This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Potential of Thermoelectric Generator in Parallel Hybrid Vehicle Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper reports on an investigation into the potential for a thermoelectric generator (TEG) to improve the fuel economy of a mild hybrid vehicle. A simulation model of a parallel hybrid vehicle equipped with a TEG in the exhaust system is presented. This model is made up by three sub-models: a parallel hybrid vehicle model, an exhaust model and a TEG model. The model is based on a quasi-static approach, which runs a fast and simple estimation of the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. The model is validated against both experimental and published data. Using this model, the annual fuel saving, CO2 reduction and net present value (NPV) of the TEG’s life time fuel saving are all investigated. The model is also used as a flexible tool for analysis of the sensitivity of vehicle fuel consumption to the TEG design parameters. The analysis results give an effective basis for optimization of the TEG design.
CitationLan, S., Rouaud, C., Stobart, R., Chen, R. et al., "The Potential of Thermoelectric Generator in Parallel Hybrid Vehicle Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0189, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0189.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Change, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate. Climate Change 2014: Mitigation of Climate Change. Vol. 3:Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- Thiel, Christian, Perujo Adolfo, and Mercier Arnau. "Cost and Co 2 Aspects of Future Vehicle Options in Europe under New Energy Policy Scenarios." Energy policy 38, no. 11 (2010): 7142–51.
- Arena Fabrizio, Mezzana Luc. "The Automotive CO2 Emissions Challenge: 2020 Regulatory Scenario for Passenger Cars." Arthur D. Little http://www.adlittle.com/viewpoints.html?&view=664.
- Arima, Jun. "Top Runner Program." In Workshop on Best Practices in Policies and Measures, vol. 11, p. 13. 2000.
- Aghaali, Habib, and Hans-Erik Ångströ. "A review of turbocompounding as a waste heat recovery system for internal combustion engines." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 49 (2015): 813–824.
- Feru, Emanuel, Willems Frank, Rojer Chepa, de Jager Bram, and Steinbuch Maarte. "Heat exchanger modeling and identification for control of waste heat recovery systems in diesel engines." In 2013 American Control Conference, pp. 2860–2865. IEEE, 2013
- Stobart, R., Wijewardane, A., and Allen, C. "The Potential for Thermo-Electric Devices in Passenger Vehicle Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0833, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0833.
- Kirillov, V. A., Shigarov A. B., Kuzin N. A., Kireenkov V. V., Amosov Yu I., Samoilov A. V., and Burtsev V. A. "Thermochemical conversion of fuels into hydrogen-containing gas using recuperative heat of internal combustion engines." Theoretical Foundations of Chemical Engineering 47, no. 5 (2013): 524–537.
- Aladayleh, Wail, and Alahmer Ali. "Recovery of exhaust waste heat for ICE using the beta type Stirling engine." Journal of Energy 2015 (2015).
- LaGrandeur, John, Crane D., Hung S., Mazar B., and Eder A. "Automotive waste heat conversion to electric power using skutterudite, TAGS, PbTe and BiTe." In 2006 25th International Conference on Thermoelectrics, pp. 343–348. IEEE, 2006.
- SLOT, ARNOUD VAN DER. "Study Integrated Fuels and Vehicles Roadmap 2030+." Roland Berger.
- Vijayagopal, R. and Rousseau, A. "Impact of TEGs on the Fuel Economy of Conventional and Hybrid Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1712, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1712.
- Oetringer, Kerstin, Kober Martin, and Altstedde Mirko Klei. "Upgrading hybrid-vehicles with a Thermoelectric Generator." In Ecological Vehicles and Renewable Energies (EVER), 2014 Ninth International Conference on, pp. 1–5. IEEE, 2014.
- Sciarretta, Antonio, Back Michael, and Guzzella Lino "Optimal control of parallel hybrid electric vehicles." IEEE Transactions on control systems technology 12, no. 3 (2004): 352–363.
- Guzzella, L., and Amstutz A. "The QSS Toolbox Manual,” IMRT Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich." Ready from WWW: http://www.imrt.ethz.ch/research/qss (2005).
- LeBlanc, Saniya, Yee Shannon K., Scullin Matthew L., Dames Chris, and Goodson Kenneth E. "Material and manufacturing cost considerations for thermoelectrics." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 32 (2014): 313–327.
- García-Cañadas, Jorge, Powell Anthony V., Kaltzoglou Andreas, Vaqueiro Paz, and Min Gao "Fabrication and evaluation of a skutterudite-based thermoelectric module for high-temperature applications." Journal of electronic materials 42, no. 7 (2013): 1369–1374.
- Lan, S., Yang, Z., Stobart, R., and Winward, E. "The Influence of Thermoelectric Materials and Operation Conditions on the Performance of Thermoelectric Generators for Automotive," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0219, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0219.
- Eriksson, L. "Mean Value Models for Exhaust System Temperatures," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0374, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0374.
- Esarte, J., Min G., and Rowe D. M. "Modelling heat exchangers for thermoelectric generators." Journal of Power Sources 93, no. 1 (2001): 72–76.
- Yazawa, Kazuaki, and Shakouri Al. "Optimization of power and efficiency of thermoelectric devices with asymmetric thermal contacts." Journal of Applied Physics 111, no. 2 (2012): 024509.
- Apertet, Y., Ouerdane H., Goupil C., and Lecoeur P. "Influence of thermal environment on optimal working conditions of thermoelectric generators." Journal of Applied Physics 116, no. 14 (2014): 144901.
- Yang, Z., Winward, E., Lan, S., and Stobart, R. "Optimization of the Number of Thermoelectric Modules in a Thermoelectric Generator for a Specific Engine Drive Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0232, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0232.
- Principe, Jose C., Euliano Neil R., and Lefebvre W. Curt Neural and adaptive systems: fundamentals through simulations with CD-ROM. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.