This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This review paper summarizes major and representative developments in vehicle engine efficiency and emissions regulations and technologies from 2016. The paper starts with the key regulatory developments in the field, including newly proposed European RDE (real driving emissions) particle number regulations, and Euro 6 type regulations for China and India in the 2020 timeframe. China will be tightening 30-40% relative to Euro 6 in 2023. The California heavy duty (HD) low-NOx regulation is advancing and the US EPA is anticipating developing a harmonized proposal for implementation in 2023+. The US also finalized the next round of HD GHG (greenhouse gas) regulations for 2021-27, requiring 5% engine CO2 reductions. LD (light duty) and HD engine technology continues showing marked improvements in engine efficiency. Key developments are summarized for gasoline and diesel engines to meet both the emerging criteria and greenhouse gas regulations. Several LD gasoline concepts are achieving 10-15% and some up to 35% reductions relative to GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines of today. Projections indicate tight CO2 regulations will require some degree of hybridization and/or high-performing diesel engines. HD engines are demonstrating more than 50% BTE using methods that can reasonably be commercialized; and unique proposals are proposed for reaching 55% BTE. Lean NOx control technologies are summarized, including SCR (selective catalytic reduction), SCR filters, and combination systems. Emphasis is on durability, and greatly reduced emissions. Diesel PM (particulate matter) reductions are evolving around soot regeneration for both standard DPFs (diesel particulate filters) and SCR filters. Research oxidation catalysts are oxidizing propane and CO, and methane at 225-250°C. Gasoline particulates are a major topic in emissions control. The paper provides a broad overview of various factors that can impact emissions. Gasoline particulate filter durability and ash loading is better understood. Finally, the paper discusses some key developments in three-way catalysts, with improved understanding of lower-cost catalysts and system considerations. Advances in lean-burn gasoline emissions control from a few labs are also summarized.
|Technical Paper||After-Treatment Systems to Meet China NS VI, India BS VI Regulation Limits|
|Journal Article||Vehicular Emissions in Review|
|Journal Article||Review of Vehicular Emissions Trends|
CitationJohnson, T. and Joshi, A., "Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0907, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0907.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- “Cradle-to-Grave Lifecycle Analyses of US Light-Duty Vehicle-Fuel Pathways: A Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Economic Assessment of Current (2015) and Future (2025-2030) Technologies”, Argonne National Lab, ANL/ESD-16/7
- Johnson, T., "Vehicular Emissions in Review," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1258-1275, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0919.
- Draft version of RDE3. Final version not yet published. “amending Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/xxx and Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards real-driving emissions from light passenger and commercial vehicles (Euro 6), https://circabc.europa.eu/faces/jsp/extension/wai/navigation/container.jsp?FormPrincipal:_idcl=FormPrincipal:_id1&FormPrincipal_SUBMIT=1&id=596d2e11-f8eb-4db2-929e-44a6ae34bebb&javax.faces.ViewState=J0wCTikGLfAXNdymLB0AoJb4YqQdjf10aIu7PeRX9ElF44KA%2BV9Z4qg799gQ7K5UypShcyJeTu5P8sRRY%2B6I3oHQKg3dtbw%2FubRXnTZ2kxxn0D4XnaJBXJp5UOQoIe699gzPOGzrWoztalRl821nQsk8eciuM%2BvpVhgTog%3D%3D
- “Die umweltfreundlichsten Autos (EcoTest ab Dezember 2016), ADAC Fahrzeugtechnik, https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/28842_288648.pdf
- Andrews, G. E., Li, H., Hadavi, A.S., Khalfan, A., et al., , “Read world emissions in low speed congested traffic and read world emissions performance of a HDD truck with urea SCR NOx control”, presented at 5th International Conference on RDE, 2016, 19-20 May 2016, BOSMAL, Poland.
- Northrop, W., “Semi-volatile particulate matter from low temperature diesel combustion using conventional and alternative fuels”, presented at 5th International Conference on RDE, 2016, 19-20 May 2016, BOSMAL, Poland.
