This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology for the Estimation of Hole-to-Hole Injected Mass Based on Spray Momentum Flux Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the present paper, a new methodology for the estimation of the mass delivered by a single hole of a GDI injector is presented and discussed. The GDI injector used for the activity featured a five-hole nozzle characterized by three holes with the same diameter and two holes with a larger diameter. The different holes size guarantees a significant difference in terms of mass flow. This new methodology is based on global momentum flux measurement of each single plume and on its combination with the global mass measurement made with the gravimetric principle. The momentum flux is measured by means of a dedicated test bench that detects the impact force of the single spray plume at different distances. The sensing device is moved in different positions and, in each point, the force trace averaged over several injection events is acquired. The global mass delivered by the injector is measured by collecting and weighing the fuel flown during a defined number of consecutive injections. By the combination of these two measurements, the estimation of the single hole mass is proposed. The method is validated by means of a dedicated device that is able to collect the mass of the single hole. The method is applied in several operating conditions in terms of injection pressure and actuation time, obtaining encouraging results in terms of hole-to-hole injected mass evaluation capability.
CitationMariani, A., Cavicchi, A., Postrioti, L., and Ungaro, C., "A Methodology for the Estimation of Hole-to-Hole Injected Mass Based on Spray Momentum Flux Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0823, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0823.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Fraser, N., Blaxill, H., Lumsden, G., and Bassett, M., "Challenges for Increased Efficiency through Gasoline Engine Downsizing," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):991-1008, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1053.
- Schmidt, L., Seabrook, J., Stokes, J., Ahmad Zuhdi, M. et al., "Multiple Injection Strategies for Improved Combustion Stability under Stratified Part Load Conditions in a Spray Guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1228, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1228.
- Smith, J., Szekely, G. Jr, Solomon, A., and Parrish, S., "A Comparison of Spray-Guided Stratified-Charge Combustion Performance with Outwardly-Opening Piezo and Multi-Hole Solenoid Injectors," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):1481-1497, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1217.
- Schwarz, C., Schünemann, E., Durst, B., Fischer, J. et al., "Potentials of the Spray-Guided BMW DI Combustion System," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1265, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1265.
- Tanaka, M., Mizobuchi, T., Yamamoto, N., and Shigenaga, M., "Development of Multi-hole Nozzle Injector for Spray-guided DISI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1888, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1888.
- Arcoumanis, C. and Baniasad, M., "Analysis of Consecutive Fuel Injection Rate Signals Obtained by the Zeuch and Bosch Methods," SAE Technical Paper 930921, 1993, doi:10.4271/930921.
- Postrioti, L., Mariani, F., Battistoni, M., and Mariani, A., "Experimental and Numerical Evaluation of Diesel Spray Momentum Flux," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):287-299, 2010, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2772.
- Postrioti, L., Battistoni, M., Ungaro, C., and Mariani, A., "Analysis of Diesel Spray Momentum Flux Spatial Distribution," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):720-736, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0682.
- Postrioti, L., Bosi, M., Mariani, A., and Ungaro, C., "Momentum Flux Spatial Distribution and PDA Analysis of a GDI Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0459, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0459.
- Postrioti, L., Bosi, M., Cavicchi, A., AbuZahra, F. et al., "Momentum Flux Measurement on Single-Hole GDI Injector under Flash-Boiling Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2480, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2480.
- Rajaratnam N. Turbulent jets. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 1974.
- Desantes, J., Payri, R., Salvador, F., and Gimeno, J., "Measurements of Spray Momentum for the Study of Cavitation in Diesel Injection Nozzles," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0703, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0703.
- Desantes, J., Payri, R., Salvador, F., and Gimeno, J., "Prediction of Spray Penetration by Means of Spray Momentum Flux," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1387, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1387.
- Ungaro C., Marassi L., “Nuovo Sistema di misura della portata istantanea di iniettori”, ATA - Ingegneria dell’autoveicolo, vol 61, 2008