This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the Combustion System for Volvo Cars Euro6d VEA Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The demands for a future diesel engine in terms of emission compliance, CO2 emissions, performance and cost effectiveness set new requirements for the development process of the combustion system.
This paper focuses on the development of the next generation Volvo Cars diesel combustion system, which should comply with Euro 6d including Real Driving Emissions (RDE), with emphasis on the novel methods applied throughout the process.
The foundation of a high performing combustion system is formed by first determining the requirements for the system, after which the key factors that affect system performance are selected, such as the charge motion, combustion chamber geometry and injector nozzle geometry.
Based on the requirements, a robust charge motion with desired flow characteristics is defined. A new automated CFD optimization process for combustion chamber geometry and spray target is developed. From the generated Pareto front of optimal designs, the best hardware solutions are selected based on targeted attributes. An increase in knowledge is also gained by looking into the details of the simulation results for these candidates. The selected solutions are then verified by creating rapid prototype pistons for evaluation.
The development of a highly automated test scheme makes it possible to collect large amounts of test data, which allows for models to be build based on the physical testing. Using these models enables the possibility for high modularity as well as doing sensitivity studies. It is possible to reduce the number of development loops when creating combustion system variants for different requirements. The result is a robust modular combustion system that has significant improvement in efficiency in combination with a new injection strategy.
CitationPersson, H., Babajimopoulos, A., Helmantel, A., Holst, F. et al., "Development of the Combustion System for Volvo Cars Euro6d VEA Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0713, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0713.
- ACEA http://www.acea.be/statistics/tag/category/share-of-diesel-in-new-passenger-cars
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals
- Andersson , Ö. , Somhorst , J. , Lindgren , R. , Blom , R. et al. Development of the Euro 5 Combustion System for Volvo Cars' 2.4.I Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1450 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1450
- Ge , H. , Shi , Y. , Reitz , R. , Wickman , D. et al. Engine Development Using Multi-dimensional CFD and Computer Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0360 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0360
- Inagaki , K. , Mizuta , J. , Fuyuto , T. , Hashizume , T. et al. Low Emissions and High-Efficiency Diesel Combustion Using Highly Dispersed Spray with Restricted In-Cylinder Swirl and Squish Flows SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 2065 2079 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1393
- Fridriksson , H. , Tuner , M. , Andersson , O. , Sunden , B. et al. Effect of Piston Bowl Shape and Swirl Ratio on Engine Heat Transfer in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1141 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1141
- Busch , S. , Zha , K. , Miles P. Investigations of closely coupled pilot and main injections as a means to reduce combustion noise in a small-bore direct injection Diesel engine International J of Engine Research 2015 16 1 13 22
- Hagen , J. , Nakagawa , M. , Herrmann , O. , Weber , J. et al. Diesel Combustion Potentials by Further Injector Improvement in Case of Different Engine Applications 24th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2015
- Schöppe , D. , Atzler , F. , Kastner , O. , Kapphan , F. High Performance Diesel Direct Driven Piezo Common Rail Injection System 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2014
- Zeh , D. , Hammer , J. , Uhr , C. , Rückle , M. Bosch Diesel Injection Technology - Response for Every Vehicle Class 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2014
- modeFrontier http://www.esteco.com/modefrontier
- STAR-CD http://mdx.plm.automation.siemens.com/star-cd
- STAR-CCM+ http://mdx.plm.automation.siemens.com/star-ccm-plus
- Miles , P. , Andersson , Ö. A review of design considerations for light-duty diesel combustion systems International J of Engine Research 2016 17 1 6 15
- ETAS http://www.etas.com/en/products/ascmo.php