- “Draft Technical Assessment Report: Midterm Evaluation of Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards for Model Years 2022-2025”, Office of Transportation and Air Quality, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation And California Air Resources Board, EPA-420-D-16-900 July 2016
- “Limits and measurement methods for exhaust pollutants from compression ignition and gas fuelled positive ignition engines of vehicles ( VI)”, GB 17691-2016.
- EU, 2016. “Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/1718”, Official Journal of the European Union, 27.9.2016, L 259, 1, http://eurlex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32016R1718
- “Certification of Diesel Engines Equipped with Vanadium-Based SCR Catalyst”, June 13, 2016, CD-16-09 (HD), June 13, 2016.
- Ayala, R., “Lower HD GHG and NOx Emissions -California’s Drive Towards Cleaner On-Road Vehicles and Better In-Use Performance”, presentation at SAE 2016 Heavy-Duty Diesel Emission Control Symposium, September 20 & 21, 2016, Gothenburg.
- “Petition to EPA for Rulemaking to Adopt Ultra-Low NOx Exhaust Emissions Standards for On-Road Heavy-duty Trucks and Engines.” June 3, 2016. https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/petitions-office-air-and-radiation
- “Memorandum in Response to Petition For Rulemaking to Adopt Ultra-Low NOx Standards for On-Highway Heavy-Duty Trucks and Engines”, https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-12/documents/nox-memorandum-nox-petition-response-2016-12-20.pdf
- Brezny, R., “Vehicle Emission Standards and Emission Control Experience”, CLEERS teleconference, January 18, 2017. See also www.MECA.org
- “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles-Phase 2”, Federal Register, Vol. 81, No. 206, October 25, 2016, Rules and Regulations. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-10-25/pdf/2016-21203.pdf.
- Khan, S., “The Future of Heavy-Duty Vehicle Fuel Efficiency”, 9th Integer Emissions Summit & DEF Forum, 26 October 2016, Chicago, USA
- Spears, M., “Overview of the Final Phase 2 Fuel Efficiency and GHG Emission Standards for Heavy-Duty Vehicles”, 9th Integer Emissions Summit & DEF Forum, 26 October 2016, Chicago.
- Delgado, O., Muncrief, R., “New Study on Technology Potential for EU Tractor-Trailers”, presentation at Road to Efficiency Workshop, Brussels, June 9, 2016. https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/2016_06_ICCT_tech_potential_EU_Tractor-Trailer_FINAL.pdf
- Schuckert, M., “Do We Need CO2 Limits for HDVs to Fulfill European Climate Targets? An OEM Perspective”, 12th Integer Emissions Summit and AdBlue Forum, Brussels, June 2016.
- “Monitoring Heavy Duty Vehicles' (HDV) Fuel Consumption And CO2 Emissions with a View to Improving Purchaser Information”, 20 July 2016, http://ec.europa.eu/smart-regulation/roadmaps/docs/2015_clima_018_iaa_heavy_duty_vehicles_en.pdf
- Official Journal of the EU as Regulation (EU) 2016/1628.
- Okita, R., “Mazda SKYACTIV-G Engine with New Boosting Technology”, Mazda, Adv. Clean Cars Symposium, 2016
- Ellies, B., Schenk, C., and Dekraker, P., "Benchmarking and Hardware-in-the-Loop Operation of a 2014 MAZDA SkyActiv 2.0L 13:1 Compression Ratio Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1007, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1007.
- Sellnau, M., “Aftertreatment for Low-Temperature Combustion and US Tier3-Bin 30 Emissions”, presented at the SAE 2017 Light Duty Emissions Control Symposium, Washington DC, Jan 2017.
- Alger, T., “New Developments in Dedicated EGR Engines”, presentation at 16th Hyundai Kia International Powertrain Conference, Namyang, Korea, 2016.
- Alger, T., Walls, M., Chadwell, C., Joo, S. et al., "The Interaction between Fuel Anti-Knock Index and Reformation Ratio in an Engine Equipped with Dedicated EGR," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):786-795, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0712.
- Fujimoto, Y., “Introduction of Variable Compression Turbo Engine”, presentation at Advanced Clean Cars Symposium, California, Sept. 2016.
