This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Integrated Method for Evaluation of Seat Comfort Based on Virtual Simulation of the Interface Pressures of Driver with Different Body Sizes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents an integrated method for rapid modeling, simulation and virtual evaluation of the interface pressure between driver human body and seat. For simulation of the body-seat interaction and for calculation of the interface pressure, besides body dimensions and material characteristics an important aspect is the posture and position of the driver body with respect to seat. In addition, to ensure accommodation of the results to the target population usually several individuals are simulated, whose body anthropometries cover the scope of the whole population. The multivariate distribution of the body anthropometry and the sampling techniques are usually adopted to generate the individuals and to predict the detailed body dimensions. In biomechanical modeling of human body and seat, the correct element type, the rational settings of the contacts between different parts, the correct exertion of the loads to the calculation field, etc., are also crucial. For practical use of interface pressure simulation, it is important to connect the calculation results with design parameters, so that the influences of the design parameters on interface pressure (or even the seat comfort) can be predicted early. This is useful for the design optimization of seat. Other techniques, such as the virtual measurement of H-Point and the seat design parameters, the rapid evaluation of interface pressures for seat comfort, etc., are necessary to aid design and optimization. A framework integrating the above techniques is developed to simulate interface pressure efficiently and to assess seat comfort with more practicability.
|Technical Paper||ERL, A CAD-Based Model of Human Occupants|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Automotive Seat and Package Factors on Posture and Applicability to Design Models|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Prediction of Seating Position in Car Seats|
CitationRen, J., Du, X., Liu, T., Liu, H. et al., "An Integrated Method for Evaluation of Seat Comfort Based on Virtual Simulation of the Interface Pressures of Driver with Different Body Sizes," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0406, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0406.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Park, S. and Kim, C., "The Evaluation of Seating Comfort by the Objective Measures," SAE Technical Paper 970595, 1997, doi:10.4271/970595.
- Gyi, D. E. and Porter, J. M., 1999. Interface pressure and the prediction of car seat discomfort. Applied Ergonomics, 30 : 99-107
- Porter, J. M., Gyi, D. E., Tait, H. A., 2003. Interface pressure data and the prediction of driver discomfort in road trials. Applied Ergonomics 34: 207-214
- Milivojevich, A., Stanciu, R., Russ, A., Blair, G. et al., "Investigating Psychometric and Body Pressure Distribution Responses to Automotive Seating Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0626, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0626.
- Inagaki, H., Taguchi, T., Yasuda, E., and Iizuka, Y., "Evaluation of Riding Comfort: From the Viewpoint of Interaction of Human Body and Seat for Static, Dynamic, Long Time Driving," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0643, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0643.
- Hartung, J., Mergl, C., and Bubb, H., "Reliability of Pressure Measurement on Car Seats," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2167, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2167.
- Zenk, R., Mergl, C., Hartung, J., Sabbah, O. et al., "Objectifying the Comfort of Car Seats," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1299, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1299.
- Vincent, A., Bhise, V., and Mallick, P., "Seat Comfort as a Function of Occupant Characteristics and Pressure Measurements at the Occupant-Seat Interface," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0071, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0071.
- Park, S., Min, S., Subramaniyam, M., Lee, D. et al., "Analysis of Body Pressure Ratio for Evaluation of Automotive Seating Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0456, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0456.
- Gruevski, K. M., Holmes, M. W. R., Gooyers, C. E., et al., 2016. Lumbar postures, seat interface pressures and discomfort responses to a novel thoracic support for police officers during prolonged simulated driving exposures. Applied Ergonomics, 52:160-168
- Mergl, C., Klendauer, M., Mangen, C., and Bubb, H., "Predicting Long Term Riding Comfort in Cars by Contact Forces Between Human and Seat," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2690, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2690.
- Montmayeur, N., Marca, C., Choi, H., and Sah, S., "Experimental and Numerical Analyses of Seating Pressure Distribution Patterns," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2703, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2703.
- Bidal, S., Bekkour, T., and Kayvantash, K., "M-COMFORT: Scaling, Positioning and Improving a Human Model," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2337, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-2337.
- Siefert, A., Pankoke, S., Wölfel, H. -P., 2008. Virtual optimisation of car passenger seats: simulation of static and dynamic effects on drivers’ seating comfort. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, doi:10.1016/j.ergon.2007.08.016.
- Choi, H., Sah, S., Na, S., Montmayeur, K. et al., "Human Body Modeling for Virtual Seat Comfort Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2335, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-2335.
- Choi, H., Kim, K., Kim, C., Sah, S. et al., "Challenge of Lumbar Support Design Using Human Body Models," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1(1):1078-1084, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1860.
- Grujicic, M., Pandurangan B., Arakere, G., et al., 2009. Seat-cushion and soft-tissue material modeling and a finite element Investigation of the seating comfort for passenger-vehicle occupants. Materials and Design, Vol.30: 4273-4285.
