This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Methodology for the Understanding of Soot-Fuel Relationship in Diesel Combustion: Fuel Characterization and Surrogate Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper is a contribution to the understanding of the formation and oxidation of soot in Diesel combustion. An ECN spray A injector (single axial-oriented orifice) was tested in a well characterized high-temperature/high-pressure vessel at engine relevant conditions. The size of the test section (>70mm) enables to study the soot formation process in nearly free field conditions, which constitutes an ideal feature for fundamental understanding and model validation.
Simultaneous high-speed OH* chemiluminescence imaging and high-speed 2D extinction were performed to link together the information regarding flame chemistry (i.e. lift-off length) and the soot data.
The experiments were carried out for a set of fuels with different CN and sooting index (Diesel fuel, Jet fuel, gasoline and n-dodecane) performing parametric variations in the test conditions (ambient temperature and oxygen concentration).
The methodology proposed allowed a qualitative evaluation of the main fuel characteristics affecting soot formation in Diesel combustion identified as Cetane Number (CN) and threshold sooting index (TSI). The experiments enabled the characterization of properties depending on these two features, and therefore a fuel characterization at engine relevant conditions.
For CFD soot modeling purposes, three surrogate fuels were designed to mimic the behavior of the practical fuels tested matching their CN and TSI. The characterization methodology was used to validate/correct the surrogates’ composition in order to correctly reproduce the behavior of the practical fuels.
The fuel characterization methodology, the experimental data gathered as well as the composition of the validated fuel surrogate for soot modeling at typical Diesel conditions are considered three major outcomes of this work.
CitationBardi, M., Bruneaux, G., Nicolle, A., and Colin, O., "Experimental Methodology for the Understanding of Soot-Fuel Relationship in Diesel Combustion: Fuel Characterization and Surrogate Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0721, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0721.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- Meijer , M. , Malbec , L.-M. , Bruneaux , G. , and Somers , L. Engine Combustion Network:‘Spray A’Basic Measurements and Advanced Diagnostics 12th Triennial International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems ICLASS 2012 Heidelberg, Germany 2012
- Skeen , S. A. , Manin , J. , Dalen , K. , and Pickett , L.M. Extinction-based imaging of soot processes over a range of diesel operating conditions 8th US National Combustion Meeting Salt Lake City, Utah 2013
- Siebers , D. and Higgins , B. Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0530 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0530
- Sandia National Labs Engine Combustion Network (ECN) http://www.sandia.gov/ecn/ January 10 2016
- Pickett , L. , Genzale , C. , Bruneaux , G. , Malbec , L. Comparison of Diesel Spray Combustion in Different High-Temperature, High-Pressure Facilities SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 156 181 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2106
- Meijer , M. , Somers , B. , Johnson , J. , Naber , J. Engine Combustion Network (ECN): characterization and comparison of boundary conditions for different combustion vessels Atomization and Sprays 22 9 777 806 2012 10.1615/AtomizSpr.2012006083
- Bardi , M. , Payri , R. , Malbec , L.-M. , Bruneaux , G. Engine Combustion Network: Comparison of Spray Development, Vaporization, and Combustion in Different Combustion Vessels Atomization and Sprays 22 10 807 842 2012 10.1615/AtomizSpr.2013005837
- Kastengren , A.L. , Tilocco , F.Z. , Powell , C.F. , Manin , J. Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Measurements of Nozzle Geometry and Hydraulic Behavior Atomization and Sprays 22 12 1011 1052 2012
- Pickett , L. , Manin , J. , Genzale , C. , Siebers , D. Relationship Between Diesel Fuel Spray Vapor Penetration/ Dispersion and Local Fuel Mixture Fraction SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 764 799 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0686
- Macian , V. , Bermudez , V. , Payri , R. , and Gimeno , J. New technique for determination of internal geometry of a diesel nozzle with the use of silicone methodology Experimental techniques 27 2 39 43 2003
- Baert , R. , Frijters , P. , Somers , B. , Luijten , C. Design and Operation of a High Pressure, High Temperature Cell for HD Diesel Spray Diagnostics: Guidelines and Results SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0649 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0649
- Naber , J. and Siebers , D. Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 960034 1996 10.4271/960034
- Malbec , L. , Egúsquiza , J. , Bruneaux , G. , and Meijer , M. Characterization of a Set of ECN Spray A Injectors: Nozzle to Nozzle Variations and Effect on Spray Characteristics SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1642 1660 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0037
- Nesbitt , J.E. , Johnson , S.E. , Pickett , L.M. , Siebers , D.L. Minor species production from lean premixed combustion and their impact on autoignition of diesel surrogates Energy & Fuels 25 3 926 936 2011