- Uhlmann, T., “Introduction to Future Gasoline Engine Technology”, presentation at 16th Hyundai Kia International Powertrain Conference, Namyang, Korea, 2016.
- Mendler, C., Genise D., Zurface, A., “High Efficiency VCR Engine with Variable Valve Actuation and New Supercharging Technology”, 2016 DOE Annual Merit Review, Washington, June 2016.
- Kim, J., Park, H., Bae, C., Choi, M., Kwak, Y. “Effects of Water Direct Injection on the Torque Enhancement and Fuel Consumption Reduction of a Gasoline Engine Under High-Load Conditions”, Int. J. Eng. Res., 2016, 17(7) 795-808.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Baumgarten, H., Dohmen, J. “Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions”, Int. J. Eng. Res., 2016, 17(1) 86-96.
- Thomas, J., "Vehicle Efficiency and Tractive Work: Rate of Change for the Past Decade and Accelerated Progress Required for U.S. Fuel Economy and CO2 Regulations," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9(1):290-305, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0909.
- Gearhart, C., “Implications of Sustainability for the United States Light-Duty Transportation Sector”, MRS Energy & Sustainability : A Review Journal, Materials Research Society, 2016, doi:10.1557/mre.2016.8
- Zaccardi, J-M, and De Paola, G., “Fuel Efficiency Improvements for Post-Euro 6 Diesel Engines”, FEV Diesel Powertrains 3.0 Conference, Leipzig, June 14-15, 2016.
- Moergastel, B. v., “Requirements and Potential of 48 Volt ISG Technology for Passenger Car Diesel Vehicles under RDE Conditions”, FEV Diesel Powertrains 3.0 Conference, Leipzig, June 14-15, 2016.
- Methe, H., Bunar, F., Scholz, R., et.al., “The Impact of MinNOx on Powertrain Development”, 6th MinNOx Conference, Berlin, 22rd June 2016
- Salvi, A., “The Opposed-piston engine: the next step in vehicle efficiency”, presented at the SAE 2017 Light Duty Emissions Control Symposium, Washington DC, Jan 2017.
- Warey, A., Gopalakrishnan, V., Potter, M., Mattarelli, E. et al., "An Analytical Assessment of the CO2 Emissions Benefit of Two-Stroke Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0659, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0659.
- Gravel, R., “SuperTruck II: Making Trucks Greater Again”, presentation at SAE Government and Industry Meeting, Washington, DC, January 25, 2017.
- Gibble, J., Amar, P., “SuperTruck Powertrain Technologies for Efficiency Improvement”, presentation ACE060 at DOE 2016 Annual Merit Review, Washington, DC, June 10, 2016.
- Okamoto, T. and Uchida, N., "New Concept for Overcoming the Trade-Off between Thermal Efficiency, Each Loss and Exhaust Emissions in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):859-867, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0729.
- Uchida, N., Okamoto, T., “New Diesel Combustion Control Concept Aiming at Higher Thermal Efficiency with Multiple Injectors”, presentation at SAE High Efficiency Engine Symposium, April 2016, Detroit.
- Dahodwala, M., Joshi, S., Krishnamoorthy, H., Koehler, E. et al., "Evaluation of System Configurations for Downsizing a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine for Non-Road Applications," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(4):2272-2285, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-8058.
- Sharma, A. and Redon, F., "Multi-Cylinder Opposed-Piston Engine Results on Transient Test Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1019, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1019.
- Kruse, P-I, “Next-Generation Natural Gas Engine Technologies”, 12th Integer Emissions Summit and AdBlue Forum, Brussels, June 2016. Also: www.westport.com/is/natural-gas/ghg-benefits-for-ngvs
- Tate, I., “Opportunities for Alternative Solutions in the Off-Highway Market”, 9th Integer Emissions Summit & DEF Forum, 26 October 2016, Chicago.
- Montgomery, D. T., “Natural Gas in the Off-Highway Sector”, 9th Integer Emissions Summit & DEF Forum, 26 October 2016, Chicago.
- Thiruvengadam, A., “Alternative Fuels in Vehicles: a Look at Regulated Emissions”, 9th Integer Emissions Summit & DEF Forum, 26 October 2016, Chicago.
