This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transfer Function Generation for Model Abstraction Using Static Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Currently, Model Based Development (MBD) is the de-facto methodology in automotive industry. This has led to conversions of legacy code to Simulink models. Our previous work was related to implementing the C2M tool to automatically convert legacy code to Simulink models. While the tool has been implemented and deployed on few OEM pilot code-sets there were several improvement areas identified w.r.t. the generated models. One of the improvement areas identified was that the generated model used atomic blocks instead of abstracted blocks available in Simulink. E.g. the generated model used an ADD block and feedback loop to represent an integration operation instead of using an integrator block directly. This reduced the readability of the model even though the functionality was correct. Thus, as a user of the model, an engineer would like to see abstract blocks rather than atomic blocks. In this paper, we propose a methodology to convert models from atomic blocks to abstracted Simulink blocks. This methodology would help to improve the readability of automatically generated models. Our approach is novel since the C code is mathematically modelled in terms of transfer functions in control systems to achieve abstraction of the models. We present our results on simple discrete integration Simulink block as a case study.
CitationVaidya, V., S, R., Kareti, V., K.P., S. et al., "Transfer Function Generation for Model Abstraction Using Static Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0010, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0010.
- MathWorks™ – Simulink Reference http://www.mathworks.in/help/simulink/functionlist.html 2014
- Kizhakkae Palakkal , S. , Ranadive , P. , Boggarapu , N. , Rao , R. et al. Automatic C to Simulink Model Converter (C2M) Tool SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Electron. Electr. Syst. 8 2 255 263 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0164
- Koichi Ueda , Y. U. Converting Legacy Embedded Control Software to Executable Specifications. MathWorks International Automotive Conference MathWorks 2006
- Michael Baloh , G. R. Key considerations in the translation of legacy embedded control software to Model Based Executable Specifications Computer Aided Control System Design, IEEE International Conference on Control Applications 2006
- Akira O. , Butts K. Improving model-based design for automotive control systems development International Federation of Automatic Control 2008
- Yossi Veller , Vasile Hanga , Alexander Rozenman , Rami Rachamim Conversion of circuit description to an abstract model of the circuit US 13/400,521 https://www.google.co.in/patents/US20120150522?dq=mathematical+equaion+from+code+model+abstraction&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JbckVa-HAEYaOuASU4YA4&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ
- Ball Thomas J. , Rajamani Sriram K. , Millstein Todd D. , Rupak Majumdar System and method for generating a predicate abstraction of a program US7058925 B2 https://www.google.co.in/patents/US7058925?dq=analyze+code+model+for+mathematical+equation+abstraction&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qcMkVYbXKouauQSQlIGYBg&ved=0CCIQ6AEwATgK
- Franjo Ivancic , Pranav Ashar , Malay Ganai , Aarti Gupta , Zijiang Yang System and method for modeling, abstraction, and analysis of software US20050166167 A1 https://www.google.co.in/patents/US20050166167?dq=US+20050166167&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QsckVdHZM8S9ug-SKwYDQDg&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA
- Indranil Saha , K. C. An approach to reverse engineering of c programs to Simulink models with conformance testing 2nd India software engineering conference 137 138 NY, USA ACM 2009
- K. Butts , J. C. Automotive Powertrain Controller Development Using CACSD Perspectives in Control: New Concepts and Applications IEEE Press 2001
- Controller Style Guidelines for Production Intent using MATLAB®,Simulink® and Stateflow®, Version 3.00 2012 http://www.mathworks.in/automotive/standards/maab.html