This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control for Automated Trailer Backup
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We propose a steering controller for automated trailer backup, which can be used on tractor-trailer configurations including fifth wheel campers and gooseneck style trailers. The controller steers the trailer based on real-time driver issued trailer curvature commands. We give a stability proof for the hierarchical control system, and demonstrate robustness under a specific set of modeling errors. Simulation results are provided along with experimental data from a full-size pickup truck and 5th wheel trailer.
CitationHafner, M. and Pilutti, T., "Control for Automated Trailer Backup," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0040, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0040.
- Altafini Claudio, Speranzon Alberto, and Wahlberg Bo. A feedback control scheme for reversing a truck and trailer vehicle. IEEE Transactions on robotics and automation, 17(6):915-922, 2001.
- Bishop Richard. Intelligent vehicle technology and trends. 2005.
- Deng W. and Lee Y.H.. Anti-jackknife control for vehicle-trailer backing up using rear-wheel steer control, February 15 2005. US Patent 6,854,557.
- Lee Y.H., Deng W., Chin Y.K., and Lin W.C.. Vehicle-trailer backing up system using active front steer, December 26 2006. US Patent 7,154,385.
- Leng Zhe and Minor M.. A simple tractor-trailer backing control law for path following. In Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2010 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, pages 5538-5542, oct. 2010.
- Pilutti T.E., Trombley R.A., Hafner M., Rupp M.Y., Rhode D.S., and Recker D.A.. Control for trailer backup assist system, September 4 2014. US Patent App. 14/256,427.