This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a High-Pressure Outwardly Opening Hollow Cone Spray Injector for Automotive Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the aim of reducing CO2 emissions and fuel consumption, the improvement of the diesel engine performance is based on the optimization of the whole combustion system efficiency.
The focus of new technological solutions is devoted to the optimization of thermodynamic efficiency especially in terms of reduction of losses of heat exchange.
In this context, it is required a continuous development of the engine combustion system, first of all the injection system and in particular the nozzle design. To this reason in the present paper a new concept of an open nozzle spray was investigated as a possible solution for application on diesel engines. The study concerns some experimental and numerical activities on a prototype of an open nozzle.
An external supplier provided the prototypal version of the injector, with a dedicated piezoelectric actuation system, and with an appropriate choice of geometrical design parameters. The characteristics of nozzle open spray concept (in terms of spray penetration and diffusion) were evaluated in a constant volume combustion bomb and validated by numerical simulations with the OpenFOAM libraries in the lib-ICE version of the code.
The considered injector configuration is proved to be a promising solution for the realization of a high-pressure diesel cone spray. It was assessed that spray atomization and penetration are sensible to the injection control parameters, in particular to the injection pressure level, and to the HV (stationary level of the voltage command at the actuator). This could mean, in a certain sense, the possibility to graduate injection control parameters in order to assure an appropriate control of spray penetration and atomization levels in a dedicated engine combustion chamber.
The numerical results show that the adopted setup of spray sub-models, well assessed in previous work in capturing the whole spray behavior for high pressure MHN injectors, indicates a quite good prevision of the radial tip penetration (TP) but a sensible overestimation of axial TP over all the injection event. CFD simulation describes a rapid breakup process immediately after the fuel discharge providing a finely atomized spray along the whole circumference.
CitationBeatrice, C., Migliaccio, M., Montanaro, A., Fraioli, V. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a High-Pressure Outwardly Opening Hollow Cone Spray Injector for Automotive Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0840, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0840.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Johnson , J. , Naber , J. , Lee , S. , Hunter , G. et al. Correlations of Non-Vaporizing Spray Penetration for 3000 Bar Diesel Spray Injection SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0033 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0033
- Palanisamy , M. , Lorch , J. , Truemner , R. , and Baldwin , B. Combustion Characteristics of a 3000 Bar Diesel Fuel System on a Single Cylinder Research Engine SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 8 2 479 490 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2798
- Whitehouse , N.D. Effect of Compression and Expansion on Instantaneous Heat Transfer in Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy August 1 1987 201 175 186
- Fridriksson , H. , Tuner , M. , Andersson , O. , Sunden , B. et al. Effect of Piston Bowl Shape and Swirl Ratio on Engine Heat Transfer in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1141 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1141
- Ciatti , S. , Subramanian , SN. An experimental investigation of low-octane gasoline in diesel engines J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 2011 133 092802
- Sellnau , M. , Foster , M. , Hoyer , K. , Moore , W. et al. Development of a Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 835 851 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1300
- Dempsey , A.B. , Curran , S.J. , Wagner , R.M. A perspective on the range of gasoline compression ignition combustion strategies for high engine efficiency and low NOx and soot emissions: Effects of in-cylinder fuel stratification International Journal of Engine Research 2016 10.1177/1468087415621805
- Nouri , J.M. , Hamid , M.A. , Yan , Y. , Arcoumanis , A. Spray characterization of a piezo pintle-type injector for gasoline direct injection engines 2007 Publishing Ltd, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 85 85
- Montanaro , A. and Allocca , L. Impact of the Nozzle Coking on Spray Formation for Diesel Injectors SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2546 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2546
- R. Bosch , GmbH 1999 Diesel-Engine Management, Bosch Technical Books 978-0470026892
- Bosch , W. The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument For Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection SAE Technical Paper 660749 1966 10.4271/660749
- Schmid , A. Dissertation Thesis ETH No.20852 Experimental characterization of the two-phase flow of a modern, piezo-activated hollow cone injector https://researchgate.net/publication/259900122
- Faeth , G.M. , Hsiang , L.-P. et al. 1995 Structure and breakup properties of sprays Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21
- Pilch , M. , and Erdman , C.A. 1987 Use of breakup time and velocity history data to predict the maximum size of stable fragments for acceleration-induced breakup of liquid drop Int. J. Multiphase Flow 13
- OpenFOAM® web site The Open-source CFD toolbox http://www.openfoam.org OpenCFD Limited 2007
- Lucchini , T. , D’Errico , G. , Ettorre , D. , and Ferrari , G. Numerical Investigation of Non-Reacting and Reacting Diesel Sprays in Constant-Volume Vessels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 966 975 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1971
- Lucchini , T. , Fiocco , M. , Onorati , A. , Montanaro , A. et al. Full-Cycle CFD Modeling of Air/Fuel Mixing Process in an Optically Accessible GDI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1610 1625 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0024
- Dukovitz , J.K. A Particle-Fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays Journal of Computational Physics 35 229 235 1980
- Bracco , F. Modeling of Engine Sprays SAE Technical Paper 850394 1985 10.4271/850394
- Sim , J. , Badra , J. , Elwardany , A. , and Im , H. Spray Modeling for Outwardly-Opening Hollow-Cone Injector SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0844 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0844
- Dong , Q. , Ishima , T. , Kawashima , H. , and Long , W. A study of the spray characteristics of a piezo pintle-type injector for DI gasoline engines Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 27 7 2013 1981 1993
- Obokata , T. , Long , W. , and Ishima , T. PDA and LDA Measurements of Large Angle Hollow Cone Spray Proposed for Hot-Premixed Combustion Type Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 960772 1996 10.4271/960772
- Reitz R.D. Modeling Atomization Processes In High Pressure Vaporizing Sprays Atomization and Spray Technology 3 309 337 1987
- O’Rourke , P.J. 1989 Statistical Properties and Numerical Implementation of a Model for Droplet Dispersion in a Turbulent Gas Journal of Computational Physics 83 345 360
- Migliaccio , M. , Ettorre , D. , Aprovitola , A. , and Alfuso , S. Effects of Turbulence Modulation Addition in OpenFOAM® Toolkit on High Pressure Fuel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0820 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0820
- Sudhakar , D. and VanBrocklin , P.G. Effect of Design and Operating Parameters on the Spray Characteristics of an Outward Opening Injector Thirteenth International Multidimensional Engine Modeling User’s Group Meeting March 2, 2003 Detroit, MI
- Jia , M. , Xie , M. , Liu , H. , Lam , W.H. , Wang , T. Numerical simulation of cavitation in the conical-spray nozzle for diesel premixed charge compression ignition engines Fuel 90 2011 2652 2661