This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Pre-Strain on Edge Cracking Limit for Advanced High-Strength Steel Using Digital Image Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced high-strength steel (AHSS) is gaining popularity in the automotive industry due to its higher final part strength with the better formability compares to the conventional steel. However, the edge fracture occurs during the forming procedure for the pre-strained part. To avoid the edge fracture that happens during the manufacturing, the effect of pre-strain on edge cracking limit needs to be studied. In this paper, digital image correlation (DIC), as an accurate optical method, is adopted for the strain measurement to determining the edge cracking limit. Sets of the wide coupons are pre-strained to obtain the samples at different pre-strain level. The pre-strain of each sample is precisely measured during this procedure using DIC. After pre-straining, the half dog bone samples are cut from these wide coupons. The edge of the notch in the half dog bone samples is created by the punch with 10% clearance for the distinct edge condition. The pre-strained half dog-bone samples are tested under a uniaxial tension to acquire the edge cracking limit. The thinning strain is measured to calculate the edge cracking limit using the DIC system. The detailed experimental setup, procedure, and results are described in this article. The effect of pre-strain on edge cracking limit for different material direction at different pre-strain level is discussed and concluded.
CitationLi, J., Yang, R., Li, Z., Du, C. et al., "Effect of Pre-Strain on Edge Cracking Limit for Advanced High-Strength Steel Using Digital Image Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0394, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0394.
- Keeler , Stuart Philip , and Backofen. Walter A. Plastic instability and fracture in sheets stretched over rigid punches Asm Trans Q 56.1 1963 25 48
- Li , Junrui et al. Experimental study of FLD0 for aluminum alloy using digital image correlation with modified ISO method International Journal of Materials Research 107.3 2016 245 253
- Luo , Meng , and Wierzbicki Tomasz Numerical failure analysis of a stretch-bending test on dual-phase steel sheets using a phenomenological fracture model International Journal of Solids and Structures 47.22 2010 3084 3102
- Zhou , D. , Du , C. , Siekirk , J. , McGuire , J. et al. A Practical Failure Limit for Sheared Edge Stretching of Automotive Body Panels SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0986 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0986
- Xie , Xin et al. An experimental validation of volume conservation assumption for aluminum alloy sheet metal using digital image correlation method The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design 2016
- Li , Junrui et al. Whole-field thickness strain measurement using multiple camera digital image correlation system Optics and Lasers in Engineering 90 2017 19 25
- Xie , X. , Zeng , D. , Li , J. , Dahl , J. et al. Tensile Test for Polymer Plastics with Extreme Large Elongation Using Quad-Camera Digital Image Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0418 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0418
- Xu , Wan et al. Strain analysis of pressure vessels contained pits based on digital image correlation method Seventh International Symposium on Precision Mechanical
- Yang , G. , Bai , T. , Xu , W. , Li , J. et al. Dimension Study of Punched Hole Using Conical Tipped Punches SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0364 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0364