This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of the Under-Hood Aero-Thermal Flow Features Using 3D CFD Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The demand for better fuel economy pushed by both consumer and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), made OEMs to put more effort on other areas beside vehicle external aerodynamics. As one of these areas, under-hood aero-thermal management has taken an important role in the new road vehicle design process, due to the combination of growing engine power demands, utilization of sophisticated under-hood and underbody devices, and emission regulations. The challenge of the under-hood aerothermal management is not only due to the complexity of under-hood compartment, but also as a result of the complex heat transfer phenomena involving conduction, convention and thermal radiation. In this study, 3D CFD simulations were used to investigate the under-hood aerothermal flow features. The full vehicle model with detailed under-hood components used in this study is a Hyundai Veloster. A commercial CDF code Star-CCM+ version 11.04 from CD-adapco was used to run all the simulations. The baseline case is a pure aerodynamic analysis without considering the heat transfer phenomena. Two more cases with conduction and convection models were simulated to investigate the influence of vehicle speed on the aerothermal flow features. The last and the final one included all the heat transfer modes to investigate the importance of thermal radiation in the under-hood aerothermal management. Condenser and radiator were modeled as porous media. The cooling fan rotation was modeled using the moving reference frames (MRF) method. Heat exchanger model was applied on radiator core to simulate the heat transfer from the coolant to airflow. We observed the under-hood flow feature to be strongly affected by the wheel rotation.
CitationZhang, C., Uddin, M., and Foster, L., "Investigation of the Under-Hood Aero-Thermal Flow Features Using 3D CFD Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0142, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0142.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Jansen , W. Engine Air Intake Thermal Modelling in Full Vehicle Underhood Environment SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0861 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0861
- Fortunato , F. , Caprio , M. , Oliva , P. , D’Aniello , G. Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Thermal Behavior of a Complete Exhaust System SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1094 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1094
- Mathur , G. Performance Enhancement of Mobile Air Conditioning System With Improved Air Management for Front End SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1512 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1512
- Kubokura , T. , Uno , T. , Evans , N. , Kuroda , H. Study of Cooling Drag Reduction Method by Controlling Cooling Flow SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0679 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0679
- Weidmann , E. , Binner , T. , and Reister , H. Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Thermal Soak SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 1 1 145 153 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0396
- Khaled , M. , Harambat , F. , and Peerhossaini , H. Temperature and Heat Flux Behavior of Complex Flows in Car Underhood Compartment Heat Transfer Engineering 31 13 1057 1067 2010 10.1080/01457631003640321
- Khaled , M. , Harambat , F. , and Peerhossaini , H. Towards the control of car underhood thermal conditions Applied Thermal Engineering 31 5 902 910 2011 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.11.013
- Khaled , M. , Harambat , F. , and Peerhossaini , H. Underhood thermal management: Temperature and heat flux measurements and physical analysis Applied Thermal Engineering 30 6 7 590 598 2010 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2009.11.003
- Kumar , V. , Kapoor , S. , Arora , G. , Saha , S. A Combined CFD and Flow Network Modeling Approach for Vehicle Underhood Air Flow and Thermal Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1150 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1150
- Shim , H. and Park , J. A Study of the Transient Analysis Technique on the Under Hood Thermal Damage SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0126 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0126
- Pryor , J. , Pierce , M. , Fremond , E. , and Michou , Y. Development of Transient Simulation Methodologies for Underhood Hot Spot Analysis of a Truck SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0651 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0651
- User guide for StarCCM+ version 11.04.
- Makam , S. , Dubbs , C. , Roosien , Y. , Lin , F. Analytical Study of Thermal Management: A Case Study of Underhood Configurations SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0335 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0335
- Heinzelmann , B. , Indinger , T. , Adams , N. , and Blanke , R. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Under Hood Flow with Heat Transfer for a Scaled Tractor-Trailer SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 42 56 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0107
- Khasow , R. , Best , S. , Agelin-Chaab , M. , Komar , J. Experimental Investigation of Underbody Thermal and Aerodynamic Flow-Field Features SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars — Mech. Syst. 8 1 146 154 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1525
- Lan , K. and Srinivasan , K. Influences of Free Stream Conditions on Vehicle Thermal Management – An Analytical Study SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1152 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1152
- Juan , T. Investigation and Assessment of Factors Affecting the Underhood Cooling Air Flow Using CFD SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2658 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2658
- Onishi , Y. , Ramsay , T. , Juan , T. , and McKillen , J. The Thermal and Aerodynamic Development of a Cooling and Heat Resistance Package for a New Hybrid Sports Car SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 1 155 164 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1526
- Kaushik , S. Thermal Management of a Vehicle’s Underhood and Underbody Using Appropriate Math-Based Analytical Tools and Methodologies SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1395 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1395