This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Anti-Knock Quality of Dicyclopentadiene-Gasoline Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Increasing the anti-knock quality of gasoline fuels can enable higher efficiency in spark ignition engines. In this study, the blending anti-knock quality of dicyclopentadiene (DCPD), a by-product of ethylene production from naphtha cracking, with various gasoline fuels is explored. The blends were tested in an ignition quality tester (IQT) and a modified cooperative fuel research (CFR) engine operating under homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) and knock limited spark advance (KLSA) conditions. Due to current fuel regulations, ethanol is widely used as a gasoline blending component in many markets. In addition, ethanol is widely used as a fuel and literature verifying its performance. Moreover, because ethanol exhibits synergistic effects, the test results of DCPD-gasoline blends were compared to those of ethanol-gasoline blends. The experiments conducted in this work enabled the screening of DCPD auto-ignition characteristics across a range of combustion modes. The synergistic blending nature of DCPD was apparent and appeared to be greater than that of ethanol. The data presented suggests that DCPD has the potential to be a high octane blending component in gasoline; one which can substitute alkylates, isomerates, reformates, and oxygenates.
- Mohannad Al-Khodaier - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Vijai Shankar Bhavani Shankar - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Muhammad Waqas - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Nimal Naser - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Mani Sarathy - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Bengt Johansson - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
CitationAl-Khodaier, M., Bhavani Shankar, V., Waqas, M., Naser, N. et al., "Evaluation of Anti-Knock Quality of Dicyclopentadiene-Gasoline Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0804, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0804.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
- ExxonMobil., "The outlook for energy: A view to 2040," 2016.
- Kalghatgi, G., "Fuel Anti-Knock Quality - Part I. Engine Studies," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3584, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3584.
- Kalghatgi, GT., "The outlook for fuels for internal combustion engines," Int J Engine Res 15:383-98, 2014, doi:10.1177/1468087414526189.
- Mata TM., Smith RL., Young DM. et al., "Life Cycle Assessment of Gasoline Blending Options," Environ Sci Technol 37:3724-32, 2003 doi:10.1021/es034024s.
- McCormick, RL., Ratcliff, M., Christensen, E. et al., "Properties of Oxygenates Found in Upgraded Biomass Pyrolysis Oil as Components of Spark and Compression Ignition Engine Fuels," Energy & Fuels 29:2453-61, 2015, doi:10.1021/ef502893g.
- Tian, M., Van Haaren, R., Reijnders, J., and Boot, M., "Lignin Derivatives as Potential Octane Boosters," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(2):415-422, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0963.
- Shankar, VSB., Al-Abbad, M., El-Rachidi, M. et al., "Antiknock quality and ignition kinetics of 2-phenylethanol, a novel lignocellulosic octane booster," Proc Combust Inst 2016;0:1-8, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2016.05.041.
- Handwerk, G., Gary, J., "Petroleum Refining," vol. 29. CRC Press, 2001. doi:10.1201/9780824745172.
- "Knocking Characteristics of Pure Hydrocarbons," vol. 40. ASTM International, 1958, doi:10.1520/STP225-EB.
- Anderson, JE., DiCicco, DM., Ginder, JM. et al., "High octane number ethanol-gasoline blends: Quantifying the potential benefits in the United States," Fuel 2012;97:585-94. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2012.03.017.
- Foong, TM., Morganti, KJ., Brear, MJ. et al., "The octane numbers of ethanol blended with gasoline and its surrogates," Fuel 2014;115:727-39. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.07.105.
- Celik, MB., "Experimental determination of suitable ethanol-gasoline blend rate at high compression ratio for gasoline engine," Appl Therm Eng 2008;28:396-404. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2007.10.028.
- Bromberg, L., Cohn, D., Heywood, JB., "Culculations Of Knock Suppression in Highly Turbocharged Gasoline/Ethanol Engines Using Direct Ethanol Injection," J Artic Ser, 2006.
- Topgül, T., Yücesu, HS., Çinar, C. et al., "The effects of ethanol-unleaded gasoline blends and ignition timing on engine performance and exhaust emissions," Renew Energy 2006;31:2534-42. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2006.01.004.
- Cheung, TTP., "Cyclopentadiene and dicyclopentadiene," Encycl Polym Sci Technol Vol 5 2001;5:759-76. doi:10.1002/0471238961.0325031211050514.a01.pub2..
