This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety Speed Assessment for Driving in Foggy Environment Based on Visibility and Vehicle Brake Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Studies show that driving in foggy environment is a security risk, and when driving in foggy environment, the drivers are easy to accelerate unconsciously. The safety information prompted to the driver is mainly from fog lights, road warning signs and the traffic radio. In order to increase the quality of the safety tips to prevent drivers from unintended acceleration and ensure the security of driving in foggy environment, the study proposes a safety speed assessment method for driving in foggy environment, combining the information of driving environment, vehicle’s speed and the multimedia system.
The method uses camera which is installed on the front windshield pillar to collect the image about the environment, and uses the dark channel prior theory to calculate the visibility. And by using the environment visibility, the safety speed can be calculated based on the kinematics theory. And it is appropriate for vehicles which have different braking performance. If the vehicle speed is faster than the safety value, the system will alert the driver to pay attention to the current speed.
The method is verified by the semi-physical simulation. The results show that the method can effectively prompt the safety speed to ensure the safety of driving in 50-300m low visibility environment. Especially when the visibility is about 50m, the system can warning validly and drivers can make vehicle speed in a safety range, which is helpful for the traffic safety. If combined with the vehicle network, it would greatly improve the accuracy.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Recommendations of the SAE Task Force on Headlamp Mounting Height|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Headlamp Mounting Height for Passenger and Pickup Truck Vehicles|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Describing and Evaluating the Truck Driver's Viewing Environment|
CitationWang, J., Yang, B., Liu, J., Ji, K. et al., "Safety Speed Assessment for Driving in Foggy Environment Based on Visibility and Vehicle Brake Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0084, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0084.
- Guifang , S. , Hao Y. and Jianchuan C. Calculation of Speed Limit on Foggy environments JOURNAL OF SOUTHWEST JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY 2010 45 1 136 139 159
- Xiufeng , C. et al. Driving Performance Research in Foggy Conditions Based on Driving Simulator Journal of Wuhan University of Technology(Transportation Science & Engineering) 2013 37 4 763 766
- Ming , L.B. and Jun Z.L. The Research on Road Safety Management of Expressway under Bad Climate Conditions SHANGHAI HIGHWAYS 2006 1 55 58
- Yaying , P. and Wu C. Analysis of Meteorological Conditions for Traffic Accidents METEOROLOGICAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 2006 34 6 778 782
- He Fangfang , F.G.W.J. A study on the relationship between bad weather conditions and traffic accidents in Shanghai JOURNAL OF APPLIED METEOROLOGICAL SCIENCE 2004 15 1 126 128
- Federal Highway Administration Best practices for road weather management[M] Washington, D. C. National Academy Press 2002 36 40
- 2013 China Environmental Status Bulletin
- Zhou Tao , R.X. Study on the causes and treatment measures of haze and haze in Beijing Journal of North China Electric Power University(Social Sciences) 2012 2 12 16
- Shensen , H. Research on highway traffic safety and early warning technology in foggy weather 2013 Chang'an University
- Kunpeng , Z. The key technology of highway fog vehicle auxiliary system based on ultrasonic and GPS 2008 Tianjin University of Technology
- Jing , H. Information collection system of driver's front environment in foggy weather condition 2008 Wuhan University of Technology
- J , K.D.W.J. Towards realtime visual based tracking in cluttered Trace Scenes Proc.2nd IEEE Symposium on Intelligent Vehicles 1994 201 206
- Weiping Liu , F.H.W.X. An overview of the development of vehicle safety assistant driving system AUTO APPLICATION 2005 11 38 39
- Shangshu , G. , Wenxin Q.I. and Yu Q.I. Video Visibility Measurement Method Based on Dark Channel Prior Computer and Digital Engineering 2014 42 4 694 697
- Hautiere N , T.J.L.J. Automatic fog detection and estimation of visibility distance through use of an onboard camera[J] Machine Vision and Applications 2006 17 1 8 20
- CIE International Lighting Vocabulary[J] Central Bureau of the Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage, kegelgasse 1989 27
- Pang J , A.O.G.Z. Improved Single Image De—hazing Using Guided Filter[J] Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association 2011
- Xiong , W. RESEARCH ON THEORETICAL CALCULATION AND EVALUATION OF BRAKING PERFORMANCE FOR AUTOMOBILE WITH ABS 2013 East China Jiaotong University