- Roberts, C., “Overview of ARB Low NOx Demonstration Program and Other SwRI Activities Toward Next-Level NOx Reduction”, 9th Integer Emissions Summit & DEF Forum, 26 October 2016, Chicago.
- Lehmann, M., “Electrified Heavy Duty Road Transport”, 12th Integer Emissions Summit and AdBlue Forum, Brussels, June 2016.
- Ryu, T, Ahn, N. H., Seo, S., Cho, J., et al., “Fully Copper-Exchanged High-Silica LTA Zeolites as Unrivaled Hydrothermally Stable NH3-SCR Catalysts”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 1 - 6, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201610547.
- Jacques, J., Pauly, T., Zammit, M., Ahari, H. et al., "Robust SCR Design Against Environmental Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0954, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0954.
- Tang, W., Chen, B., Hallstrom, K., and Wille, A., "Aftertreatment Pathways to Meet China HDD Emissions Regulations," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):739-749, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0687.
- Demuynck, J., Favre, C., Bosteels, D., “Euro 6 Vehicles’ RDE-PEMS Data Analysis with EMROAD and CLEAR”, presentation at 6th International MinNOx Conference Berlin, 22-23 June 2016
- Mihai, O., Tamma, S., Stenfeldt, M., and Olsson, L., “Effect of Soot on the SCR Reactions in an Integrated SCR Coated DPF”, presentation at CLEERS 2016 conference, Ann Arbor, MI, April 2016. See also Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2015, 54, 11779í11791. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.5b02392
- Li, J., Currier, N., Yezerets, A., Chen, H. et al., "Impact of Rh Oxidation State on NOx Reduction Performance of Multi-Component Lean NOx Trap (LNT) Catalyst," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1615-1622, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0947.
- Bisaiji, Y., Yoshida, K., Inoue, M., Umemoto, K. et al., "Development of Di-Air - A New Diesel deNOx System by Adsorbed Intermediate Reductants," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(1):380-388, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2089.
- Reihani, A., Corson, B., Hoard, J., Fisher, G. et al., "Rapidly Pulsed Reductants in Diesel NOx Reduction by Lean NOx Traps: Effects of Mixing Uniformity and Reductant Type," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1630-1641, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0956.
- Chen, H.-Y., “Zeolite Supported Pd Catalysts for Low Temperature NOx and HC storage”, presentation at CLEERS 2016 conference, Ann Arbor, MI, April 2016.
- Zha, Y., Cunningham, M., Gao, F., Hess, H., et. al, “Sustained Low Temperature NOx Reduction for High-Efficiency Diesel Engines”, presentation at 6th International MinNOx Conference, Berlin, June 2016.
- Gao, F., Zheng, Y., Currier, N., Castagnola, M., “Enhanced High and Low Temperature Performance of NOx Reduction Materials”, presentation ACE026 at DOE Annual Merit Review, Washington, DC, June 2016.
- Clark, D. and Pauly, T., "An Approach to Controlling N2O Emission on HDD On-Road Applications," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1623-1629, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0948.
- Geißelmann, A., Scheuer, A., Müller-Haas, K., and Holz, O., Exhaust Systems and Catalysts for Low Temperature DeNOx Requirements”, SAE HD Emissions Symposium, Gothenburg, September 2016.
- Chatterjee, S., Naseri, M., and Li, J., "Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Emission Control to Meet BS VI Regulations," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0125, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0125.
- Hallstrom, K. and Shah, S., "Emission Control Options and Optimization for BSVI Heavy Duty Diesel Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0120, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0120.
- Kumar, A., Li, J., Luo, J., Joshi, S. et al., "Catalyst Sulfur Poisoning and Recovery Behaviors: Key for Designing Advanced Emission Control Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0133, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0133.
- Kumar, A., Smith, M. A., Kamasamudrama, K., Currier, N. W., Yezerets, A., “Chemical deSOx: An Effective Way to Recover Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalysts from Sulfur Poisoning”, Catalysis Today 267 (2016) 10-16
- Kai, R., Asako, T., Toyoshima, T., Vogt, C. et al., "High-Porosity Cordierite Honeycomb Substrate Design Parameter Study in Combination with Vanadia SCR," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0949, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0949.
