This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual FMEA and Its Application to Software Verification of Electric Power Steering System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents the “Virtual Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (vFMEA)” system, which is a high-fidelity electrical-failure-simulation platform, and applies it to the software verification of an electric power steering (EPS) system. The vFMEA system enables engineers to dynamically inject a drift fault into a circuit model of the electronic control unit (ECU) of an EPS system, to analyze system-level failure effects, and to verify software-implemented safety mechanisms, which consequently reduces both cost and time of development. The vFMEA system can verify test cases that cannot be verified using an actual ECU and can improve test coverage as well. It consists of a cycle-accurate microcontroller model with mass-production software implemented in binary format, analog and digital circuit models, mechanical models, and a state-triggered fault-injection mechanism. In this paper, the vFMEA method was applied to the verification of the safety mechanisms implemented on an ECU of an EPS system. It was revealed that the software-implemented safety mechanism detected the drift fault injected into a current monitor circuit in the ECU and shut down the system properly as designed. This means that the software was verified with the vFMEA method for the case of a drift fault as well as an open fault and a short fault. In addition, a simulation result was compared with the experimental ones using an actual ECU in the case of a sinusoidal steering input. It was also revealed that motor torque for driver assistance gives results within range of the experimental ones. Therefore, we confirmed the validity of the vFMEA system as a simulation platform for safety-mechanism verification.
|Technical Paper||Digital By-Wire Replaces Mechanical Systems in Cars|
|Technical Paper||Writing Good Technical Safety Requirements|
|Technical Paper||The Bus Crusher and The Armageddon Device Part I|
- Masaki Itabashi - Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Shingo Obara - Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Tetsuya Uno - Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Yoshinobu Fukano - Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Mitsuo Sasaki - Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Yoshihiro Miyazaki - Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Akihiko Hyodo - Hitachi America Ltd.
- Shogo Nakao - Hitachi, Ltd.
- Yasuo Sugure - Hitachi, Ltd.
- Tomio Sakashita - Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas, Inc
CitationNakao, S., Hyodo, A., Itabashi, M., Sakashita, T. et al., "Virtual FMEA and Its Application to Software Verification of Electric Power Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0066, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0066.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Ito , Y. , Sugure , Y. , Oho , S. , and Matsushita , M. VIRTUAL HILS : A Model-Based Control Software Validation Method SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Electron. Electr. Syst. 4 1 142 149 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1018
- Niimi , Y. , Ono , T. , and Tsuchiya , N. Virtual Development of Engine ECU by Modeling Technology SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0007 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0007
- Bannow , N. , Becker , M. , Bringmann , O. , Burger , A. , Chaari , M. , Chakraborty , S. , Drechsler , R. , Ecker , W. , Grüttner , K. , Kruse , T. , Kuznik , C. , Le , H.M. , Mauderer , M. , Müller , W. , Mueller-Gritschneder , D. , Oetjens , J. , Poppen , F. , Post , H. , Reiter , S. , Rosenstiel , W. , Roth , S. , Schlichtmann , U. , Schwerin , A.V. , Tabacaru , B. , & Viehl , A. 2014 Safety Evaluation of Automotive Electronics Using Virtual Prototypes: State of the Art and Research Challenges DAC
- LI , Y. et al. Virtual Prototyping, Verification and Validation Framework for Automotive using SystemC, SystemC-AMS and UVM-SystemC Embedded Real Time Software and Systems(ERTS) 1 10 2014
- Rafaila , Monica et al. New Methods for System-level Verification using SystemC-AMS Extensions: Application to an Automotive ECU MBMV 2009
- Karner , M. , Krammer , M. , and Fuchs , A. System Level Modeling, Simulation and Verification Workflow for Safety-Critical Automotive Embedded Systems SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0210 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0210
- Morishima , K. , Oho , S. , and Shimada , S. A Virtual ECU and Its Application to Control System Analysis - Power Window System Demonstration SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0022 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0022
- Nakao , S. , Shimozawa , M. , and Sugure , Y. Virtual FMEA : Simulation-Based ECU Electrical Failure Mode and Effects Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0205 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0205
- IEC , TR 62380 Reliability data handbook–universal model for reliability prediction of electronics components, PCBs and equipment (emerged from UTEC 80-810 or RDF 2000) 2004
- IEEE Computer Society IEEE Standard VHDL-AMS Analog and Mixed-Signal Extensions IEEE Std 1076.1-1999
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Information Report SENT - Single Edge Nibble Transmission for Automotive Applications SAE J2716 Apr. 2016