This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surface Quality Inspection for Vehicle Front Panel Using Polarized Laser Inspection Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle front panel is an interior part which has a major impact on the consumers’ experience of the vehicles. To keep a good appearance during long time aging period, most of the front panel is designed as a rough surface. Some types of surface defects on the rough surface can only be observed under the exposure of certain angled sun light. This brings great difficulties in finding surface defects on the production line. This paper introduces a novel polarized laser light based surface quality inspection method for the rough surfaces on the vehicle front panel. By using the novel surface quality inspection system, the surface defects can be detected real-timely even without the exposure under certain angled sun light. The optical fundamentals, theory derivation, experiment setup and testing result are shown in detail in this paper.
|Technical Paper||PRODUCTION PROBLEMS|
|Technical Paper||Friction Material; from Prototype to Production|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Dynamic Model for Studying the 1st Generation of Common Rail Injectors for HSDI Diesel Engines|
CitationXie, X., Zeng, D., Zhang, B., Li, J. et al., "Surface Quality Inspection for Vehicle Front Panel Using Polarized Laser Inspection Method," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0395, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0395.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Goplen, Erik. "Surface configuration of a front panel for a vehicle." U.S. Patent D426,503, issued June 13, 2000.
- Mobius, Wolfgang, and Kulla Matthias. "Exterior surface configuration of a front panel of a motor vehicle." U.S. Patent D410,220, issued May 25, 1999.
- Luk, F., Huynh V., and North W.. "Measurement of surface roughness by a machine vision system." Journal of physics E: Scientific instruments 22, no. 12 (1989): 977.
- Farrokhnia, Farshid. "Multi-channel filtering techniques for texture segmentation and surface quality inspection." Doctoral Dissertation, Michigan State University (1991).
- Brosnan, Tadhg, and Sun Da-Wen. "Improving quality inspection of food products by computer vision--a review." Journal of Food Engineering 61, no. 1 (2004): 3-16.
- Costa, Manuel FM. "Surface inspection by an optical triangulation method." Optical Engineering 35, no. 9 (1996): 2743-2747.
- Sacco, Bruno, and Pfeiffer Peter. "Surface configuration of a front panel for a vehicle." U.S. Patent D419,938, issued February 1, 2000.
- Guyomard, Jean-Nicolas, and Sigonneau Jacques. "Overmoulded metal/plastic composite front panel for motor vehicle." U.S. Patent 6,273,496, issued August 14, 2001.