- Henry, M., “The Unique Challenge of India BS-VI and Associated Considerations for Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems”, presentation at SAE HD Emissions Symposium, Gothenburg, September 2016.
- Schrangl, P., Schmied, R., Stadlbauer, S., Waschl, H. et al., "Analysis and Choice of Input Candidates for a Virtual NOx Sensor by a Mutual Information Approach," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1642-1650, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0957.
- Robinson, M., Backhaus, J., Foley, R., and Liu, Z., "The Effect of Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing on Tailpipe Particle Number Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0995, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0995.
- Heibel, A., “Diesel Particulate Filter and Substrate Technology for Cost Effective and Robust Proconve P-8 Solutions”, presentation at 13th Forum SAE Brasil de Tecnologia de Motores Diesel, August 2016.
- Johannesen, L., “Future Proof Vanadium SCR Systems”, presentation at 12th Integer Emissions Summit and AdBlue Forum, Brussels, June 2016.
- Walker, A., “Catalyst-Based Emission Control Solutions for the Global HDD Market - What Does the Future Hold”, presentation at SAE HD Emissions Symposium, Gothenburg, September 2016.
- Cumaranatunge, L., “A Study of the Soot Burning Efficiency of an SCRF® Catalyst vs a CSF During Active Regeneration Events”, presentation at CLEERS 2016, Ann Arbor, April 2016.
- Ito, T. and Nagata, M., "New Concept of Fuel Combustion DOC," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2213, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2213.
- Toops, T., Kyriakidou, E., Binder, A, Choi, J.-S., Parks, J., “Minimizing Low Temperature Emissions Through Advances in Metal Oxide Catalysts, Supports And Traps”, presentation at CLEERS Workshop, Ann Arbor, April 6, 2016
- Osman, A. I., Abu-Dahrieh, J. K., Laffir, F., Curtin, T., “A Bimetallic Catalyst on a Dual Component Support for Low Temperature Total Methane Oxidation”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 187 (2016) 408-418, dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2016.01.017
- Kim, J., Kim, E., Han, J., and Han, H., “Pt/Pd Bimetallic Catalyst with Improved Activity and Durability for Lean-Burn CNG Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6(3):651-656, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2591.
- Karavalakis, G., “Fuel and After-Treatment Effects on Particulate and Toxic Emissions from GDI and PFI Vehicles: A Summary of CE-CERT’s Research”, presented at the HEI Workshop, Dec. 2016
- Yinhui, W., Rong, Z., Yanhong, Q., Jianfei, P., et al, "The Impact of Fuel Compositions on the Particulate Emissions of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine." Fuel 166 (2016): 543 - 552.
- Chan, T. W., Saffaripour, M., Liu, F., Hendren, J., et al., "Characterization of Real-Time Particle Emissions from a Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle Equipped with a Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter During Filter Regeneration." Emiss. Control Sci. Technol. 2 (2016): 75-88.
- Wen, Y., Wang, Y., Fu, C., Deng, W. et al., "The Impact of Injector Deposits on Spray and Particulate Emission of dvanced Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2284, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2284.
- Guinther, G. and Smith, S., "Formation of Intake Valve Deposits in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9(3):558-566, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2252.
- Prakash, A., Aradi, A., Nelson, E., Macias, J., Jones, A., “Particulate Mass Reduction and Clean-Up of DISI Injector Deposits via Fuels Additive Technology”, presented at the SAE 2017 Light Duty Emissions Control Symposium, Washington DC, Jan 2017.
- Golzari, R., Li, Y., and Zhao, H., "Impact of Port Fuel Injection and In-Cylinder Fuel Injection Strategies on Gasoline Engine Emissions and Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2174, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2174.
- Badshah, H., Kittelson, D., and Northrop, W., "Particle Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles during Cold-Cold Start," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1775-1785, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0997.
