This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation-Based Control of Transient SCE Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is critical for gas and dual fuel engines to have improved transient characteristics in order that they can successfully compete with diesel engines. Testing of transient behavior as well as of different control strategies for the multi-cylinder engine (MCE) should already be done on the single cylinder engine (SCE) test bed during the development process.
This paper presents tools and algorithms that simulate transient MCE behavior on a SCE test bed. A methodology that includes both simulation and measurements is developed for a large two-stage turbocharged gas engine. Simple and fast models and algorithms are created that are able to provide the boundary conditions (e.g., boost pressure and exhaust back pressure) of a multi-cylinder engine in transient operation in real-time for use on the SCE test bed. The main models of the methodology are discussed in detail. These models also describe the transient behavior of the complete air and exhaust gas path along with transient turbocharger behavior. The use of classical 1D flow modeling is not applicable due to the long calculation times; instead, the MCE gas exchange is described using a quick 0D approach to guarantee the real-time capability of the models. Additional challenges for a successful application of the methodology involve considering the particularities of numerical calculation, implementing the methodology into a real-time controller and achieving sufficient model robustness to avoid calculation errors. An adequate interface between the MCE model and the SCE test bed is required for the model to interact with the hardware. Finally, the models are implemented and validated on the SCE test bed.
CitationMayr, P., Pirker, G., Wimmer, A., and Krenn, M., "Simulation-Based Control of Transient SCE Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0544, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0544.
- CIMAC Working Group "Gas Engines": Position Paper "Transient Response Behaviour of Gas Engines" Conseil International des Machines A Combustion April 2011
- Wimmer , A. , Winter , H. , Schnessl , E. , Pirker , G. , Dimitrov , D. Brennverfahrensentwicklung für die nächste Gasmotorengeneration von GE Jenbacher presented at the 7th Dessau Gas Engine Conference Dessau, Germany March 24–25, 2011
- Grotz , M. ; Böwing , R. ; Lang , J. ; Thalhauser , J. ; Christiner , P. ; Wimmer , A. Efficiency Increase of a High Performance Gas Engine for Distributed Power Generation presented at CIMAC Cascades Graz 27/02/2015
- Trapp , C. The Future of Gas Engines – A Technology Comparison with Diesel Engines 14th Conference "The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engine" Graz 2013
- Lahti , J. and Moskwa , J. A Transient Test System for Single Cylinder Research Engines With Real Time Simulation of Multi-Cylinder Crankshaft and Intake Manifold Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0305 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0305
- Snyder , M. , Lahti , J. , and Moskwa , J. Simulating Transient Multi-Cylinder Engine Gas Exchange Dynamics on a Single-Cylinder Research Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1074 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1074
- Ryu , Seunghyup Development of HiLS system for HiMSEN Dual Fuel Engine CIMAC Proceedings 195 Helsinki 2016
- Gambarotta , A. ; Ruggiero , A. ; Sciolla , M. ; Lucchetti , G. HiL/SiL-System zur Simulation von aufgeladenen Dieselmotoren Motortechnische Zeitschrift MTZ 73 2012
- Friedrich , I. ; Buchwald , R. ; Stölting , E. ; Sommer , A. Das virtuelle Fahrzeug - Transiente Simulation für den dieselmotorischen Entwicklungsprozess Motortechnische Zeitschrift MTZ 70 2009
- Wu , H. and Li , M. A Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Bench Test of a GT-Power Fast Running Model for Rapid Control Prototyping (RCP) Verification SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0549 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0549
- Gambarotta , A. Real-time simulation of the effects of catalyst on automotive engines performance 16th Stuttgart International Symposium for Automotive and Engine Technology Stuttgart 15.03.2016
- Wiederer , J. , Leitner , L. , Endisch , C. , and Reiss , H. Fast Crank-Angle Based 0D Simulation of Combustion Engine Cold Tests including Manufacturing Faults and Production Spread SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9 1 321 335 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1374
- Gambarotta , A. and Lucchetti lng , G. Control-Oriented “Crank-Angle” Based Modeling of Automotive Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0144 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0144
- Könnö , J. Simulation Based Grid Compliance CIMAC Proceedings 216 Helsinki 2016
- GT-SUITE Version 7.5; Engine Performance Application Manual
- Huber , K. , Woschni , G. Investigations on Heat Transfer in Internal Combustion Engines under Low Load and Motoring Conditions SAE 905018 1990
- Schwarzmeier , M. Reibmitteldruck – Der Einfluss des Arbeitsprozessverlaufs auf den Reibmitteldruck
- Pucher , H. ; Zinner , K. “Aufladung von Verbrennungsmotoren – Grundlagen, Berechnungen, Ausführungen 4 Springer-Verlag 2012 10.1007/978-3-642-28990-3