- Payri , R. , García-Oliver , J.M. , Bardi , M. , and Manin , J. Fuel temperature influence on diesel sprays in inert and reacting conditions Applied Thermal Engineering 35 185 195 2012 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.10.027
- Lemaire , R. , Faccinetto , A. , Therssen , E. , Ziskind , M. Experimental comparison of soot formation in turbulent flames of Diesel and surrogate Diesel fuels Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32 1 737 744 2009 10.1016/j.proci.2008.05.019
- Keita , M. , Nicolle , A. , and Bakali , A.E. A wide range kinetic modeling study of PAH formation from liquid transportation fuels combustion Combustion and Flame 174 50 67 2016 10.1016/j.combustflame.2016.09.016
- Bardi , M. , Bruneaux , G. , and Malbec , L. Study of ECN Injectors’ Behavior Repeatability with Focus on Aging Effect and Soot Fluctuations SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0845 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0845
- Dec , J. A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging SAE Technical Paper 970873 1997 10.4271/970873
- Dec , J. and Coy , E. OH Radical Imaging in a DI Diesel Engine and the Structure of the Early Diffusion Flame SAE Technical Paper 960831 1996 10.4271/960831
- Benajes , J. , Payri , R. , Bardi , M. , and Martí-Aldaraví , P. Experimental characterization of diesel ignition and lift-off length using a single-hole injector Applied Thermal Engineering 58 1–2 554 563 2013 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.04.044
- Macian , V. , Payri , R. , Ruiz , S. , Bardi , M. Experimental study of the relationship between injection rate shape and Diesel ignition using a novel piezo-actuated direct-acting injector Applied Energy 118 100 113 2014
- Meijer , M. , Galle , J. , Somers , L. , Griensven , J. High-Speed Characterization of ECN Spray A Using Various Diagnostic Techniques SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1238 1248 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1616
- Gaydon , A. The spectroscopy of flames Springer Science & Business Media 9400957203 2012
- Manin , J. , Bardi , M. , and Pickett , L.M. Evaluation of the liquid length via diffused back-illumination imaging in vaporizing diesel sprays International Symposium COMODIA 2012 SP2-4 2012
- Manin , J. , Pickett , L. , and Skeen , S. Two-Color Diffused Back-Illumination Imaging as a Diagnostic for Time-Resolved Soot Measurements in Reacting Sprays SAE Int. J. Engines 6 4 1908 1921 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2548
- Skeen , S. , Manin , J. , Pickett , L. , Cenker , E. A Progress Review on Soot Experiments and Modeling in the Engine Combustion Network (ECN) SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 883 898 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0734
- Ghandhi , J.B. and Heim , D.M. An optimized optical system for backlit imaging The Review of scientific instruments 80 5 56105 2009 10.1063/1.3128728
- Musculus , M.P.B. and Pickett , L.M. Diagnostic considerations for optical laser-extinction measurements of soot in high-pressure transient combustion environments Combustion and Flame 141 4 371 391 2005 10.1016/j.combustflame.2005.01.013
- Pastor , J.V. , López , J.J. , García , J.M. , and Pastor , J.M. A 1D model for the description of mixing-controlled inert diesel sprays Fuel 87 13–14 2871 2885 2008 10.1016/j.fuel.2008.04.017
- Pickett , L.M. and Siebers , D.L. Soot in diesel fuel jets: effects of ambient temperature, ambient density, and injection pressure Combustion and Flame 138 1–2 114 135 2004 10.1016/j.combustflame.2004.04.006
- Payri , F. , Pastor , J. , Nerva , J. , and Garcia-Oliver , J. Lift-Off Length and KL Extinction Measurements of Biodiesel and Fischer-Tropsch Fuels under Quasi-Steady Diesel Engine Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2278 2297 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0037
- Pickett , L. , Manin , J. , Payri , R. , Bardi , M. Transient Rate of Injection Effects on Spray Development SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0001 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0001
- Siebers , D. Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0528 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0528
- Siebers , D. Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 980809 1998 10.4271/980809
- Manin , J. , Skeen , S. , Pickett , L. , Kurtz , E. Effects of Oxygenated Fuels on Combustion and Soot Formation/Oxidation Processes SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 704 717 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2657
- Kook , S. and Pickett , L. Soot Volume Fraction and Morphology of Conventional, Fischer-Tropsch, Coal-Derived, and Surrogate Fuel at Diesel Conditions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 2 647 664 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0678
- Kobori , S. , Kamimoto , T. , and Aradi , A.A. A study of ignition delay of diesel fuel sprays International Journal of Engine Research 1 1 29 39 2000 10.1243/1468087001545245
- Pickett , L. , Siebers , D. , and Idicheria , C. Relationship Between Ignition Processes and the Lift-Off Length of Diesel Fuel Jets SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3843 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3843
- Cenker , E. , Bruneaux , G. , Pickett , L. , and Schulz , C. Study of Soot Formation and Oxidation in the Engine Combustion Network (ECN), Spray A: Effects of Ambient Temperature and Oxygen Concentration 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0901