- Zimmerman, N., Wang, J. M., Jeong, C-H, Ramos, M., et. al, “Field Measurements of Gasoline Direct Injection Emission Factors: Spatial and Seasonal Variability”, Environ. Sci. Technol., DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b04444 (2016)
- Muñoz Fernandez, M., Heeb, N., “PAH and Nitro-PAH Emissions from GDI Vehicles”, presentation at 19th ETH-Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles June 28th -July 1st, 2015, Zurich
- Karavalakis, G., Short, D., Vu, D., Yanf, J., Durbin, T., "Monoaromatic and Polycyclical Aromatic Emissions from GDI and PFI Vehicles on Ethanol and Iso-butanol Blends", presentation at the SAE Powertrain, Fuels, and Lubes Conference, Baltimore, October 2016
- Lambert, C., Bumbaroska, M., Dobson, D., Hangas, J. et al., "Analysis of High Mileage Gasoline Exhaust Particle Filters," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1296-1304, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0941.
- Craig, A., Warkins, J., Aravelli, K., Moser, D. et al., "Low Cost LEV-III, Tier-III Emission Solutions with Particulate Control using Advanced Catalysts and Substrates," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1276-1288, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0925.
- Lambert, C., “Gasoline Particle Filter Development”, presented at CLEERS, 2016.
- Custer, N., Kamp, C., Sappok, A., Pakko, J. et al., "Lubricant-Derived Ash Impact on Gasoline Particulate Filter Performance," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1604-1614, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0942.
- Seong, H., et al. “Soot oxidation impacted by engine oil-derived ash from a gasoline direct injection engine”, presented at CLEERS workshop, April 2016.
- Shao, H., Lam, W., Remias, J., Roos, J. et al., "Effect of Lubricant Oil Properties on the Performance of Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF)," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9(3):650-658, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2287.
- “Umicore Update”, presentation at 16th Hyundai Kia International Powertrain Conference, Namyang, Korea, 2016.
- Rose, D., Boger, T., Coulet, B., Nicolin, P., Kunath, F., “GPF Field and Durability Testing - Results from Vehicle and Engine-Bench”, presentation at 16th Hyundai Kia International Powertrain Conference, Namyang, Korea, 2016.
- Boger, T., Rose, D., Nicolin, P., Gunasekaran, N., Glasson, T., "Oxidation of Soot (Printex U) in Particulate Filters Operated on Gasoline Engines." Emiss. Control Sci. Technol. 1 (2015): 49-63.
- Storey, J., et al., “Characterization of GDI PM During Start-Stop Operation with Alcohol Fuel Blends”, presented at the Health Effects Institute Workshop, Chicago, Dec 8th 2016.
- Zinola, S., Raux, S., and Leblanc, M., "Persistent Particle Number Emissions Sources at the Tailpipe of Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2283, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2283. 2016
- Hashimoto, M., Nakanishi, Y., Koyama, H., Inose, S. et al., "Development of Low Temperature Active Material for Three Way Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0932, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0932.
- Hanaki, Y., Fujimoto, M., and Itou, J., "Alternative Technology for Platinum Group Metals in Automobile Exhaust Gas Catalysts," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0930, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0930.
- Golden, S., Nazarpoor, Z., and Liu, R., "TWC Using Advanced Spinel Materials and Prospects for BSVI Compliance," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0126, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0126.
- Ball, D., Moser, D., “Impact of LEV-III and Tier-III Emission Regulations”, Presented at the SAE 2017 Light Duty Emissions Control Symposium, Washington DC, Jan 2017.
- Parks, J., Storey, J., Prikhodko, V., Debusk, M. et al., "Filter-based control of particulate matter from a lean gasoline direct injection engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0937, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0937.
- Nakayama, H., Kanno, Y., Nagata, M., and Zheng, X., "Development of TWC and PGM Free Catalyst Combination as Gasoline Exhaust Aftertreatment," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(4):2194-2200, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2323.
- Prikhodko, V., Parks, J., Pihl, J., and Toops, T., "Ammonia Generation and Utilization in a Passive SCR (TWC+SCR) System on Lean Gasoline Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1289-1295, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0934.
- Parks, J., Toops, T., Pihl, J., and Prikhodko, V., “Emissions control for Lean Gasoline Engines”, presented at DOE Annual Merit Review, Washington DC, June 2016.