithwick , R. et al. Time-Resolved Measurements of Emission Transients By Mass Spectrometry SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2952 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2952
- He , Suhao , Heibel Achim Karl-Erich Ceramic partial wall-flow filter with low deep bed U.S. Patent 20140238242 A1 https://www.google.com/patents/US20140238242
- Basu , S. , Henrichsen , M. , Tandon , P. , He , S. et al. Filtration Efficiency and Pressure Drop Performance of Ceramic Partial Wall Flow Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 3 877 893 2013 10.4271/2013-01-9072
- Ahmadinejad , M. , Tsolakis , A. , Becker , J. , Goersmann , C. et al. Modelling of Soot Oxidation by NO2 in a Diesel Particulate Filter SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 359 369 2012 10.4271/2011-01-2083
- Messerer , A. , Niessner R. , Poschl U. Comprehensive kinetic characterization of the oxidation and gasification of model and real diesel soot by nitrogen oxides and oxygen under engine exhaust conditions: Measurement, Langmuir-Hinshelwood, and Arrhenius parameters Carbon 44 2006 307 324
- Tronconi , E. , Nova I. , Marchitti F. , Koltsakis G. , Karamitros D. , Maletic B. , Markert N. , Chatterjee D. , Hehle M. 2015 Interaction of NO x Reduction and Soot Oxidation in a DPF with Cu-Zeolite SCR Coating Emission Control Science and Technology May 2015 1 2 134 151 10.1007/s40825-015-0014-y
- Choi Jae-Soon , Partridge William P. , Epling William S. , Currier Neal W. , and Yonushonis Thomas M. 2006 Intra-channel evolution of carbon monoxide and its implication for the regeneration of monolithic Pt/K/Al 2 O 3 NO x storage-reduction catalyst Catalysis Today 114 102 111 10.1016/j.cattod.2006.02.011
- William P. Partridge and Choi Jae Soon 2009 NH3 formation and utilization in regeneration of Pt/Ba/Al2O3 NOx storage-reduction catalyst with H2 Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 91 144 151 10.1016/j.apcatb.2009.05.017
- Auvray Xavier , Partridge William P. , Choi Jae-Soon , Pihl Josh A. , Yezerets Aleksey , Kamasamudram Krishna , Currier Neal W. , Olsson Louise 2012 Local ammonia storage and ammonia inhibition in a monolithic copper-beta zeolite SCR catalyst Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 126 144 152 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2012.07.019
- Shakir O. , Yezerets A , Currier NW , Epling WS Spatially resolving concentration and temperature gradients during the oxidation of propylene on Pt/Al 2 O 3 Applied Catalysis A: General 365 301 308 2009
- Morgan , K. , Touitou J. , Choi J.-S. , Coney C. , Hardacre C. , Pihl J.A. , Stere C.E. , Kim M.-Y. , Stewart C. , Goguet A. , Partridge W.P. Evolution and enabling capabilities of spatially resolved techniques for the characterization of heterogeneously catalyzed reactions ACS Catal. 6 2016 1356 1381
- Nguyen , H. , Peng P.Y. , Luss D. , Harold M.P. Assessing intrusion by the capillary during spatially resolved mass spectrometry measurement Chemical Engineering Journal 307 845 859 2017 10.1016/j.cej.2016.08.101
- Hettel , M. , Diehm C. , Torkashvand B. , Deutschmann O. Critical evaluation of in situ probe techniques for catalytic honeycomb monoliths Catal. Today 216 2013 2 10