- Kim, S. H., Yun, J. K. And Choi, H. Y., 2010. Digital human body model for seat comfort simulation. International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 239-244. DOI 10.1007/s12239-010-0030-4
- Hu, J. and Reed, M., "Development of a Methodology for Simulating Seat Back Interaction Using Realistic Body Contours," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(2):623-628, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0452.
- Laurent, V., Then, C., and Silber, G., "Human Modeling and CAE Based Subjective Seat Comfort Score Correlation," SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(1):295-304, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1980.
- Reed, M. P., Manary, M. A., Flannagan, C. A. C., et al., 2002. A statistical method for predicting automobile driving posture. Human Factors. 44(4): 557-568
- Gao, X.-X., 2013. Research on parametric modeling and simulation of the occupant human body surface. Jilin University.
- Zhang, S. -X, Wang, P. -A, Liu, Z. -J., 2004. Atlas of chinese visible human (male and female). Beijing: Science Press. www.sciencep.com
- Harrison, D. D., Harrison, S. O., Croft, A. C., et al., 2000. Sitting biomechanics, part II: optimal car driver's seat and optimal driver's spinal model. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 23 : 37-47
- Du, X.-M., Ren, J.-D., Sang, C.-L., et al., 2013. Simulation of the interaction between driver and seat. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering. Vol. 26(6): 1234-1241.
- Seidl, A., "RAMSIS - A New CAD-Tool for Ergonomic Analysis of Vehicles Developed for the German Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 970088, 1997, doi:10.4271/970088.
- Reed, M. P., Manary, M. A., Flannagan, C. A. C., et al., 2000. The effects of vehicle interior geometry and anthropometric variables on automobile driving posture. Human Factors, 42 (4): 541-552
- Seitz, T., Recluta, D., Zimmermann, D., and Wirsching, H., "FOCOPP - An Approach for a Human Posture Prediction Model Using Internal/External Forces and Discomfort," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2694, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2694.
- Rasmussen, J., Christensen, S., Siebertz, K., and Rausch, J., "Posture and Movement Prediction by Means of Musculoskeletal Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2342, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-2342.
- Lee, J., Kwon, B., Kyung, G., and Nussbaum, M., "Predicting Driving Postures and Seated Positions in SUVs Using a 3D Digital Human Modeling Tool," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1856, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1856.
- Hendricks, F. M., Brokken, D., Oomens, C. W. J., et al., 2003. A numerical-experimental method to characterize the non-linear mechanical behavior of human skin. Skin Res Technol, Vol.9:274-83.
- Bonfield, W., Datta, P. K., 1974. Young's modulus of compact bone. Journal of Biomechanics. 7(2):147-149
- Rho, J. Y., Ashman, R. B., Turner, C. H., 1993. Young’s modulus of trabecular and cortical bone material: ultrasonic and microtensile measurements. Journal of Biomechanics, 26(2):111-9
- Shen, W.-Q and Galer, I. A. R., 1993. Development of a pressure related assessment model of seating discomfort. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 37th Annual Meeting, Seattle, USA
- Andreoni, G., Santambrogio, G. C., Rabuffetti, M., et al., 2002. Method for the analysis of posture and interface pressure of car drivers. Applied Ergonomics, 33 : 511-522
- Demontis, S. and Giacoletto, M., "Prediction of Car Seat Comfort from Human-Seat Interface Pressure Distribution," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0781, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0781.
- Oudenhuijzen, A., Tan, K., and Morsch, F., "The Relationship Between Seat Pressure and Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2213, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2213.
- Kolich, M., Seal, N., Taboun, S., 2004. Automobile seat comfort prediction: statistical model vs. artificial neural network. Applied Ergonomics 35 : 275-284
- Na, S., Lim, S., Choi, Hwa-Soon, et al., 2005. Evaluation of driver's discomfort and postural change using dynamic body pressure distribution. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 35 : 1085-1096
- Zenk, R., Mergl, C., Hartung, J., and Bubb, H., "Predicting Overall Seating Discomfort Based on Body Area Ratings," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0346, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0346.
- Kyung, G., Nussbaum, M. A.., 2007. Driver sitting comfort and discomfort-part ii: relationships with and prediction from interface pressure. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics doi:10.1016/j.ergon.2007.08.011
- Jain, R. and Pandey, R., "A Study on the Role of Body Posture on Static Seating Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0080, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-26-0080.
- Lanzotti, A., Trotta, M., Vanacore, A.., 2011. Validation of a new index for seat comfort assessment based on objective and subjective measurements. Proceedings of the IMProVe 2011 International conference on Innovative Methods in Product Design. Venice, Italy
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, "Motor Vehicle Dimensions," SAE Standard J1100, Rev. Jul. 2002.
- van Hoof, J., van Markwijk, R., Verver, M., Furtado, R. et al., "Numerical Prediction of Seating Position in Car Seats," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2168, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2168.
- Rasmussen, J. and de Zee, M., "Design Optimization of Airline Seats," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1(1):580-584, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1863.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, "H-Point machine (HPM-II) specification and procedure," SAE Standard J4002, Rev. Aug. 2008.