This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of a Combustion Chamber Optimization on the Mixture Formation and Combustion in a CNG-DI Engine in Stratified Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A previous study by the authors has shown an efficiency benefit of up to Δηi = 10 % for stratified operation of a high pressure natural gas direct injection (DI) spark ignition (SI) engine compared to the homogeneous stoichiometric operation with port fuel injection (PFI). While best efficiencies appeared at extremely lean operation at λ = 3.2, minimum HC emissions were found at λ = 2. The increasing HC emissions and narrow ignition time frames in the extremely lean stratified operation have given the need for a detailed analysis. To further investigate the mixture formation and flame propagation und these conditions, an optically accessible single-cylinder engine was used. The mixture formation and the flame luminosity have been investigated in two perpendicular planes inside the combustion chamber. By quantifying the equivalence ratio using the laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) technique a correlation between the presence of an ignitable mixture at the spark plug and the indicated start of combustion (SOC) was shown . Through the investigation of the flame luminosity, the main reason for incomplete combustion and the according emissions was revealed. With this cause-and-effect comprehension, the combustion chamber has been modified to enforce an improved charge stratification. A geometric modification of the piston head ensures deflecting the ignitable mixture to the spark plug and prevents the injection from reaching the inner cylinder wall and crevices. Optical investigations were used to develop a design that improves mixture formation.
CitationFriedrich, W., Grzeszik, R., Lauschke, P., Zelenov, V. et al., "The Impact of a Combustion Chamber Optimization on the Mixture Formation and Combustion in a CNG-DI Engine in Stratified Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0779, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0779.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Friedrich, W., Grzeszik, R., and Wensing, M., "Mixture Formation in a CNG-DI Engine in Stratified Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2474, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2474.
- “Energy Technology Perspectives 2016 - Towards Sustainable Urban Energy Systems,” International Energy Agency, 2016.
- Thipse, S., Sonawane, S., D'Souza, A., Rairikar, S. et al., "Injection Strategies, Optimization and Simulation Techniques on DI CNG Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0046, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0046.
- Friedrich, W., Grzeszik, R., and Wensing, M., ” Optische Diag-nostik für die Analyse des Schichtbetriebs bei der Gasdirektein-blasung,” FKFS Tagung Gasfahrzeuge 2015 - Alternative mit Zukunft.
- Ratzke, A., “Modellierung der Flammenausbreitung und des Flammenlöschens im Gasmotor,” 2013.
- Salazar, V. and Kaiser, S., "An Optical Study of Mixture Preparation in a Hydrogen-fueled Engine with Direct Injection Using Different Nozzle Designs," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):119-131, 2010, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2682.
- Bruneaux, G., Causse, M., and Omrane, A., "Air Entrainment in Diesel-Like Gas Jet by Simultaneous Flow Velocity and Fuel Concentration Measurements, Comparison of Free and Wall Impinging Jet Configurations," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):76-93, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1828.
- Schulz, F., Schmidt, J., Kufferath, A., and Samenfink, W., "Gasoline Wall Films and Spray/Wall Interaction Analyzed by Infrared Thermography," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(3):1165-1177, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1446.
- Settles, G. S., “Schlieren and Shadowgraph Techniques, Visualizing Phenomena in Transparent Media”, Springer, 2001.
- Johansen, L., de Benito Sienes, E., and Dahlander, P., "Analysis of Transient Compressible Gas Jets Using High Speed Schlieren Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0871, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0871.
- Hajialimohammadi, A., Honnery, D., Abdullah, A., Mirsalim, M.A., “Time resolved characteristics of gaseous jet injected by a group-hole nozzle,” Fuel, Volume 113, November 2013, Pages 497-505, ISSN 0016-2361, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.05.050.
- Eckbreth, A. C., “Laser Diagnostics for Combustion Temperature and Species”, Abacus Press, 1988.
- Schulz, C., and Sick, V., “Tracer-LIF diagnostics: quantitative measurement of fuel concentration, temperature and fuel/air ratio in practical combustion systems,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 31(1), 75-121, 2005, doi: 10.1016/j.pecs.2004.08.002.
- Melton, L.A., and Lipp, C.W., “Criteria for Quantitative PLIF Experiments Using High Power-Lasers,” Experiments in Fluids (2003) 35: 310-316.
- Fröba, A., “Fluoreszenzspektroskopische Untersuchungen an organischen Tracersubstanzen in heterogenen Systemen, Diplomarbeit,” Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, 1996.
- Blotevogel, T., Egermann, J., Goldlücke, J., Leipertz, A. et al., "Developing Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence for the Investigation of the Mixture Formation Process in Hydrogen Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1408, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1408.
- Mederer, T., Wensing, M., and Leipertz, A., ”Laser-Induced Fluorescence to Visualize Gas Mixture Formation in an Optically Accessible Hydrogen Engine,” COMODIA 2012, Fukuoka.
- Rist, D., “Dynamik realer Gase,” Springer, 1996.
- Faghani, E., and Rogak, S.N., ”Application of CFD and Phenomenological Models in Studying Interaction of Two Turbulent Plane Jets,” IJMEM, Volume 1 (2), 2012, doi: 10.11159/ijmem.2012.005.
- Weber, D., and Leick, P., “Structure and Velocity Field of Individual Plumes of Flashing Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays,” ILASS 2014, Bremen.
- Lacey, J., Poursadegh, F., Brear, M., Petersen, P. et al., "Optical Characterization of Propane at Representative Spark Ignition, Gasoline Direct Injection Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0842, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0842.
- Flierl, R. et al., “Simultaneous Combustion - Methane-Fuel and Methane-Diesel Mixture Preparations,” MTZ worldwide, October 2011, Volume 72, Issue 10, pp 78-84.