This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Analysis of Direct Injection into a Pressurized Chamber Using an Automatic Image Treatment Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A multi-hole direct injection injector was studied by means of image analysis. Methodologies based on an automatic process of cone angle measurement and edge detection were applied for the spray images generated by a 100 bar injection pressure discharged into a pressurized rigid chamber. A criterion based on pixel values was taken to localize the spray edges as angular coordinates and also with x and y position data. The high pixel values were associated with liquid phase while the low pixel values were associated to its absence. Computational codes written in MATLAB environment were used to analyze the numerical matrices associated to the images. Using the written MATLAB codes, a comparison of the effect of atmospheric back pressure, inside the chamber, on the spray pattern, cone angle and spray penetration were evaluated. The chamber was pressurized with 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and 10 bar of back pressure. The tested fluid injected was EXXSOL D60 for simulating ethanol fuel behavior. A simulated engine speed rotation of 2400 rpm and 3% duty cycle were set in Motec ECU. With this configuration, a pulse of 1.5 milliseconds with spray injection followed by a period of 48.5 milliseconds without injection is obtained. The images were obtained with continuous back illumination and a CCD camera for recording frames with 6504 Hz. The injection pressure was fixed in 100 bar.
- Márcio Expedito Guzzo - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Fernando Antonio Rodrigues Filho - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Carlos Alberto Gomes Júnior - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Sérgio Augusto Passos Costa - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- José Eduardo Mautone Barros - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Ramón Molina Valle - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
CitationGuzzo, M., Filho, F., Júnior, C., Costa, S. et al., "A Comparative Analysis of Direct Injection into a Pressurized Chamber Using an Automatic Image Treatment Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0163, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-36-0163.
- BAUMGARTEN , CARSTEN Mixture Formation in Internal Combustion Engines Hannover Springer 2006
- MAHLE Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development ZHAO HUA 1 Woodhead Publishing Limited 2010
- ZHAO , F. , and HARRINGTON D. L. Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines PERGAMON 2002
- LEFEBVRE , ARTHUR H. Atomization and Sprays Taylor & Francis 1989
- PASTOR , JOSÉ ANALYSIS OF TRANSIENT LIQUID AND VAPOR ATOMIZATION AND SPRAYS 2011
- ALEIFERIS , PAVLOS G. , and VAN ROMUNDE Z. R. An analysis of spray development with iso-octane, n-pentane, gasoline, ethanol and n-butanol form a multi-hole injector under hot fuel conditions Fuel 2013 143 168
- JÚNIOR , CARLOS ALBERTO GOMES , DA COSTA ROBERTO BERLINI , FRANCO RAFAEL LARA , GUZZO MÁRCIO EXPEDITO , and BARROS JOSÉ EDUARDO MAUTONE Comparative Analysis of Atomization Microscopic Characteristics of Gasoline and Ethanol in GDI Injector SAE Technical Paper , 2015-36-0299
- Guzzo , M. E. , Barros , J. E. M. , Huebner , R. and Valle , R. M. A Computational Methodology for Studying Spray Characteristics of a Gasoline Direct Injection Injector SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0362 2012
- KIM , HYUNG JUN , PARK SU HAN , and LEE CHANG SIK Light intensity and image visualization of GDI injector sprays according to nozzle hole arrangements Optik 2014 2763 2767
- AGARWAL , AVINASH KUMAR , and CHAUDHURY VIPUL H. Spray characteristics of biodiesel/blends in a high pressure constant volume spray chamber Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 2012 212 218