This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Fracture Strain of Advanced High Strength Steels Using Digital Image Correlation in Combination with Thinning Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Fracture strain data provide essential information for material selection and serve as an important failure criterion in computer simulations of crash events. Traditionally, the fracture strain was measured by evaluating the thinning at fracture using tools such as a microscope or a point micrometer. In the recent decades, digital image correlation (DIC) has evolved as an advanced optical technique to record full-field strain history of materials during deformation. Using this technique, a complete set of the fracture strains (including major, minor, and thickness strains) can be approximated for the material. However, results directly obtained from the DIC can be dependent on the experiment setup and evaluation parameters, which potentially introduce errors to the reported values. To evaluate the capability of the DIC for fracture strain measurements, a validation study was performed to compare the fracture strains of a 980GEN3 steel measured with a DIC and a microscope, respectively. Briefly, Marciniak cup tool was employed to deform the specimens under different strain conditions (i.e., uniaxial tension, plane strain, and equi-biaxial stretch). Deviations in the DIC measurements from the thinning measurements were identified and understood via comparing the thinning at fracture measured with the DIC and the microscope, which demonstrated the limitation of the current DIC setup used in this work. In an effort to improve the accuracy of fracture strain measurements with current DIC configurations, a combined approach integrating the DIC with the thinning measurement was practiced. Using this combined method, fracture strain data for two advanced high strength steel grades were successfully generated.
CitationHuang, L., Shi, M., and Russell, P., "Determination of Fracture Strain of Advanced High Strength Steels Using Digital Image Correlation in Combination with Thinning Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0314, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0314.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Keeler, S., Kimchi, M., “Advanced High-Strength Steels Application Guidelines V5,” WorldAutoSteel, 2015.
- Chen, G., Shi, M., and Tyan, T., "Fracture Modeling of AHSS in Component Crush Tests," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4(1):1-9, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-0001.
- Luo, M., Wierzbicki, T., “Numerical failure analysis of a stretch-bending test on dual-phase steel sheets using a phenomenological fracture model,” Int. J. Solids Struct. 47(22): 3084-3102, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2010.07.010.
- Li, Y., Luo, M. Gerlach, J., Wierzbicki, T., “Prediction of shear-induced fracture in sheet metal forming”, J. Mater. Process. Tech. 210(14):1858-1869, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2010.06.021.
- Dunand, M., Mohr, D., "Hybrid experimental-numerical analysis of basic ductile fracture experiments for sheet metals," Int. J. Solids Struct. 47(9): 1130-1143, 2010. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.12.011.
- Dykeman, J., Malcolm, S., Yan, B., Chintamani, J. et al., "Characterization of Edge Fracture in Various Types of Advanced High Strength Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1058, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1058.
- Huang, L., Shi, M., “Determination of the Forming Limit Curve using Digital Image Correlationn - Comparison of Different Approaches to Pinpoint the Onset of Localized Necking,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0301, 2017, In Press.
- Siebert, T., Splitthof K., Lomnitz, M., “Multi-Camera 3D DCI System to Material Testing,” Presentation at iDICs 2016 Conference and Workshop/SEM Fall Conference.
- Huang, G., Yan, B., and Zhu, H., "Measurement of Fracture Strains for Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) Using Digital Image Correlation," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 2(1): 482-486, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1174.
- Huang, G., Sadagopan, S., Schreier, H., “Determination of Forming Limit and Fracture Limit Curves Using Digital Image Correlation,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0982, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0952.
- Centeno, G., Martinez-Donaire, A.J., Vallellano, C., “Experimental Study on the Evaluation of Necking and Fracture Strains in Sheet Metal Forming Process,” Procedia Eng. 63:650-658, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2013.08.204.
- Bai, Y., Wierzbicki, T., “Application of Extended Mohr-Coulomb Criterion to Ductile Fracture,” Int. J. Fract. 161(1):1-20, 2010, doi: 10.1007/s10704-009-9422-8.
- Björklund, O., Nilsson, L., "Failure characteristics of a dual-phase steel sheet," J. Mater. Process. Tech. 214(6):1190-1204, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2014.01.004.