- Richter, H., Benish, TG., Mazyar, OA. et al., "Formation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and their radicals in a nearly sooting premixed benzene flame," Proc Combust Inst 2000;28:2609-18. doi:10.1016/S0082-0784(00)80679-7.
- Robinson, RK., Lindstedt, RP., "On the chemical kinetics of cyclopentadiene oxidation," Combust Flame 2011;158:666-86. doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.12.001.
- Cannella, W., Foster, M., Gunter, G. et al., "Face Gasolines and Blends With Ethanol: Detailed Characterization of Physical and Chemical Properties," 2014.
- ASTM International. ASTM D6890-16 "Standard Test Method for Determination of Ignition Delay and Derived Cetane Number (DCN) of Diesel Fuel Oils by Combustion in a Constant Volume Chamber," West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM International, 2016. doi: https://doi.org/10.1520/D6890-16.
- Bogin, G., Dean, A., Ratcliff, M., Luecke, J. et al., "Expanding the Experimental Capabilities of the Ignition Quality Tester for Autoigniting Fuels," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(1):353-367, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0741.
- Naser, N., Yang, SY., Kalghatgi, G. et al., "Relating the octane numbers of fuels to ignition delay times measured in an ignition quality tester (IQT)," Fuel 2017;187:117-27. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2016.09.013.
- Yang, S., Naser, N., Chung, S., and Cha, J., "Effect of Temperature, Pressure and Equivalence Ratio on Ignition Delay in Ignition Quality Tester (IQT): Diesel, n-Heptane, and iso-Octane Fuels under Low Temperature Conditions," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(3):537-548, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-9074.
- Truedsson, I., Cannella, W., Johansson, B., and Tuner, M., "Development of New Test Method for Evaluating HCCI Fuel Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2667, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2667.
- ASTM International. ASTM D2699-15a "Standard Test Method for Research Octane Number of Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel," West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM International, 2015. doi: https://doi.org/10.1520/D2699-15A.
- ASTM International. ASTM D2700-16 "Standard Test Method for Motor Octane Number of Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel," West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM International, 2016. doi: https://doi.org/10.1520/D2700-16.
- Bhavani Shankar, V., Sajid, M., Al-Qurashi, K., Atef, N. et al., "Primary Reference Fuels (PRFs) as Surrogates for Low Sensitivity Gasoline Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0748, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0748.
- Waqas, M., Naser, N., Sarathy, M., Morganti, K. et al., "Blending Octane Number of Ethanol in HCCI, SI and CI Combustion Modes," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9(3):659-682, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2298.
- Brunt, M., Pond, C., and Biundo, J., "Gasoline Engine Knock Analysis using Cylinder Pressure Data," SAE Technical Paper 980896, 1998, doi:10.4271/980896.
- Mejía, A., Segura, H., Cartes, M., "Vapor-Liquid Equilibria and Interfacial Tensions of the System Ethanol + 2-Methoxy-2-methylpropane," J Chem Eng Data 2010;55:428-34. doi:10.1021/je9004068.
- DCPD(77-73-6). Chem B n.d. http://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductMSDSDetailCB3854309_EN.htm, accessed September 27, 2016.
- Leppard, W., "The Chemical Origin of Fuel Octane Sensitivity," SAE Technical Paper 902137, 1990, doi:10.4271/902137.
- Dec, J., "A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging*," SAE Technical Paper 970873, 1997, doi:10.4271/970873.
- Zhukov, VP., Sechenov, VA., Starikovskiy, AY., "Autoignition of kerosene (Jet-A)/air mixtures behind reflected shock waves," Fuel 2014;126:169-76. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2014.02.036.
- Osecky, EM., Bogin, GE., Villano, SM. et al., "Investigation of Iso-octane Ignition and Validation of a Multizone Modeling Method in an Ignition Quality Tester," Energy & Fuels 2016:acs.energyfuels.6b01406. doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01406.
- Maurya, RK., Agarwal, AK., "Investigations on the effect of measurement errors on estimated combustion and performance parameters in HCCI combustion engine," Measurement 2013;46:80-8. doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2012.05.021.
- Mao, Z., McIntosh, MJ., Demirgian, JC., "Incineration of toluene and chlorobenzene in a laboratory incinerator," Argonne Natl Lab. 1992;No. ANL/CP.
- Dagaut, P., Pengloan, G., Ristori, A., "Oxidation, ignition and combustion of toluene: Experimental and detailed chemical kinetic modeling," Phys Chem Chem Phys 2002;4:1846-54. doi:10.1039/b110282f.